wisdom from compUSA

Post by KJohn794 » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

i was just at compusa, looking at pda's.  the guy kept on telling me i
better just get a win ce.  i tried out the psion 5 (it seemed to kick
butt, to me, and it looks really cool), the pilot, and others.  he
continued to steer me toward win ce.  getting annoyed, i said, " i think
ce sucks".  he said, "it doesn't matter: it will be the standard".
anyway, i thought this was amusing.  "use this, it sucks.  everyone will
use it someday.  maybe it will get better".  if another company came out
with the equivalent product, it would sell poorly, be blown out, and never
be seen again.  does microsoft deserve this kind of generous treatment in
the marketplace.  anyway, i apologize for the rant, but i think its too
bad people have this attitude.  kelly.

wisdom from compUSA

Post by Ed Blac » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Dear Beavis,

How does Windows CE suck?  Does it suck as much as AOL?  How cool is the
Psion? Is it simply cool or does it ROCK?

--
Ed Black
Edwin M. Black Consulting

wisdom from compUSA

Post by Gary Goodma » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I agree with Kelley!  Those bozos at CompUSA know don't know a thing
anyway!  PalmPilot users are creating the following, with plenty of suport
and software.  CE is just too cumbersome!

wisdom from compUSA

Post by Phil Steven » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Your basic problem was attempting to "talk" to the rocket scientists at
CompUSA.  The presumption of your visit was obviously that the staff had
some clue regarding the PDA markets, products, capabilities, and future
developments.

I would suggest that in order to prevent future recurring cases of
"Incompusa Mentis" that you take the following prescription:

do your own research
read un-biased trade journals
use the use-net groups
form you own opinion

Take this prescription liberally and especially prior to visits to any
computer/electronic/software retail business.

Phil Stevens
Northern Telecom

Post by Eric Kou » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>looking at pda's.  the guy kept on telling me i
>better just get a win ce.

Heh.  I walked into a CompUSA to *buy* a laptop (had already done my
homework and even called ahead to check if they had one).  Walked to the
laptop aisle and met a brand new employee, started work several days ago,
looked like a college student.  I told him "I want to buy this one, and
I've already phoned to put my name on one".  "Only two people can open the
laptop storage area, so please wait here while I get your machine."  First
PA message for the manager.  Wait 5 minutes.  Second PA message for the
manager.  Wait 10 minutes.  Employee says "He's not answering, I'll go
looking for the Manager and bring him here."  The Manager is busy talking
about mouse pads to a Suit and ignores the Employee.  Wait 10 minutes (with
the Employee standing right beside him).  Suit leaves the store and Manager
walks back (Employee in tow and still being ignored) behind the cash
registers and starts fiddling with returned gear.  Wait 10 minutes.
Manager leaves the cash registers (still ignoring the Employee) and sees me
in the laptop area.  Immediately walks over and asks if I need anything.
"I want to buy this one, and I've already phoned to put my name on one."
Employee gives up tailing the Manager, and the Manager runs off.  Wait 5
minutes.  Manager returns and introduces a Big Fat Guy and says "Here's my
technical expert who will answer any questions you have about that laptop
or any similar designs."

"HEY IDIOT!  I'm not here to *look* at laptops, I'm here to BUY one.  And
I've been waiting here 40 minutes for you to go open the damn laptop
storage so your Employee here can run my laptop through the cash register!"
Stoopid.  Almost beyond ridicule.

Eric The Kouba

wisdom from compUSA

Post by Dan » Wed, 27 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I went to Comp USA to have a 'hands on' test of the various palmtops.
When the employee asked me if I needed any help, I said "no just
looking"

He left me alone

danh

Quote:>i was just at compusa, looking at pda's.  the guy kept on telling me i
>better just get a win ce.  i tried out the psion 5 (it seemed to kick
>butt, to me, and it looks really cool), the pilot, and others.  he
>continued to steer me toward win ce.  getting annoyed, i said, " i think
>ce sucks".  he said, "it doesn't matter: it will be the standard".
>anyway, i thought this was amusing.  "use this, it sucks.  everyone will
>use it someday.  maybe it will get better".  if another company came out
>with the equivalent product, it would sell poorly, be blown out, and never
>be seen again.  does microsoft deserve this kind of generous treatment in
>the marketplace.  anyway, i apologize for the rant, but i think its too
>bad people have this attitude.  kelly.

1. CompUSA - Technical Assurance Program

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Let me share with you the experience I have had with using CompUSA's TAP
(Technical Assurance Program) for my Palm Vx.

Almost two years ago to the month, I purchased a Palm Vx from CompUSA along
with their TAP 2 year PDA Replacement package ($100).  The TAP package was
presented to me so that I can " ... protect my investment ..." as the
salesman stated.  Being an avid Palm user, I thought that this would be a
good package due to being told that " ... if you have ANY problems with your
PDA during the two years, bring it in for a replacement of equal or lesser
value with NO questions asked".  Well, my Palm Vx began to die (glad that I
use HotSync often) and I took it into my local CompUSA store to use the "2
year PDA Replacement" package I had purchased.  I was told by a store clerk
that I would have to wait for approval from their corporate headquarters if
the PDA is to be repaired or replaced and that the process would take from 5
to 10 business days.  I was also told that they no longer honor a
replacement of equal value, but replacement of equal functionality.  In
addition, I was told that any prior Technical Assurance Programs have been
superseded with their current TAP processes and procedures.  After a lengthy
discussion with a store manager, Technical Assurance Program rep and finally
a CompUSA corporate customer service rep, I now wait 'patiently' to find out
if my PDA will be honored under the CompUSA Technical Assurance Program.

Long story short.
Unless you are willing to wait for CompUSA to make a decision to honor a
program that THEY represent and sell to you,  save your pennies on their
Technical Assurance Program or give your business to someone else.

2. What has AI achieved?

3. Compusa strikes again

4. Tiny IDs Can Track Almost Anything

5. Visor Prism for $249 After Rebate - Send This to CompUSA!

6. email address adds mailto:

7. Compact Flash Cards on Sale at CompUSA through 07/08/00

8. L.O.S.A Contribution Form

9. You've gotta love this - PocketPC at CompUSA & MS rep

10. Casio E-105 in stock Compusa, Skokie, Illinois

11. Final story of the $149 NEC HPC at CompUSA

12. Palm V allready avaiable at CompUSA ?!