Acoustic Couplers

Post by Eric Linds » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone make an acoustic coupler style modem
for connecting a serial port equiped PDA to a
public phone, where you don't have any access to
the actual phone line wires?

I want it for when I am travelling and I'm out of
range of the cellular phone network.  I have
noticed that almost every small town has a
working public phone somewhere obvious.

--
Eric Lindsay  http://members.xoom.com/eric_lindsay/airlie
Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

Acoustic Couplers

Post by Joseph Steel » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

A company called Konexx makes that.  I have had great luck with their other
products, so this one is probably good too.  Here's a link to it at BUY.COM:
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10073668&loc=101

Joe

Quote:> Does anyone make an acoustic coupler style modem
> for connecting a serial port equiped PDA to a
> public phone, where you don't have any access to
> the actual phone line wires?

> I want it for when I am travelling and I'm out of
> range of the cellular phone network.  I have
> noticed that almost every small town has a
> working public phone somewhere obvious.

> --
> Eric Lindsay  http://members.xoom.com/eric_lindsay/airlie
> Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/6778

Acoustic Couplers

Post by m » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

www.pocketmail.com

Their backflip product is an acoustic modem and email service.

Quote:> Does anyone make an acoustic coupler style modem
> for connecting a serial port equiped PDA to a
> public phone, where you don't have any access to
> the actual phone line wires?

> I want it for when I am travelling and I'm out of
> range of the cellular phone network.  I have
> noticed that almost every small town has a
> working public phone somewhere obvious.

> --
> Eric Lindsay  http://members.xoom.com/eric_lindsay/airlie
> Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/6778

Acoustic Couplers

Post by Joseph Steel » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I looked at that product, but it is limited in the devices it supports (Palm
and Sharp only?) and it only provides email, not a general purpose TCP/IP
connection.  Unless there is a hack out there I am not aware of...

Neat product if it fits your needs though.

Joe

Post by Eric Linds » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>www.pocketmail.com
>Their backflip product is an acoustic modem and email service.

Alas, in Australia at least they only seem to have
two products.  One is the PocketMail device (and
its email service).  The other seems to be what you
call the BackFlip device, which I gather is intended for
some model of the Palm PDA, and this also seems to
come only with their own email service..

I want an acoustic coupler that I can connect to ANY
modem equipped device, and be able to access a
range of POP3 mailboxes.

But thank you for your suggestion, and I will check
out their web site when next online, to see if the
product range has changed from what I recall.