freebie CD-ROM won't mount

Post by Patrick McNama » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi-

Lately I've gotten my hands on some Mac magazines from the UK, both of which
came with CD-ROMs loaded with shareware and freeware. When I put the CDs in my
CD player (Apple 300i), they spin forever, making quite a racket, and either
take forever to show up on the desktop, or never do, and I get a message about
the disc being unreadable. It's not the drive itself, 'cause I have no problem
reading a variety of other discs (Mac, ISO, music, PhotoCD). The discs seem
to be in perfect condition with no scratches.

Any ideas?

Patrick McNamara
dad to Connor (11/93) and Colleen (5/95)
"Giving money and power to government is like giving
whiskey and car keys to *age boys." -PJ O'Rourke

freebie CD-ROM won't mount

Post by John Warwi » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Hi-

> Lately I've gotten my hands on some Mac magazines from the UK, both of which
> came with CD-ROMs loaded with shareware and freeware. When I put the CDs
in my
> CD player (Apple 300i), they spin forever, making quite a racket, and either
> take forever to show up on the desktop, or never do, and I get a message
about
> the disc being unreadable. It's not the drive itself, 'cause I have no
problem
> reading a variety of other discs (Mac, ISO, music, PhotoCD). The discs seem
> to be in perfect condition with no scratches.

> Any ideas?

> Patrick McNamara
> dad to Connor (11/93) and Colleen (5/95)
> "Giving money and power to government is like giving
> whiskey and car keys to *age boys." -PJ O'Rourke

MacFormat disks in particular will not run on the Matshita drives that are
common in many 6100/7100/8100 machines. They (MacFormat, not
Matshita)acknowledged the problem about six months ago, but have done
nothing about it. "The Mac" disks seem to suffer from the same problem.

I don't really know where the problem is or what causes it, but it is a
known problem

regards,
JW

--
John Warwick

freebie CD-ROM won't mount

Post by alle » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Perhaps these are multi-session CD's. Or maybe you need an extention by
the name of "Foriegn File Access" or maybe it is "ISO 9660"  I don't really
recall which does what. I hope I helped a little.

1. CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

All of a sudden my CD-ROM player will not read data CD-ROM's.  It will accept
audio CD's with no problem (and play them).  But if I put in a disk CD-ROM it
will keep trying to read it over and over again without sucess until I eject
it manually.  It was working fine a week ago?

To make sure it was  not the software , I booted up on the disk with the inits
and it had the same problem.  The player is the old Apple CD-ROM player.

Thanks!

| James L. Terman "Future Dead White Male" | Science may set limits to know-  |

|                                          |               - Bertrand Russell |

2. looking for software support for CAN

3. What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

4. Attributes without values, is it OK?

5. io-magic usb cdrw, mounts cd but won't burn

6. netscape print preview

7. Help! CDs won't mount

8. Anyone seen American Heritage Dictionary or Columbia Concise Encyclopedia?

9. CD from PC won't mount in 9.2.1.

10. CD-ROMs will not mount on 7200's after imaging.

11. GS/OS and mounting CD-ROM discs

12. Mounting CD-ROM. Grrr.

13. Mac IIvi refuses to mount Matsushita singlespeed CD-ROM - HELP!!