Staying Jacked-in while out and about.

Post by john.. » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

On 1 Aug 1996 mentec said:
   >Hello All,
   >This may a bit off topic, but I figured ask "people moving around"
   >about staying connected...
   >A bit of background, I'm planning my big OE (Overseas Experience as
   >it's known in the antipodes) for next year.  I'm to going cycling
   >around western europe (maybe stop in on the US on the way back),
   >and I'd like to stay connected to the net.  As I'll be cycling, I'd
   >prefer any connections to be highly mobile,and robust , as it will
   >be going quite a wee way.  I suppose this really breaks down into
   >two questions,
   >1) What would be a good mobile internet platform? I'm leaning
   >towards an HP200LX, how much RAM would I need?

You could try an HP200LX with Compuserve and acCIS, which is a HP200LX app
designed specifically to access Compuserve mail and forums on the HPLX.  The
HPLX is light, durable, and is the only palmtop that I know of which is
really practical for Internet or the other on-line services.  Compuserve has
POPs all over the world, including in Europe, and includes the HPHAND forum
that is devoted to the HP200LX.

Post by men.. » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

This may a bit off topic, but I figured ask "people moving around" about
staying connected...

A bit of background, I'm planning my big OE (Overseas Experience as
it's known in the antipodes) for next year.  I'm to going cycling
around western europe (maybe stop in on the US on the way back),
and I'd like to stay connected to the net.  As I'll be cycling, I'd prefer any
connections to be highly mobile,and robust , as it will be going quite
a wee way.  I suppose this really breaks down into two questions,

1) What would be a good mobile internet platform? I'm leaning
towards an HP200LX, how much RAM would I need?

2) Are there any truly "International" Internet ISP's in europe that I
could connect to?  Or even, what sort of services to Cypercafe's
provide for a roving Net-Junkie?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even pointers to the appropriate
newsgroup.

Aaron Dann
Aaron Dann - Project and Design Engineer
MENTEC Ltd, New Zealand                         'Lunch' - (n) a very
This is a work account, these are my opinions.        late breakfast

Staying Jacked-in while out and about.

Post by Faetho » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

    How do you plan on connecting to the net, via phone?  I'd suggest
getting a Konexx accoustic coupler.  I've got one, along with a Zoomer
14.4 Pocket, and have had no difficulty with connections.  I've got both
a HP200LX 1MB and a Poqet Classic.  If you can find reliable access to an
ISP, you could run NetTamer on either PT.

-j

On 1996-08-01 mentec said:
   >Hello All,
   >This may a bit off topic, but I figured ask "people moving around"
   >about staying connected...
   >A bit of background, I'm planning my big OE (Overseas Experience as
   >it's known in the antipodes) for next year.  I'm to going cycling
   >around western europe (maybe stop in on the US on the way back),
   >and I'd like to stay connected to the net.  As I'll be cycling, I'd
   >prefer any connections to be highly mobile,and robust , as it will
   >be going quite a wee way.  I suppose this really breaks down into
   >two questions,
   >1) What would be a good mobile internet platform? I'm leaning
   >towards an HP200LX, how much RAM would I need?
   >2) Are there any truly "International" Internet ISP's in europe
   >that I could connect to?  Or even, what sort of services to
   >Cypercafe's provide for a roving Net-Junkie?
   >Any suggestions would be appreciated, even pointers to the
   >appropriate newsgroup.
   >Aaron Dann
   >Aaron Dann - Project and Design Engineer
   >MENTEC Ltd, New Zealand                         'Lunch' - (n) a very
   >This is a work account, these are my opinions.        late breakfast

Excellent plan ! I have cycled from Amsterdam to Athens and I recommend
cycling in Europe as your "OE"

Get the HP200LX(2meg) with an EXP1414LXM modem card with 4 or 8meg of RAM
combine this with a Compuserve Account (using ACCIS software )and you
will have a "local" call charge for dial in in most cities of Europe
Use 4x NiMh Rechargeable AA Batteries from ACE (USA) and a Solar recharger
or Lithium AA's .

prepared Offline by HP200LX + EXP1414LXM4m (& ACE Doubleflash + 40m)

PO Box 9475,Wellington,NEW ZEALAND Ph(64-4)385-1233 Fax(64-4)385-8912

`[1;35;46mNet-Tamer V 1.05.1 - Registered

Staying Jacked-in while out and about.

Post by men.. » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>    How do you plan on connecting to the net, via phone?  I'd suggest
>getting a Konexx accoustic coupler.  I've got one, along with a Zoomer
>14.4 Pocket, and have had no difficulty with connections.  I've got both
>a HP200LX 1MB and a Poqet Classic.  If you can find reliable access to an
>ISP, you could run NetTamer on either PT.

Yes, I'd prefer to connect via phone, local calls where ever possible, and
I've never heard of the Poquet classic, what is it's lineage?