Anyone here has a Canon Powershot S50 ?

Post by Pascal Zembr » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:39:49

Hello, just got my Powershot S50 and I'm looking at the software to
transfer my pictures to my OSX computer. Well, apparently, only the file
viewer utily allows that...am I right ?

However, I still didn't find a way to transfer movies from the Camera to
the computer. Any idea over here ?

Thanks for your help, Pascal

Post by Kyle » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:18:53

> Hello, just got my Powershot S50 and I'm looking at the software to
> transfer my pictures to my OSX computer. Well, apparently, only the file
> viewer utily allows that...am I right ?

> However, I still didn't find a way to transfer movies from the Camera to
> the computer. Any idea over here ?

> Thanks for your help, Pascal

You'll want to try iPhoto's import capability.  The Canon S50 is listed
as a compatible camera.

To have iPhoto automatically start when you plug your camera in, you
should check in the preferences of the "Image Capture" application and
ensure that iPhoto is selected under "Camera Preferences".

HTH

Kyle

Post by Pascal Zembr » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:24:42

>> Hello, just got my Powershot S50 and I'm looking at the software to
>> transfer my pictures to my OSX computer. Well, apparently, only the
>> file  viewer utily allows that...am I right ?   However, I still
>> didn't find a way to transfer movies from the Camera to  the computer.
>> Any idea over here ?  Thanks for your help, Pascal

> You'll want to try iPhoto's import capability.  The Canon S50 is
> listed  as a compatible camera.

> To have iPhoto automatically start when you plug your camera in, you
> should check in the preferences of the "Image Capture" application and
> ensure that iPhoto is selected under "Camera Preferences".

> HTH

> Kyle

Thanks for the tip. iPhoto is not what I need since only deals with
Pictures and besides is a little bit "too user friendly" to me (creates
a shit load of subfolder and parasite files when you just want your
picture files). All I wanted was something to extract Pictures AND
movies from my S50. I think I found what I needed in Image Capture (
without iPhoto)...However, I would have sooooo much loved having just
another disk mounting on the the Desktop whenever I connect the camera...
anybody knows why this is no longer possible with the new Canon cameras ???

Pascal

Post by Kyle » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:54:46

>>>Hello, just got my Powershot S50 and I'm looking at the software to
>>>transfer my pictures to my OSX computer. Well, apparently, only the
>>>file  viewer utily allows that...am I right ?   However, I still
>>>didn't find a way to transfer movies from the Camera to  the computer.
>>>Any idea over here ?  Thanks for your help, Pascal

>>You'll want to try iPhoto's import capability.  The Canon S50 is
>>listed  as a compatible camera.

>>To have iPhoto automatically start when you plug your camera in, you
>>should check in the preferences of the "Image Capture" application and
>>ensure that iPhoto is selected under "Camera Preferences".

>>HTH

>>Kyle

> Thanks for the tip. iPhoto is not what I need since only deals with
> Pictures and besides is a little bit "too user friendly" to me (creates
> a shit load of subfolder and parasite files when you just want your
> picture files). All I wanted was something to extract Pictures AND
> movies from my S50. I think I found what I needed in Image Capture (
> without iPhoto)...However, I would have sooooo much loved having just
> another disk mounting on the the Desktop whenever I connect the camera...
> anybody knows why this is no longer possible with the new Canon cameras ???

> Pascal

Ahh, then do what I do with my Canon A40.  I've got a SanDisk USB CF
card reader that I leave hooked up all the time.  I take the CF card out
of the camera, insert it in the reader, it shows up as an attached
volume, drag the pictures/movies to where I want them on the hard drive,
eject the card and all is well.

TTFN
        Kyle