Newbie Question

Post by Mo » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I am looking for a handheld for work.  I have been looking at the Palm
III and the Psion 5.  I like the idea of having a keyboard (i.e. Psion),
but have heard that the Psion will be more difficult to "sync" with my PC
at work.  Can anybody help me with comparisons between the two units?  Is
there another unit that I should be considering?

Thanks for any info,

Moe

 : Come play Realms of Despair! http://www.game.org :

Newbie Question

Post by Steven J. Eg » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

How about a Windows CE machine.  They're not difficult to sync with a PC, as
long as it's running Windows 95/98 or NT (as long as you reinstall your service
packs and all that it the right order).

Newbie Question

Post by Paul Ros » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Yeah, buy a CE machine if you want a slow, bloated, unreliable OS.  Surly you get
that with Windows on you're desktop anyway??  The companies who produce such
machines also have a tendency to make it obsolete by releasing an upgraded system a
week later.

EPOC's great when it comes to syncing.

It's not as easy as with a Pilot but then the Palm Pilot is an organizer really.

The keyboard is great too, and the machine is smaller than a Velo 500.

Paul

> How about a Windows CE machine.  They're not difficult to sync with a PC, as
> long as it's running Windows 95/98 or NT (as long as you reinstall your service
> packs and all that it the right order).

Newbie Question

Post by Bobbie » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Moe, I was considering the same two machines.  I have recently decide
on the PIII (although I may actually wait to see if they release the P
IV in the next month or two.

Both are non-WINCE machines, a decision I quickly made after observing
the ng's.

If you come down to the two P5 & PIII, then it is just a matter of
what you need to do on the machine.  I have a laptop, for work &
personal stuff, so I finally decided that having a smaller version of
a laptop wasn't necessary.

It looks like there are a lot of apps for the P5, and there are a TON
of apps for the PIII.  The PIII is smaller, making it easier to tow
around.

From what I've read either is a good choice, depending on what you are
using it for.

Quote:

>Hi, I am looking for a handheld for work.  I have been looking at the Palm
>III and the Psion 5.  I like the idea of having a keyboard (i.e. Psion),
>but have heard that the Psion will be more difficult to "sync" with my PC
>at work.  Can anybody help me with comparisons between the two units?  Is
>there another unit that I should be considering?

>Thanks for any info,

>Moe

> : Come play Realms of Despair! http://www.game.org :

Newbie Question

Post by Paul Ros » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I agree with Bob.

They  are both different machines really - so do you want an Organiser (but
they are a lot more really), or a pocket computer - the Psion.

I've owned a Pilot and I miss it in a way.  Very small and there's hell of a
lot of software!  And now there's a MIDI Player!

Paul

> Moe, I was considering the same two machines.  I have recently decide
> on the PIII (although I may actually wait to see if they release the P
> IV in the next month or two.

> Both are non-WINCE machines, a decision I quickly made after observing
> the ng's.

> If you come down to the two P5 & PIII, then it is just a matter of
> what you need to do on the machine.  I have a laptop, for work &
> personal stuff, so I finally decided that having a smaller version of
> a laptop wasn't necessary.

> It looks like there are a lot of apps for the P5, and there are a TON
> of apps for the PIII.  The PIII is smaller, making it easier to tow
> around.

> From what I've read either is a good choice, depending on what you are
> using it for.

> >Hi, I am looking for a handheld for work.  I have been looking at the Palm
> >III and the Psion 5.  I like the idea of having a keyboard (i.e. Psion),
> >but have heard that the Psion will be more difficult to "sync" with my PC
> >at work.  Can anybody help me with comparisons between the two units?  Is
> >there another unit that I should be considering?

> >Thanks for any info,

> >Moe

> > : Come play Realms of Despair! http://www.game.org :

Newbie Question

Post by Jeff » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have had no big problems syncing my S5 to the PC. Psion have been quick
to add new features which enable file conversions from common PC formats to
S5 formats.

Even WinCE formats differ from PC formats! Its a reality of
schedule-centred, RAM-based machines. Windows 95 is not designed to operate
for more than a day without an error.

The S5 REALLY kills all the competition with its object linking. It is the
only pocketable machine to offer object linking, and it is so good that you
will find yourself creating documents with sketches and tables without
having to worry about loading time and memory limitations. Psion took
Windows and improved on it. It is as sophisticated as you are likely to
need. Buy any of the others and your needs will not be satisfied.

Jeff

Newbie Question

Post by Steven J. Eg » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Slow, bloated, and unreliable?  CE 2.0 is slower than 1.0, but then again, I
have two first generation units.  I'll give you bloated.  They could have made
it as small as 1.0 if they really wanted to.  My CE machines are probably the
most reliable units I have owned.  I have not had to do anything drastic at all
to them.  I have never gotten error messages of any type, nor have my machines
ever frozen up.  I try apps all the time, and none of them misbehaved.  So once
and for all, kill the *about CE being unreliable!

Newbie Question

Post by sabre 2/3 tig » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, I am looking for a handheld for work.  I have been looking at the Palm
> III and the Psion 5.  I like the idea of having a keyboard (i.e. Psion),
> but have heard that the Psion will be more difficult to "sync" with my PC
> at work.  Can anybody help me with comparisons between the two units?  Is
> there another unit that I should be considering?

I used Psion S5 for about a year since Sept 97. I'm now using
Cassiopeia E10 (missed the E11) for the last 2 months.

Moved from S5, due to S5 hinge break, slightly too big form factor to
carry anywhere in pocket, and not too good synching between S5
Agenda/Todo with Outlook 98, up to PsiWin 2.1. No address book synching.

E10 synching very much better. Calendar/Tasks/Contacts.

I compared E10 with Palm III, before purchase. Chose E10, for the extra
resolution (double), extra RAM, and CF slot. Decided can leave with
changing AAA alkaline batteries every 10 days or so. Currently looking
for AAA NiMh batteries/charger in Malaysia; they're not that readily
available here.

Hope that helps,
regards,
.sabre

1. Newbie Question: Magellan GPS for Visor question

I have two questions:

1. I'm thinking about getting a Visor Pro and a Magellan GPS for Visor.
Will this combination work?  If not what combination (GPS and Visor) will?
2. I would really want the capability to enter in an address and have the
system provide me with turn to turn directions.  Will this be possible?

Thanks for helping.
Hank

2. Request for Help in Transferring Binary files from Mac to VAX

3. Newbie questions re: moving from Psion to Sony SJ-30

4. FS A1200 030 40mhz UK

5. newbie question

6. Info on Scanners

7. Newbie Question

8. Bind 8.2.2.p5 NT problems

9. Visor (Palm OS?) Newbie Question

10. New Visor Owner (and of course, newbie questions)

11. Newbie Question

12. Newbie Question - Contacts in Outlook.

13. a few newbie questions