?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Post by Tim » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to a
windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
Here's my situation.
I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data and
then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I would
like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and it
appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like the
idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
options.
Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks Tim

 
 
 

?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Post by Kenneth Lah » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Here's a suggestion:

Create a web app on your NT server which doesn't use Java (since the CE IE
doesn't support it).   Using the IDC components of the IIS, and the Oracle
ODBC drivers, you should be able to create a simple, form-based web app
which could be accessed from ANY PC with a browser.

'course I don't know the specifics of your app, so it's just a suggestion.


>Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to a
>windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
>Here's my situation.
>I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data and
>then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I would
>like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
>palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and it
>appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like
the
>idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
>options.
>Any ideas would be most appreciated.

>Thanks Tim


 
 
 

?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Post by Dennis Leppi » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00


You could always use the PCanywhere for Windows CE.  It is a little clumsy
but it would certainly work as long as you had the parent (host)application
(which comes with the CE version)running on the NT machine and it had a
modem.


>Here's a suggestion:

>Create a web app on your NT server which doesn't use Java (since the CE IE
>doesn't support it).   Using the IDC components of the IIS, and the Oracle
>ODBC drivers, you should be able to create a simple, form-based web app
>which could be accessed from ANY PC with a browser.

>'course I don't know the specifics of your app, so it's just a suggestion.


>>Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to
a
>>windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
>>Here's my situation.
>>I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data and
>>then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I
would
>>like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
>>palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and
it
>>appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like
>the
>>idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
>>options.
>>Any ideas would be most appreciated.

>>Thanks Tim

 
 
 

?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Post by Mike Bret » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00


You might care to look at Visual CE from Syware (www.syware.com).  I think
 that may do want you want and is very easy.  Regards  - Mike -


>You could always use the PCanywhere for Windows CE.  It is a little clumsy
>but it would certainly work as long as you had the parent (host)application
>(which comes with the CE version)running on the NT machine and it had a
>modem.

>>Here's a suggestion:

>>Create a web app on your NT server which doesn't use Java (since the CE IE
>>doesn't support it).   Using the IDC components of the IIS, and the Oracle
>>ODBC drivers, you should be able to create a simple, form-based web app
>>which could be accessed from ANY PC with a browser.

>>'course I don't know the specifics of your app, so it's just a suggestion.


>>>Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to
>a
>>>windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
>>>Here's my situation.
>>>I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data and
>>>then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I
>would
>>>like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
>>>palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and
>it
>>>appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like
>>the
>>>idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
>>>options.
>>>Any ideas would be most appreciated.

>>>Thanks Tim

 
 
 

?? Dial up through windows nt with windows ce palmtop??

Post by danh » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00


You can even connect through the internet.

danh


>You could always use the PCanywhere for Windows CE.  It is a little clumsy
>but it would certainly work as long as you had the parent (host)application
>(which comes with the CE version)running on the NT machine and it had a
>modem.

>>Here's a suggestion:

>>Create a web app on your NT server which doesn't use Java (since the CE IE
>>doesn't support it).   Using the IDC components of the IIS, and the Oracle
>>ODBC drivers, you should be able to create a simple, form-based web app
>>which could be accessed from ANY PC with a browser.

>>'course I don't know the specifics of your app, so it's just a suggestion.


>>>Does anyone know if it's possible to dial up from a windows CE palmtop to
>a
>>>windows NT server to interact with an oracle database?
>>>Here's my situation.
>>>I'll be on the road doing inspections. My objective is to collect data
and
>>>then enter it on site. Currently I'm using a laptop and cell modem. I
>would
>>>like to have the option of using a smaller and lighter computer. The
>>>palmtops look ideal as no one here uses more than one finger to type and
>it
>>>appears more cost effective. This may not be the ultimate answer (I like
>>the
>>>idea of CD ROM for catalogue info) but it would be nice to have other
>>>options.
>>>Any ideas would be most appreciated.

>>>Thanks Tim

 
 
 

1. HELP! Windows NT and Windows CE Setup

I have been trying to install Windows CE for my Casio E-10 on Windows NT 4.0
on a Dell Laptop. I have a modem card set to COM2 and a network card
installed. I have a serial port set to COM1 on the back of the laptop which
I plugged the Casio dock into.

1. Setup tells me that I have to uninstall RAS, then the CE setup will
re-install.  OK I did that.
2. Setup tells me that I will have to reinstall service pack 3. OK I did
that.

Windows CE keeps telling me at the end of the setup that it can not
communicate with the device.  It keeps trying to run the communications on
the modem card. The drop down box in the CE communication's setup windows
does not even list COM 1. Only the modem.

Anyone had experience with this, and what might the solution be.

Thanks in advance....

LS.

2. F-Secure Anti-Virus 5.40 or AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System - Trial Version?

3. Handspring Visor with Windows 95 & Windows NT

4. PROBLEMS WITH SU.EXE

5. Windows CE Apps Wishlist / Windows CE Webring

6. ANN: Palm Pilot SW Development Tool available on the internet

7. Windows CE or Pilot My decision after playing with the Windows CE system

8. WTB carts/disks 8-bit

9. Windows CE Manual Dialing

10. Windows CE 2.1 - New partnership on NT workstation

11. ANN: freeware game - PURITY tests for Windows CE and Win98/NT

12. Windows CE Services 2.1 on NT 4.0

13. SILICON VALLEY: Windows CE/NT/95 Programmers VC++ MFC