HP200 questions not in faq or manual

Post by Jim Boye » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

:     I got an HP200 LX at Staples last week and it's getting close to the time
: to change the batteries for the first time.  So I've got at couple of questions.

: - can I leave the AC adapter plugged in while changing the batteries?  The
:   manual says to turn the machine off, but doesn't mention the adapter.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  The AC adapter MUST be plugged in to
charge the batteries.  You can operate the computer while it is charging.
In fact, you cannot turn it OFF while it is charging.

: - can I put new (uncharged) NiCd batteries in and charge them in the HP200 or
:   do they need to be charged the first time externally?

I was successful buying Hi-Capacity Radio Shack Nicads (850mA) and plugging
them in and charging them.  If they are in fact totally dead, others have
reported problems. (but that was not my experience.)

: - the standard charge rate for NiCd batteries (at least the Panasonic
:   NiCd's in the Digi-Key) catalog seems to be 1/10 for the capacity.  That is
:   a 500 mAh cell needs 50 mA for the standard charge.  Given the HP200's
:   100/45 mA charging rate can I use the high capacity cells like the 900 mAh?
:   Any recomendations on specific cells which work well?

I have had no problems using 850mA batteries with the standard HP AC adapter.

: - I gather from the discussion on batteries that the correct strategy for
:   using NiCd's is to not have the HP200 charging when plugged in as the
:   default, wait for the low battery warning and then set it to charge and
:   leave it charging over night (~12 hrs).  Does this seem to be a reasonable
:   plan?

I use mine daily (usually off of AC power.)  Once a week I switch it to charge
mode for the 8 hours I'm at work.  It's never died yet.  I carry extra
alkalines just in case but have never had to use them.  I have read many
technical articles that say the "memory effect" for nicads is impossible to
see in normal use.  The way most nicads life is reduced is by over-charging.
So don't charge the batteries every day (although this may be OK for NiMH's).

Just my own non-expert opinion (not my empoyer's).

-- Jim

Post by Jonathan Sivie » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

   Thanks for your assistance.

Jonathan

|  Jonathan Sivier               |  Ballo ergo sum.               |

|  Flight Simulation Lab         |              - des Cartwright  |
|  Beckman Institute             |                                |
|  405 N. Mathews                |  SWMDG - Single White Male     |
|  Urbana, IL  61801             |          Dance Gypsy           |
|  Work: 217/244-1923            |                                |
|  Home: 217/359-8225            |  Have shoes, will dance.       |

HP200 questions not in faq or manual

Post by Bob Sco » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>- can I leave the AC adapter plugged in while changing the batteries?  The
>  manual says to turn the machine off, but doesn't mention the adapter.

 The lithium backup battery will maintain the memory while you change the
AA cells

Quote:>- can I put new (uncharged) NiCd batteries in and charge them in the HP200 or

  Yep!

Quote:>- the standard charge rate for NiCd batteries (at least the Panasonic
>  NiCd's in the Digi-Key) catalog seems to be 1/10 for the capacity.  That is
>  a 500 mAh cell needs 50 mA for the standard charge.  Given the HP200's
>  100/45 mA charging rate can I use the high capacity cells like the 900 mAh?
>  Any recomendations on specific cells which work well?

  The Radio Shack HI CAPACITY batteries work fine.  There's several
workarounds to the charging rate problem, including an external charger
(popular with Ni-MH cells).  I usually just plug it in Friday evening,
then unplug/plug the adapter before I hit the sack to get a second round
of high current charging.

Quote:>- I gather from the discussion on batteries that the correct strategy for
>  using NiCd's is to not have the HP200 charging when plugged in as the
>  default, wait for the low battery warning and then set it to charge and
>  leave it charging over night (~12 hrs).  Does this seem to be a reasonable
>  plan?

  Reasonable to me....

Cheers,
  Bob

HP200 questions not in faq or manual

Post by David Feust » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I fooled around with NiCds for a couple of months and then finally
switched to lithium batteries. My life life re the 200lx is much
simpler now. The 200lx also weighs a lot less with the lithiums.
--

Fort Wayne, IN          Or else access http://www.mixi.net/~feustel/
219-483-1857

HP200 questions not in faq or manual

Post by Alexander Gutfel » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I fooled around with NiCds for a couple of months and then finally
>switched to lithium batteries. My life life re the 200lx is much
>simpler now. The 200lx also weighs a lot less with the lithiums.

Do you know anything about cost per hour and environmental hazards of these
two battery types?

I think there are more factors then the convenience (much nicer mit LI) and
weight, but I don't have enough information to come to a personal conclusion.

'lexu
|Alexander Gutfeldt,    EDV Beauftragter,       Immatrikulationsdienste|
|------------------------------------------------------------+ Uni Bern|
|Gesellschaftsstrasse 6, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland (office)  +---------|
|Landoltstrasse 28, CH-3007 Bern, Switzerland (home)                   |

1. PC110 questions not found in FAQ

I too am about ready to go get a PC110, but then I seen the questions
about the Libretto 20, great, so now I have to figure it out again.

My questions are:
Is the 260 MB HD that comes with the YDW internal or is it using the
PCMCIA slot?  (if it hogs the PCMCIA type III slot, how can I access
the LAN to download to the HD?  That's what I'm after...)

To use an external mouse and/or keyboard I understand I need a port
replicator, but it's not clear if that's the "docking station" looking
thingy or something smaller that can be carried with it, like the
pictures I see of the Libretto.

Can either the PC110's screen or the Libretto's screen be either
folded all the way back upon itself, under the keyboard (360 degrees)
or at least far enough to lay flat (180 degrees).  I plan to use it
for moving map display with GPS on the motorcycle and it would have to
fit under the map pouch on the tankbag.  The DTR-1 separates
completely from the keyboard, but I'm tired of the small (40mb) HD.

Finally, since I intend to run either with the MC, will it run off of
12 volts or less? (what's the brick output?)

Thank you in advance for going to the trouble to help me out with
these questions!

Arno

2. Important information regarding your usenet service

3. FAQ for HP200?

4. Stacker 3.0 patch...

5. FAQ not found. Contents of psion S3 archive.

6. Ricoh 6201 help

7. HP 19B Question - Missing Manual

8. Original Author Looking for His Programs ...

9. Q: not in FAQ, Pro really better than Pers?

10. Format of phone database (not in the FAQ!)

11. Mit Visor Deluxe und Nokia 6210 ins Internet?

12. Plug-ins (code resources in other files) - how?