Slow Hotsync to SD -- is this normal? (T|T)

Slow Hotsync to SD -- is this normal? (T|T)

Post by Jef » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:13:17

OK I know that transferring files to an SD card is slow, but I'm
wondering if mine is defective or something.  I moved about 80mbs of
mp3s onto the card in my Tungsten T and it took hours.  If I move my
Avantgo database to the card (using the new Beta client), the hotsync
to update that takes a very long time too.

Now I know this is a problem normally and I've ordered a card reader.
But I'm wondering if I'm experiencing something beyond the ordinary
here.

And as an aside:

My parents' Canon digicam has the same SD cards.  Plug it into the USB
port and you can view the SD card using Explorer.  Why didn't Palm
implement something like this for the Palm, anyway?

Slow Hotsync to SD -- is this normal? (T|T)

Post by Aardvar » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:49:01

Quote:> OK I know that transferring files to an SD card is slow, but I'm
> wondering if mine is defective or something.  I moved about 80mbs of
> mp3s onto the card in my Tungsten T and it took hours.  If I move my
> Avantgo database to the card (using the new Beta client), the hotsync
> to update that takes a very long time too.

Are you transferring the files to SD using hotsync ? Be prepared for a long
long long long wait. You'll get far better speed using SyncWizard or
CardExport. Try their trial versions. Pretty nice. They allow you to use
your Palm as a virtual drive on your PC.

Slow Hotsync to SD -- is this normal? (T|T)

Post by Jef » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:29:26

Quote:> Are you transferring the files to SD using hotsync ? Be prepared for a long
> long long long wait. You'll get far better speed using SyncWizard or
> CardExport. Try their trial versions. Pretty nice. They allow you to use
> your Palm as a virtual drive on your PC.

THANK YOU!  Precisely the answer I was after.  :)

1. Texas Avigo is SLOW SLOW SLOW...

I Bought a Texas Avigo last month and I'm really desapointed.

        Avigo just come with one Notepad program. The maximum size of a text is
very small and with a 10K size text you take more than 2 seconds just to
introduce one single letter.

        Avigo expenses is also very slow. I have 80 entries and I need more than 4
seconds just to do a page down. I need a lot of time to see my expense
list. It's impossible to use.

        With some other applications it's the same.

I'm going to buy a Pilot this week.

Don't Buy it!!!

Rui Oliveira

2. Modal Logic and AI -- References Needed

3. SD Card 128MB Access Time is really slow

4. How to distinguish in Header checks if email is incoming or outgoing

5. M505 SD/MMC card very slow after more then 10mb stored

6. ThumbNailer 7.13.0.0 LZW-free

7. Am I the only one having hotsync problems with my Visor Deluxe?

8. Win95, WFW and EtherTalk ...

9. Hotsync & SD card on Palm Tungsten

10. slow hotsync palm-V on G3 mac

11. Vx - PC hotsync too slow

12. does anybody remodeleted "Palm SD Backup Card" to nomral 16MB Palm SD MemoryCard?

13. palmtops that use normal floppy discs?