Help! CDs won't mount

Post by Steve Bal » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

If you're sure the CD isn't spinning - i.e. it comes out facing the same way
it went in, then either the drive is dead or the power connector has worked
its way loose. Open the computer and re-seat the power connector. May as well
reseat the SCSI connector as well while you're in there.

If the CD _is_ spinning and you still can't mount a disk, use a SCSI utility
(CD-Rom Toolkit, HD Toolkit, SCSI Probe etc....) and see if it can see the
drive. If not you have a SCSI preoblem - connection, ID conflict....

If it can see the drive and disks _still_ don't mount, you"re missing (some
of) the CD software. You need, at least, Apple CD, Foreign File Access and
Audio CD Access installed.

Steve  = : ^ )

> help!

> my powermac 8500 running 8.6 won't mount CD-ROMS or recognize music CDs int
> the CD drive.

> when i put CDs in they don't spin or anything, and i can open the tray with
> the hardware eject button on the case of the machine.

> i have tried reinstalling both apples CD/DVD driver, as well as an older
> CD-ROM driver. any suggestions?

> thanks,

> john

Help! CDs won't mount

Post by Steve Bal » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

If you're sure the CD doesn't spin - ie. it comes out facing the same way it
went in, then the drive is dead or maybe the power connector to the drive has
come loose Open the computer and re-seat the connector. If the CD is spinning
but doesn't mount, you're missing (some of) the CD software. You need Apple
CD, Foreign File Access and Audio CD Access installed.

Steve  = : ^ )

> help!

> my powermac 8500 running 8.6 won't mount CD-ROMS or recognize music CDs int
> the CD drive.

> when i put CDs in they don't spin or anything, and i can open the tray with
> the hardware eject button on the case of the machine.

> i have tried reinstalling both apples CD/DVD driver, as well as an older
> CD-ROM driver. any suggestions?

> thanks,

> john

1. What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Hey gang-

A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
initialize it.

Suspecting that she'd had a buffer underrun or some other burn error, I
asked her to send another.  When it too could not be read, I got
curious.  I took the CD to work and tried it in a Windows PC.  It
mounted fine!

So, my question is, what kind of Windows formatted CD can't be read on a
Mac??  I have NEVER had any problem mounting any DOS, Windows, ISO 9660,
or Hybrid CD ever.

I asked her if she knew what format she'd burned the disk in, but she
didn't know that or for that matter what burning software she'd used.
Still- it shouldn't matter- the great thing about my Mac is I've always
been able to mount ANY CD.  And I still can- except this one!

I should mention also that it wouldn't mount in either of my CD drives-
not my internal Panasonic 24x CD-ROM or my external Yamaha 8/4/24 CD-R
drive.

My driver software is the latest Intech CD/DVD Speedtools 5.7 and I have
the full OS 9.1 complement of Foreign File access extensions.

Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
Windows PC and not a Mac?

Thanks!

Dave

--

2. Personal Iris Woes

3. io-magic usb cdrw, mounts cd but won't burn

4. Pentascanner, analyze lan traffic

5. CD from PC won't mount in 9.2.1.

6. Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

7. freebie CD-ROM won't mount

8. HELP! Internal drive won't Mount!

9. HELP: Mac Hardrive won't mount

10. Help! Disk images won't mount