Power Book G4 vs Intel/AMD 64-bit

Post by Arth » Tue, 28 May 2002 18:17:51

Hi...

I'm thinking of buying a power book g4. although the price is a bit
steep here in malaysia, i feel it's worth the money. i went through
the features; i noticed that it's running at 128 bit. Is this faster
than the future intel / amd 64 bit processor?

Power Book G4 vs Intel/AMD 64-bit

Post by John Kroecke » Wed, 29 May 2002 00:35:15

I'm not an expert, but the only thing that's 128 bits on the G4 is the
AltiVec unit. From what I've read, the Powerbook 800MHz uses the MPC7455
processor, which is a 32 bit implementation of the PowerPC architecture. See
the link below

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Id=01M98653

A good review of the Powerbook 800 can be seen at

http://www.veryComputer.com/#st...

If you're deciding between two different architectures and cost is an issue,
I would "test drive" the apps I would be using on each system to see which
one performs better and feels better.

John

--
reply to: john bert 2 at e* dot com

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
> Date: 27 May 2002 02:17:51 -0700
> Subject: Power Book G4 vs Intel/AMD 64-bit

> Hi...

> I'm thinking of buying a power book g4. although the price is a bit
> steep here in malaysia, i feel it's worth the money. i went through
> the features; i noticed that it's running at 128 bit. Is this faster
> than the future intel / amd 64 bit processor?

1. Power book G4

It doesn't seem that the Power book has many programs that are compatable
with it? Is that true?

I'm thinking about buying one but am afraid it is drasticly slower than
Intel based computers?

Is this all true or is it all a mith?    If I do get one is thier some kind
of program that allows the mac to be able to read windows based files?

2. T-Mobile and its ways

3. Interfacing Power Book G4 with Panasonic Printer?

4. After Win2k unable to use Outlook 2000

5. G4 IMAC vs. G4 TOWER

6. dired-x functionality in 20.4

7. Old 8-bit video vs. new 8-bit video

8. Can I somehow MOVE pagefile.sys to the top of my HD?

9. 32 bit vs. 16 bit 386 and 030

10. 16-bit C Vs 32-bit C.

11. Help me choose-Mac 840av or Intel box + NeXTStep for Intel

12. _articlDynodex; ugh (was:Address Book Plus vs. DynoDex vs. ?)

13. Address Book Plus vs. DynoDex vs. ?