Any sign of the Macintosh Hardware Book from Addison-Wesley?

Any sign of the Macintosh Hardware Book from Addison-Wesley?

Post by Frank Owe » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 22:30:00

Has anybody seen this book?  According to APDA, it was supposed to be
availible "early 88". I'm not exactly sure what the official title
of the book is, but it's something like "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference
Guide".  I know that APDA has been selling a Draft version,
but my membership has run out, and besides, I want the real one
from a real publisher.

--

AT&T Information Systems
Computer Systems Division, 5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077

Any sign of the Macintosh Hardware Book from Addison-Wesley?

Post by Rob Pfi » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 08:32:00

Quote:>Has anybody seen this book?  According to APDA, it was supposed to be
>availible "early 88". I'm not exactly sure what the official title
>of the book is, but it's something like "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference
>Guide".  I know that APDA has been selling a Draft version,
>but my membership has run out, and besides, I want the real one
>from a real publisher.

        I have seen an Apple Technical Reference Guide that deals with building
NuBus cards for the Macintosh ][. It is very short (about 100 pages) and is
actually a rather small book. It is probably just part of what you are
referring to...

Rob Pfile

Post by William Edward Woo » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 10:16:00

>>Has anybody seen this book?  According to APDA, it was supposed to be
>>availible "early 88". I'm not exactly sure what the official title
>>of the book is, but it's something like "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference
>>Guide".  I know that APDA has been selling a Draft version,
>>but my membership has run out, and besides, I want the real one
>>from a real publisher.

>    I have seen an Apple Technical Reference Guide that deals with building
>NuBus cards for the Macintosh ][. It is very short (about 100 pages) and is
>actually a rather small book. It is probably just part of what you are
>referring to...

The complete list of Addison-Wesley books that I'm aware of are:

"Inside Macintosh, Volumes I, II, III, IV, V"
   - Complete reference to Macintosh Toolbox and OS for 64K ROMS, with
     IM IV being a delta guide for the 128K ROMS and IM V being a delta
     guide for the 256K ROMS.  (Delta guide--lists only those changes from
     the previous volumes)

"Technical Introduction to the Macintosh Family"
   - Introduction to the Macintosh software and hardware for all Macintosh
     computers:  the original Macintosh, the Mac +, Mac SE, and Mac II

"Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family"
   - Introduction to programming the Macintosh system for programmers who
     are new to it

"Macintosh Family Hardware Reference"  <-- This one, maybe?
   - Reference to the Macintosh hardware for all Macintosh computers,
     excluding the Macintosh XL

"Designing Cards and Drivers for the Macintosh II and Macintosh SE"
   - Hardware and device driver reference to the expansion capabilities
     of the Macintosh II and Macintosh SE

"Human Interface Guidelines:  The Apple Desktop Interface"
   - Detailed guidelines for developers implementing the Macintosh User
     Interface

"Apple Numerics Manual"
   - Description of the SANE environment.

I personally own IM I-V, the "Designing Cards" manual, and the "SANE" manual.
I have also seen both the "Technical Introduction", and the "Human
Interface Guide" at B. Dalton Software here and back home in Fresno, Ca.
(Who in Phresberg would want IM I-V?  I dunno, but the B. Dalton's there
had about two dozen IM Vol. V sitting gathering dust...)  I also saw
the "Programmer's Introduction" at MacWorld last January in San Fransisco,
but I haven't seen the "Hardware Reference" so far.  But at MacWorld I didn't
see if the Hardware Reference was there; I had to work the show... :-(

If you're a beginning programmer (beginning on the Mac, that is; not
beginning programming), the "Programmer's Introduction" is a reasonable
place to start, but if you're already sophisticated in Mac Hacking,
the "Programmer's Introduction" is probably a waste of money.  I also
found the "Technical Intro" and the "Human Interface Guide" both wastes
of money, though there are quite a few companies that I'd love to send
their head programmer the Human Interface Guide as a gift... ;-)

I'm sorry that this is overkill in information, but to summarize: the
book is "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference", and I've yet to see it.
But it should be around "real soon now."  (Remember DBase Mac?)
  -  William Edward Woody

Disclamer:  I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm talking about...

Post by Joe Lieman » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 21:16:00

Quote:>Has anybody seen this book?  According to APDA, it was supposed to be
>availible "early 88". I'm not exactly sure what the official title
>of the book is, but it's something like "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference
>Guide".  I know that APDA has been selling a Draft version,

I have seen the book in our bookstore, (Stanford), so it is out.  It looks
useful and a good introduction to Macintosh and Macintosh concepts.

I just quickly glanced through it, but it did not seem to be just a
hardware reference manual.  It talked about topics unique to Macintosh (to
most PC users at least) like event driven programs, resources, etc.

Good book to check out.

Joe Liemandt

Post by Dave Lyo » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 17:03:00

 >Has anybody seen this book?  According to APDA, it was supposed to be
 >availible "early 88". I'm not exactly sure what the official title
 >of the book is, but it's something like "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference
 >Guide".  I know that APDA has been selling a Draft version,

I've seen a book out from them that covers designing cards for the Mac II
and the Mac SE.  Is that what you're talking about ?  If so let me know and
I could e-mail you the specifics.

* This doesn't seem to contain any opinions does it ?
* If so they're not Microware's.

Dave Lyons

1. FS: Apple ][ Books from Addison-Wesley (9/12)

ImageWriter LQ Reference, ISBN: 0-201-17751-X, $5.00, Quantity 1.
Apple //e Technical Reference Manual, ISBN: 0-201-17750-1, $10.00, Quantity 1.
Apple //gs Toolbox Reference Volume 2, ISBN:  0-201-17747-1, $15.00, Quantity
1.

Buyer pays shipping.  Prepaid only!  All funds are in US dollars.  Money orders
only.  So on, and so forth...

2. ISA FEATURE PACK 1

3. FS: Apple ][ Books from Addison-Wesley

4. Urgent Requirement:Java/J2EE developer (Junior/Midlevel/Senior level)

5. GS/OS educational software from Addison-Wesley

6. AI Jobs

7. FS: IIgs magazines and Addison Wesley Ref Books

8. Natural instrument sounds

9. FS: IIgs Magazines and Addison Wesley Ref. Books

10. Addison Wesley books

11. FS: Apple IIgs Addison Wesley Reference Books

12. TeXtures from Addison Wesley