Windows CE 2.0 Recommended Memory

Post by Lawrence E. Olive » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Probably "hyperbole", but remember that they are talking about all memory --
RAM & ROM.

Larry

>At John Schettino's request, I went back and rummaged through last week's
>newspapers.  The quote about Windows CE 2.0 recommended memory comes from a
>Phillips Velo 1 ad.  Quoting the copy:  "...  The recommended memory for
>Windows CE 2.0 is 8MB, so your 4+4MB Velo will take advantage of all its
>features ...".  Is this just advertising hyperbole or does CE 2.0, in its
full
>HPC configuration, need > 4MB?

begin 666 Lawrence Edward Oliver.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"DXZ3VQI=F5R.TQA=W)E;F-E.T5D=V%R9 T*1DXZ3&%W

M-34[56YI=&5D(%-T871E<PT*3$%"14P[5T]22SM%3D-/1$E.1SU154]4140M
M4%))3E1!0DQ%.E!/($)O>" Q,S$S-34],$0],$$],$0],$$],$0],$%4>6QE

M.U!2148[24Y415).150Z;&]L:79E<D!R87!I9')A;7 N8V]M#0I%3D0Z5D-!

`
end
end

Windows CE 2.0 Recommended Memory

Post by John Sobe » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way to figure out how menory is used by system?
My NEC has 8 megs ROM, 4 megs RAM

John

>Probably "hyperbole", but remember that they are talking about all memory --
>RAM & ROM.

>Larry

>>At John Schettino's request, I went back and rummaged through last week's
>>newspapers.  The quote about Windows CE 2.0 recommended memory comes from a
>>Phillips Velo 1 ad.  Quoting the copy:  "...  The recommended memory for
>>Windows CE 2.0 is 8MB, so your 4+4MB Velo will take advantage of all its
>>features ...".  Is this just advertising hyperbole or does CE 2.0, in its
>full
>>HPC configuration, need > 4MB?

Windows CE 2.0 Recommended Memory

Post by Douglas S. Raebur » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

According to the info on MS's site, the entire operating system fits into
2MB ROM, and it loads using only 512K.  Sounds like Phillips is trying to
spread a little FUD to stress the memory expansion capability of the Velo.

Quote:> At John Schettino's request, I went back and rummaged through last week's

Post by John Schetti » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>According to the info on MS's site, the entire operating system fits into
>2MB ROM, and it loads using only 512K.  Sounds like Phillips is trying to
>spread a little FUD to stress the memory expansion capability of the Velo.

>> At John Schettino's request, I went back and rummaged through last week's
>> newspapers.  The quote about Windows CE 2.0 recommended memory comes from
>> Phillips Velo 1 ad.  Quoting the copy:  "...  The recommended memory for
>> Windows CE 2.0 is 8MB, so your 4+4MB Velo will take advantage of all its
>> features ...".  Is this just advertising hyperbole or does CE 2.0, in its
>full
>> HPC configuration, need > 4MB?

I've done some more homework as well, and the answer is probably
something like *it depends on what you're trying to do*. I expect
running a Java app, VB app, the web browser, and a spreadsheet all at
the same time on a 4mb machine (with say 3mb system/1mb storage) might
be a bit tight. I think the Java VM is around a meg. If you had an 8mb
machine (which I do) you can gibe the OS 4 or 5mb and still have lots
of storage.

I'll stick with my original statement - HP has 4mb machines and is
offering 2.0 upgrades, so it must be possible to get it to work in
4mb. 8mb would be "better", but 4 should be possible.
 -=====

 John Schettino

 (you know not to use the biteme part, right?)
 http://members.aol.com/pdcjohns

Windows CE 2.0 Recommended Memory

Post by Jav At » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>According to the info on MS's site, the entire operating system fits into
>2MB ROM, and it loads using only 512K.  Sounds like Phillips is trying to
>spread a little FUD to stress the memory expansion capability of the Velo.

This may be MS mantra also,,,,, I find ot hard to believe that MS fits
the OS and all the apps into 2MB ROM, especially since all of the
CPU's are RISC CPU's which typically require more instructions to
execute a given function.

My guess is the kernel, gdi, and user and perhaps  the device drivers
firt into 2MB. The apps take additional space....

Regards,
Jav Atar

1. Memory management in Windows CE 2.0

after installing some programs and data records (contacts, appointments)
the memory situation on my nino (8mb) is as follows:

storage (1700kb/3900kb)
program (1900kb/4100kb)

this is the situation after maybe two days of reset. when i now soft
reset my system the memory changes to:

storage (1700kb/3900kb)
program (1400kb/4100kb)

obviously some 500kb of program memory was released by this reset. i saw
numbers as high as 1.5mb. what is the memory management like on ce. is
there perhaps a memory leak?

what's the difference between storage and program memory anyway?

(btw, i never had this behaviour on a palm platform)

 "work less, do more..."                                  icq 9270883

2. Publishing Overhead Question

3. Recommend book on Windows CE for Palm-Size?

4. Atari Startup and Shutdown Screens for Win

5. FS: Win CE 2.0 Upgrade ROM + Memory Upgrade for Compaq and Casio H/PCs

6. Preliminary FAQ -- send updates to rbthomas@rutgers.edu

7. Windows CE Apps Wishlist / Windows CE Webring

8. select() call does not return after timeout

9. Windows CE or Pilot My decision after playing with the Windows CE system

10. format utility for Windows CE 2.0

11. TKG: Windows CE 2.0 upgrade voor Velo 1

12. VENDO palmtop HP 620LX (color) con WINDOWS CE 2.0

13. Windows CE 1.0/2.0 synch problems