Experiences with GSM 'modems' (PCMCIA)

Post by Geir Ols » Thu, 28 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

has anyone used GSM modem (PCMCIA cards which function as a 'direct'
digital 'modem' to a GSM telephone, not like normal analog modems)
card in some palmtop (like the HP200LX ?)
I guess they'll just suck less power then analog standard modems !?
I've seen them from Siemens GSM Mobil for just about $310 for a
9600 baud type.

--
Geir Olsen                                    LG Nor OIB, Siemens AG., Norway

Post by Ian Bee » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> has anyone used GSM modem (PCMCIA cards which function as a 'direct'
> digital 'modem' to a GSM telephone, not like normal analog modems)
> card in some palmtop (like the HP200LX ?)
> I guess they'll just suck less power then analog standard modems !?
> I've seen them from Siemens GSM Mobil for just about $310 for a
> 9600 baud type.

As soon as I get a connection kit for my 200LX I'll be loading some
software to test a GSM datacard which _should_ work with this machine.  JD
Consulting (+44 181 668 8214 or FAX +44 181 668 8213) has a catalogue
including a photo of the pair together with a phone so I guess it _does_
work.  The experience with Laptops so far is that it all works well
_except_ for AppletalkRemoteAccess (ARA) which hangs after connection.
Fax and regular data work well depending upon the quality of the cellular
network you are using.

Cheers

Ian

--
Ian Beeby
BNR Europe Limited

Experiences with GSM 'modems' (PCMCIA)

Post by John Lea » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hello,
:
: has anyone used GSM modem (PCMCIA cards which function as a 'direct'
: digital 'modem' to a GSM telephone, not like normal analog modems)
: card in some palmtop (like the HP200LX ?)
: I guess they'll just suck less power then analog standard modems !?
: I've seen them from Siemens GSM Mobil for just about $310 for a
: 9600 baud type.

I've used the Nokia Datacard with a 200LX, and it worked perfectly,
but I only tried it with the 200LX plugged into an adaptor - I guess
I was influenced by stories of modem cards draining the batteries
in no time flat...

 - John Leask,
   (Not speaking for HP)

Post by Peter van der Land » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I've used the Nokia Datacard with a 200LX, and it worked perfectly,
>but I only tried it with the 200LX plugged into an adaptor - I guess
>I was influenced by stories of modem cards draining the batteries
>in no time flat...

I was in a store a few months ago where they were demonstrating a
Psion card with a Nokia phone (if memory serves me) on a notebook. Of
course I pulled out my 100LX and asked them to try that. It started
complaining about the battery being low the instant I inserted the
card.

I'd be really interested in hearing succes stories though, especially
with battery use. I'm in the market for a new GSM phone and I'd love
to check my e-mail from the beach...

Regards,

Peter van der Landen

 Centre for Computers and Law, L4-42, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Holland
     Tel 31-10-4082187 (home 2331650) Fax 31-10-4082920 (home 2331215)

Post by Hans Li » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>I've used the Nokia Datacard with a 200LX, and it worked perfectly,
>>but I only tried it with the 200LX plugged into an adaptor - I guess
>>I was influenced by stories of modem cards draining the batteries
>>in no time flat...
>I was in a store a few months ago where they were demonstrating a
>Psion card with a Nokia phone (if memory serves me) on a notebook. Of
>course I pulled out my 100LX and asked them to try that. It started
>complaining about the battery being low the instant I inserted the
>card.

I've been using my 200LX with a Nokia PC Card for a few weeks now.
I use it for mail (using the built-in CC:Mail), for Compuserve
(using TAPCIS in DOS; although I've just ordered acCIS) and for terminal
access to Unix machines.

I've never expected the batteries to last for more than a day under
frequent use in this manner, but normally the do last for two days of
normal use. Obviously, I avoid using it with the card inserted if I don't
have to (the card seems to draw power when it is in the slot regardless
of whether it's being used or not) but at times I have been forced
to 15-25 minute terminal sessions and have been able to continue using
the machine in the normal manner for the rest of the day.

It does drain the batteries, of course, but not unacceptably.
I'm using NiMH:s at the moment, using an external (slow) charger.
I have two pairs of batteries and charge the one I'm not using during
the day. I always carry a pair of Lithium AA:s with me for backup.

Experiences with GSM 'modems' (PCMCIA)

Post by Ruddy Limantor » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Nope,.....

but I wanna buy a Modem for my Ericsson GH337.
Have you ever seen the modem for that ???

Thanks

Post by Mats Petterss » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> |> Nope,.....
> |>
> |> but I wanna buy a Modem for my Ericsson GH337.
> |> Have you ever seen the modem for that ???

> There is one available, it is called a DC12. I don't have any details
> yet, I only saw an ad for it this morning.

One big problem with the GH337 is that the speed is
limited to 2400 bps. That made me change over to Nokia
after having had a couple of Ericsson phones.

Roumors have it that there is a new phone in the pipeline
that won't have the hardware limitations of the GH337.

/mats

--
Mats Pettersson             !     tel (+46)  08-667 30 01
RPMG Svenska AB             !     fax (+46)  08-667 30 02

Experiences with GSM 'modems' (PCMCIA)

Post by Agustin Nu~ » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Hello,
:
: has anyone used GSM modem (PCMCIA cards which function as a 'direct'
: digital 'modem' to a GSM telephone, not like normal analog modems)
: card in some palmtop (like the HP200LX ?)
: I guess they'll just suck less power then analog standard modems !?
: I've seen them from Siemens GSM Mobil for just about $310 for a
: 9600 baud type.

I've been using a Nokia PCMCIA for my 2110 GSM since July without problems.
Now I'm using NiMH batteries that I recharge every night and I manage to
use my HP200LX during the whole day with sporadic connection (1 hour average)
to my unix internet gateway. The only incovenience is to carry the conection
cable (too rigid) and that in order to fit both, 200LX and GSM phone in
my pocket I should disconect them. This prevent to receive short messages
(streams of 160 chars length) as a mail directly to the 200LX, but there is
no wake-up mechanism to trigger the ON in the 200LX anyway. I have heard
in the Telecomm Geneve that next generation of HP will allow to attach
the GSM phone directly behind the screen so it will be possible to carry
them together and connected.

I'm very happy with the current tandem GSM-PCMCIA-200LX and get attonish
my colleges when I access this News or with a alfanumerica WWW browser
to the internet from a taci-cab, from one meeting to the next.

Regards,
Agustin Nunez

Experiences with GSM 'modems' (PCMCIA)

Post by Jon Hin » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I use the 200 with a Nokia modem.

It seems to drain the batteries after about 30 mins useage. In other
words
If the company is paying then it's ok! ASI only use it for the odd fax
this is satisfactory.

I will get some lithium batterys in the USA and reoport back.

Jon Hind

1. PCMCIA: Motorola PCMCIA 'NewsCard' Modem 10/21/92

This is an excerpt of an article posted to NEWSBYTES on the NewsCard
modem.  No real news compared to what we had from the earlier news article,
just the squib about calling the palmtop market "vapor"...

[ Article crossposted from clari.nb.telecom ]

[ Posted on 21 Oct 92 19:51:52 GMT ]

    The Motorola NewsCard is the first wireless receive modem in a
    PCMCIA card format....  Motorola is aiming its NewsCard at the
    vapor market of "personal digital assistants" or "personal
    communicators" like the Apple Newton and AT&T-Eo Hobbit.

The article continues, saying that NewsCard is based on Motorola's
EMBARC system, which is the basis of SkyTel's SkyStream messaging net.
Skytel is supposed to show it at Comdex.

--Ed

2. Error msg... [No address given] after running Database Region Wizard.HELP!

3. Ericsson[GSM + DI27(IrDA modem)] <--> HP 600's palmtop (Win CE 2)

4. Require Receipt as Default

5. Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantum' at CeBIT ! :

6. Installation question

7. More info about Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantun'

8. Use your networked computers for large scale simulations

9. About 'e' and 'n' of Graffiti

10. Heeeere comes the 'PalmV' (AKA 'Razor') !

11. WTB: all palmtops/ hpc's/ pp's/ libretto's/ pda's/ etc

12. PCMCIA and the HP's and PSION's