HELP! Windows NT and Windows CE Setup

Post by Lindsey Steine » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have been trying to install Windows CE for my Casio E-10 on Windows NT 4.0
on a Dell Laptop. I have a modem card set to COM2 and a network card
installed. I have a serial port set to COM1 on the back of the laptop which
I plugged the Casio dock into.

1. Setup tells me that I have to uninstall RAS, then the CE setup will
re-install.  OK I did that.
2. Setup tells me that I will have to reinstall service pack 3. OK I did
that.

Windows CE keeps telling me at the end of the setup that it can not
communicate with the device.  It keeps trying to run the communications on
the modem card. The drop down box in the CE communication's setup windows
does not even list COM 1. Only the modem.

Anyone had experience with this, and what might the solution be.

Thanks in advance....

LS.

HELP! Windows NT and Windows CE Setup

Post by Know1Speci » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been trying to install Windows CE for my Casio E-10 on Windows NT 4.0
>on a Dell Laptop. I have a modem card set to COM2 and a network card
>installed. I have a serial port set to COM1 on the back of the laptop which
>I plugged the Casio dock into.

>1. Setup tells me that I have to uninstall RAS, then the CE setup will
>re-install.  OK I did that.
>2. Setup tells me that I will have to reinstall service pack 3. OK I did
>that.

>Windows CE keeps telling me at the end of the setup that it can not
>communicate with the device.  It keeps trying to run the communications on
>the modem card. The drop down box in the CE communication's setup windows
>does not even list COM 1. Only the modem.

>Anyone had experience with this, and what might the solution be.

>Thanks in advance....

>LS.

I would uninstall WinCE services. Uninstall RAS.
Install RAS, then apply SP3. Go to Admin Tools, Diagnostics and
confirm that you have one serial port that was assigned and irq. This
should be your COM 1.

Then install WinCE services. It should install the Dial-Up Network
Serial Cable on COM 1.
You can confirm this by checking your RAS configuration. If it isn't
in there, then click ADD to see if it is in the list of devices you
can add.
I believe the WinCE installation does warn you to make sure no other
programs or services are using the COM port that you want to configure
the WinCE service for.

1. ?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to a
windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
Here's my situation.
I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data and
then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I would
like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and it
appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like the
idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
options.
Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks Tim

2. Cisco 2600 Console Problem

3. Handspring Visor with Windows 95 & Windows NT

4. NLB w/ 2 nic's vs 1

5. Windows CE Apps Wishlist / Windows CE Webring

6. Help : FS 98 or Sierra's Pro Pilot ??

7. Windows CE or Pilot My decision after playing with the Windows CE system

8. IrDa convert to Appliance Control

9. windows ce setup problem - neverending stylus calibration

10. Windows CE 2.1 - New partnership on NT workstation

11. ANN: freeware game - PURITY tests for Windows CE and Win98/NT

12. Windows CE Services 2.1 on NT 4.0

13. SILICON VALLEY: Windows CE/NT/95 Programmers VC++ MFC