Tone Dialling

Post by Alasdair Baxt » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me which palmtops have good tone dialling facilities?  I
have the Psion 3a but its loudspeaker is too loud and you cannot program
it to send out, say, a credit card number before the destination number.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Tone Dialling

Post by Jeff » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone tell me which palmtops have good tone dialling facilities?  I
> have the Psion 3a but its loudspeaker is too loud and you cannot program
> it to send out, say, a credit card number before the destination number.

> Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

The HP200LX can do tone dialing but the speaker volume is not exactly 'loud'. Good luck!

73 Jeff

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jeff Johns KF4KGQ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    |    Satellite: MIR (R0MIR-1)     | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept |
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA      |

Tone Dialling

Post by r.. » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Heard an interesting rumor about tone generators on handheld computing
devices.  Someone said that some organizers/PDA's were manufactured
without tone generators capable of DTMF because the combination was
illegal in a few countries (too close to the definition of a blue-box?).

Can anyone verify this rumor?  Truth or folklore?

#include <canonical.disclaimer>   // only my own opinions, etc.

Tone Dialling

Post by Tyler Thueso » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone tell me which palmtops have good tone dialling facilities?  I
> have the Psion 3a but its loudspeaker is too loud and you cannot program
> it to send out, say, a credit card number before the destination number.

Sure you can, just set up the fields in your Database file. Edit the
Labels, and put a little phone symbol using Psion-Shift-Help in front of
the Credit Card # field. When you hit Psion-Help to dial, both the phone
and the credit card numbers will pop up. Use the cursor keys to select
which line to dial.

As I recall there are a couple of shareware speed diallers also, you may
want to check http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/psion/icdoc/

It's also an easy way to check your bank balace on automated systems by
adding "Checking Acct. #" and "Savings Acct. #" fields, each also with
little phone symbols in front of them. You can have up to 6 diallable
fields per record.

As for the loudspeaker being too loud, I just hold my Psion a few inches
away from the phone mouthpiece, or at an angle.

Cheers,

Tyler

Tone Dialling

Post by len lut » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

dont know if its true or not BUT, tones used for long distance switching (as
in blue-box)
are NOT dtmf

> Heard an interesting rumor about tone generators on handheld computing
> devices.  Someone said that some organizers/PDA's were manufactured
> without tone generators capable of DTMF because the combination was
> illegal in a few countries (too close to the definition of a blue-box?).

> Can anyone verify this rumor?  Truth or folklore?

> Thanks,

> --

> #include <canonical.disclaimer>         // only my own opinions, etc.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Most of what I have learned was taught to me by others.

1. Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

     I am using LX-DIAL on the HP 200LX and the program seems to work fine
in getting the speaker to produce tone dialing.  The question is .... do I
just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?
That doesn't seem to work, what is the technique here?  Thanks for any
help (expecting an excrutiatingly embarassingly simple answer).

2. Pocket Quicken 2.0 for preview now available

3. REQ: a NG for incredible random compression techniques

4. Tone dialling from psion 3

5. Imperial Font Wanted

6. PSION 3a: Sending Hayes-AT instead tone-dial from Data-app?

7. **** ORACLE DBA/CENTRAL NJ/PERMANENT/75K ****

8. Tone dialing from a HP200LX from Phone?

9. Tone dialling from psion 3

10. Tone dialing phone book

11. Tone dialling facility

12. Can the Pilot generate dial tones?