M505 SD/MMC card very slow after more then 10mb stored

Post by Reto Zimmerman » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:58:03

> I have get a M505 specially for the expanion option so i can load more data
> then the 8mb. I use the SD/MMC card for database and picture storage. Untill
> about 4mb the SD/MMC card was working ok (a little slower then the normal
> memory) But after install MGI and about 60 little pictures, changing to the
> SD/MMC card takes about 2 minute waiting before i can see information on the
> SD/MMC card. Starting MGI and selecting a catagorie takes also up to 3
> minute. Together i have to wait almost 5 minute before i can see something.
> I have send a message to palm support about this and they answer that this
> is true and that they can change this! If i know this before i won;t have
> buy a Palm.

Some applications are really slow reading the card, in particular
scanning for files.  And MGI PhotoSuite is definitely one of them, which
is why I am not using it.  SplashPhoto is already much better.

There are also big differences among actual file handling applications.
While McFile is very fast in listing directories on the card, Filez is
already considerably slower, and BackupBuddyVFS is awfully slow.
Obviously, many programmers are doing something wrong in accessing the
card efficiently.

So before you dump your m505, give other applications a try and check
out other usage possibilities of the card, like PowerRun.

Reto

1. Dataviz Mail - storing attachments on SD/MMC card

Here is one - I have Dataviz Mail 1.0.65 on my machine and would love to get
the attachments to sync to the memory card rather than ending up in RAM on
the palm. It just clogs it up !

I noticed that this does not recognise the card (when selecting the category
where attachments areassigned)  and you need to move them manually on the
Palm to the card. Anyone come up with a way for Dataviz Mail to stire
attachments onto a memory card when hotsyncing ?

2. Script Fonts

3. MMC vs. SD cards

4. Embedded O/S with IPX -> NCP support ?

5. Advice on SD/MMC card Tungsten

6. Retrieving device Serial #

7. Recommended sources for SD/MMC cards for m500?

8. Amiga World (first 8 issues)

9. ANN: SDViewer, freeware for MMC/SD card

10. SD Card 128MB Access Time is really slow

11. Palm M505 + 128Mb SD card

12. m505 & BT SD Card

13. How to run programs from your SD card (m500, m505)