Windows CE, Windows 3.1, MS Works 3.0 compatibility

Windows CE, Windows 3.1, MS Works 3.0 compatibility

Post by James H. Sterli » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

I have three computers, one at work (my own, not company owned), one
at home and one for the road (ThinkPad 360c). They are not powerful
enough to run Win 95. I can't afford the $6000 + it would take to
upgrade all three. Compatibility is very important to me, so......

My question is: "Are any of the new Windows CE palmtops (Casio,
Philips, NEC or Compaq) compatible with Windows 3.1 and Microsoft
Works 3.0? Also what about the compatibility of Psion and Sharp with
Win 3.1 & MS Works?"

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

James H. Sterling (Jim), Field Manager

Postal: Moody Dunbar, Inc., P.O. Box 68, Limestone, TN 37681 USA
   UPS: 3202 Highway 107, Chuckey, TN 37641
  Tel: Voice: 423-257-2131 Fax: 423-257-3649 Wats: 800-251-8202

Windows CE, Windows 3.1, MS Works 3.0 compatibility

Post by pdcchr.. » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
Windows CE systems support only Windows 95 and NT.

Sorry,

Chris De Herrera
Pen Based Computing Web Page:
http://members.aol.com/pdcchrisd/

Post by James Robbi » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>My question is: "Are any of the new Windows CE palmtops (Casio,
>Philips, NEC or Compaq) compatible with Windows 3.1 and Microsoft
>Works 3.0? Also what about the compatibility of Psion and Sharp with
>Win 3.1 & MS Works?"

The WinCE machines are NOT compatible with Win3.1 or Win95 apps. They don't
run on an 8086 compatible processor and must have apps written especially
for them.

I know there is a version of Word and Excel on the Casio machine, but I
don't know what file formats it imports or exports. Try the Microsoft web
page or go to your local Circuit City or Office Depot and play with one.

Jim

P.S. - Did anyone at Microsoft note that WinCE is spelled just like wince?
As in "I look at your machine and wince painfully." :)

Arcturius Aleator  SCA - Buckston-on-Eno, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia

"If builders built buildings like programmers write programs, then the first
 woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization."

1. Windows CE and Windows 3.1 Compatibility

I would be very anxious to own a Velo 1, HP 320, or Casiopea (sp) with
Windows CE, but at the same time I prefer to stay with Windows 3.1 on my
PC. Just personal preference. Question:  are the 2 operating systems
compatible?  I suspect not - and if that's true, are there any software
add-ons that would force compatibility without coverting my PC to Win95?
/// Phil

2. Metropolitan Area Networks in USA

3. Synching/Uploading Windows CE <-> Windows 3.1/DOS ???

4. Money 2002 changing the filename

5. Window CE--sync with Windows 3.1?

6. IBM Cset++ forsale

7. Is there a link between NR2 and PGP? I get a beep.....

8. windows 3.0 / 3.1 & 200LX

9. MS unveils Windows CE 3.0, cuts prices

10. Win CE and Windows 3.1??????

11. MS "Powered By Windows CE" Windows 98 Upgrade Rebate???

12. AOL for Windows 3.1 or DOS?