The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by Chris Larki » Fri, 04 May 2001 02:21:18

The Ugly Question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?
<insert olde time movie scream by dying actress here>

Ok, so like probably everyone else I'm going bonkers with OS 9.1 and it
crashing all over the place.  I have a few friends that love X because it's
stable.  But they pretty much only use the internet and not many
applications.

Most of the applications I use (Entourage & Office 2001, PALM Desktop for my
KYOCERA SmartPhone 6035) are not yet compatible with OSX. Plus I wonder
about my external hardware... My QueFire CD-R, my HotSync Cradle for my
SmartPhone...etc...

So is it really wise for me to upgrade to X when most of the time I'm going
to be in classic mode ANYWAY?

I'm curious to people's thoughts on this ugly, ugly question.  <insert final
olde time movie scream by dying actress here>

Chris

--
Chris J. T. Larkin, PBX BEAR
Senior Telecom Engineer

The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by Chris Larki » Fri, 04 May 2001 02:30:17

OH FYI: my hardware:

 a G4 Multiprocessor 500 - named Big Bear
 a G3 PowerBook Pismo - named Little Cub
 a QueFire CDR - named Smokey Da' Bear
 a LaCie 40G FireWire Drive - named Stocky Cub
 a Cannon ZR-10 Digital Camcorder - named Voyeur Bear
 a AirPort network - named...of course: "DEN"
 a KYOCERA SmartPhone 6035 & HotSync Cradle - named Bert (as in Ernie's
better half)
 a P133 Windoze 98 machine - named Grandpa Death

(I try to make my posts entertaining)

On 5/2/01 1:21 PM, in article

--
Chris J. T. Larkin, PBX BEAR
Senior Telecom Engineer
**To Send EMAIL remove "NOSPAM" from address.**

The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by Peter Teeso » Fri, 04 May 2001 03:53:00

<snip>

Quote:> > The Ugly Question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?
> > <insert olde time movie scream by dying actress here>

> > Ok, so like probably everyone else I'm going bonkers with OS 9.1 and it
> > crashing all over the place.  I have a few friends that love X because
> > it's
> > stable.  But they pretty much only use the internet and not many
> > applications.

> > Most of the applications I use (Entourage & Office 2001, PALM Desktop
> > for my
> > KYOCERA SmartPhone 6035) are not yet compatible with OSX. Plus I wonder
> > about my external hardware... My QueFire CD-R, my HotSync Cradle for my
> > SmartPhone...etc...

<snip>

IMHO it is probably more worthwhile to find out why you are "crashing
all over the place". OS X is still new and will likely need a few more
months in the maturing/fermenting tanks before it becomes bedrock.

What makes you think that running in Classic mode under X will do
anything for you except allow you to re-launch Classic?

No sir...I recommend you find out why you are crashing now and take the
appropriate action to reduce/eliminate it in 9.1 before adding yet more
variables to the scenario....

respect...

--
"Developing quality software requires a great deal
of effort over a long period of time."

Doug Schmidt - C++ Report May 1996

The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by Chris Larki » Fri, 04 May 2001 05:06:43

Quote:

> IMHO it is probably more worthwhile to find out why you are "crashing
> all over the place". OS X is still new and will likely need a few more
> months in the maturing/fermenting tanks before it becomes bedrock.

Well 9.1 is not stable-- at least in comparison to 9.0.4
I've reloaded the software on all my machines, doesn't help.

According to friends, OSX in Classic mode is more stable then 9.1 alone.

--

Post by Burt Le » Fri, 04 May 2001 06:41:43

> > IMHO it is probably more worthwhile to find out why you are "crashing
> > all over the place". OS X is still new and will likely need a few more
> > months in the maturing/fermenting tanks before it becomes bedrock.

> Well 9.1 is not stable-- at least in comparison to 9.0.4
> I've reloaded the software on all my machines, doesn't help.

> According to friends, OSX in Classic mode is more stable then 9.1 alone.

Well, I don't know why you find 9.1 to be unstable.  My stability has
improved noticeably after moving from 9.0.4 tp 9.1.  Have you checked
for extension conflicts?  Burt

The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by heron ston » Fri, 04 May 2001 12:21:31

yes, i must add the 9.1 is the most stable system
i've ever had, and i run tons of 3rd-party extensions.

actually, i can't remember if my original mac 128
crashed much or not.

--
Ecstatic wonder                                                Heron Stone

Don't settle for anything less.      http://people.we.mediaone.net/herons/

The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

Post by Charles Marti » Fri, 04 May 2001 19:53:45

Quote:

> > IMHO it is probably more worthwhile to find out why you are "crashing
> > all over the place". OS X is still new and will likely need a few more
> > months in the maturing/fermenting tanks before it becomes bedrock.

> Well 9.1 is not stable-- at least in comparison to 9.0.4
> I've reloaded the software on all my machines, doesn't help.

> According to friends, OSX in Classic mode is more stable then 9.1 alone.

9.1 is VERY stable. Remarkably stable. One of the most stable MacOS
releases I've ever seen, and I joined the party back during the System 6
era.

HOWEVER, OS 9.1 is also very different "under the hood" than 8.x releases
of the OS and therefore some extensions cause problems.

Classic (that is OS 9.1 in MacOS X) is only "more stable" because it
doesn't allow you to use all the extensions that are presumably the source
of your problems.

Don't get me wrong -- I love, love, LOVE MacOS X. But your problems won't
be solved by OS X. They will be solved by education.
--
_Chas_
(non-spammers should use "chasm" at mac-dot-com instead of the email above!)

"Call me old-fashioned, but I want to read email with an email client, news with
a newsreader, and browse with a browser. A Swiss army knife is no substitute for
a toolbox." -- Kevin Craig, comp.sys.mac.apps

Post by Charles Marti » Fri, 04 May 2001 19:50:47

Quote:> The Ugly Question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?
> <insert olde time movie scream by dying actress here>

> Ok, so like probably everyone else I'm going bonkers with OS 9.1 and it
> crashing all over the place.  I have a few friends that love X because it's
> stable.  But they pretty much only use the internet and not many
> applications.

> Most of the applications I use (Entourage & Office 2001, PALM Desktop for my
> KYOCERA SmartPhone 6035) are not yet compatible with OSX. Plus I wonder
> about my external hardware... My QueFire CD-R, my HotSync Cradle for my
> SmartPhone...etc...

> So is it really wise for me to upgrade to X when most of the time I'm going
> to be in classic mode ANYWAY?

> I'm curious to people's thoughts on this ugly, ugly question.  <insert final
> olde time movie scream by dying actress here>

Sounds to me like you need to figure out why your OS 9 is not stable first.

While OS X features protected memory, it's not much improvement for
clueless users. (not saying you are one, just that OS X is not idiot-proof
either).

First thing I'd suggest is that you go back in the Extensions Manager and
make a copy of your OS 9 Base extensions, and starting from that adding
only the extensions you absolutely MUST have Palm and MS compatibility.

See if that doesn't improve the stability.

If it does, then begin re-adding extensions ONE BY ONE until you find the
ones that are making your system unstable.

If it doesn't, then you might want to look up a troubleshooting guide, buy
a copy of Norton or DiskWarrior or TechTool, or have a qualified tech give
it a good going over (the latter is a last-resort option).