Starting point to select right PDA device

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by Dmitri Shleifma » Mon, 28 May 2001 01:22:34

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an organizer.  But found myself lost in this
big world of Palm based units.

Would it be possible for you to give me a short advice where to start search.

About myself
------------
I am looking for the unit that will provide:
- ToDo, Sched, PhoneBook functions
- Freehand Memo
- Sound Memo
- Long Life battery (at least 3 month)
- character recognition will adopt to my way of hand-writing
- backup on a desktop PC

Not required:
- color display

Nice to have
- wireless dialing (by placing PDA close to the phone set and selecting designated
person from a PhoneBook it will dial the number)
- ability to create links between ToDo, Sched, Memo and PhoneBook entries
- backup software compatible with Linux

Thank you for consideration,
Dmitri

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by C. Ro » Mon, 28 May 2001 01:40:10

HandEra 330 www.handera.com does everything you're looking for.

If you want to compare devices, try www.ZDnet.com

Quote:> Hi,

> I am looking to purchase an organizer.  But found myself lost in this
> big world of Palm based units.

> Would it be possible for you to give me a short advice where to start
search.

> About myself
> ------------
> I am looking for the unit that will provide:
> - ToDo, Sched, PhoneBook functions
> - Freehand Memo
> - Sound Memo
> - Long Life battery (at least 3 month)
> - character recognition will adopt to my way of hand-writing
> - backup on a desktop PC

> Not required:
> - color display

> Nice to have
> - wireless dialing (by placing PDA close to the phone set and selecting
designated
> person from a PhoneBook it will dial the number)
> - ability to create links between ToDo, Sched, Memo and PhoneBook entries
> - backup software compatible with Linux

> Thank you for consideration,
> Dmitri

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by eMeL » Mon, 28 May 2001 13:11:56

Quote:> HandEra 330 www.handera.com does everything you're looking for.

Really?  Including his "at least 3 month" battery life requirement?

Michael

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by C. Ro » Mon, 28 May 2001 14:51:45

Probably, depending on use. Palm devices have long claimed 1-2 months of
battery use. The HandEra has four AAA batteries, but does not have a color
screen. It really doesn't have very many other features that would be create
large drains on the batteries.

Of course one could buy a 1 Gb IBM MicroDrive and create endless voice
recordings. That would significantly reduce the battery life. If he's an
average user, he may get 3 months. It's as good a guess as any.

> > HandEra 330 www.handera.com does everything you're looking for.

> Really?  Including his "at least 3 month" battery life requirement?

> Michael

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by Gordon Walke » Tue, 29 May 2001 22:34:08

On Sat, 26 May 2001 12:22:34 -0400, Dmitri Shleifman

>I am looking for the unit that will provide:
>- ToDo, Sched, PhoneBook functions

Can be done with the standard PalmOS tools. There are third party
extensions to do it better such as DateBk4 and Action Names.

Quote:>- Freehand Memo

Can be done with freeware third party software or on the Notepad
application provided with newer Palms.

Quote:>- Sound Memo

The only Palm based device that does this (AFAIK) is the new HandEra
which has a digital recording facility. The Psion V I think does this
outside the Palm world also some of the Windows devices.

Quote:>- Long Life battery (at least 3 month)

With the mono devices you might get this. In my experience good
Duracell batteries gave 30-35 hours of uptime. If you used the device
for half an hour or so per day you'd get your three months. The colour
devices seem to provide about 16 hours of uptime but they all contain
LiIon rechargeable batteries so generally that's not a problem.

The new HandEra device uses four AAA's instead of two, I'd imagine
that you get a commensurate increase in time between battery changes.

Quote:>- character recognition will adopt to my way of hand-writing

Not as standard in the PalmOS. There are third party packages which
provide alternate recognition systems such as Jot but I haven't used
them myself

Quote:>- backup on a desktop PC

Standard HotSync should take care of this.

Quote:>Not required:
>- color display

This is available (IIIc, m505, Prism) but as I said above, it has an
impact on the battery life.

Quote:>Nice to have
>- wireless dialing (by placing PDA close to the phone set and selecting designated
>person from a PhoneBook it will dial the number)

There are third party shareware packages which will do this.

Quote:>- ability to create links between ToDo, Sched, Memo and PhoneBook entries

The third party replacements for the standard tools that I mentioned
above (DateBk4, ActionNames etc) will do this. The standard software
does not

Quote:>- backup software compatible with Linux

There is a GPL based suite of software for working with Linux. I don't
know many details myself.

To look up any of the software I mentioned or to see some good faqs
check out www.palmgear.com
--
Gordon

Post by David Nes » Wed, 30 May 2001 00:04:35

> Hi,

> I am looking to purchase an organizer.  But found myself lost in this
> big world of Palm based units.

> Would it be possible for you to give me a short advice where to start search.

> About myself
> ------------
> I am looking for the unit that will provide:
> - ToDo, Sched, PhoneBook functions
> - Freehand Memo
> - Sound Memo
> - Long Life battery (at least 3 month)
> - character recognition will adopt to my way of hand-writing
> - backup on a desktop PC

> Not required:
> - color display

> Nice to have
> - wireless dialing (by placing PDA close to the phone set and selecting designated
> person from a PhoneBook it will dial the number)
> - ability to create links between ToDo, Sched, Memo and PhoneBook entries
> - backup software compatible with Linux

Don't look for a job designing PDAs. At the moment activities like `Sound Memo' and `Dialing phone'
require substantial energy, and any hope of 3 months worth of battery for such activities is only
likely possible if (1) you are willing to carry a small neuclear power device; or (2) are willing to
carry an add-on about the size of an automobile battery.

Alternatively, you might design the first PDA with a back-pack for its power supply.

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by C. Ro » Wed, 30 May 2001 20:39:41

By the way, the HandEra is the only Palm device that I know of that has a
speaker capable of producing DTMF tones. There are freeware apps that allow
you to dial phone numbers using any phone.

Post by John Ho » Wed, 30 May 2001 23:42:51

>> HandEra 330 www.handera.com does everything you're looking for.
>Really?  Including his "at least 3 month" battery life requirement?

        Possibly, that is when they release the lithion rechargable
batteries for it.  The Handera 330 is the only handheld that really does
give you choice in terms of power use.  You can use four AAA's or a
lithion battery pack.  The only problem is that they don't have those
packs available yet so there is no way to know exactly how much better
they are in comparision with say four AAA NiMH's.  Better?  Yeah,
probably, but I think most people want to know exactly how much better
they'll be.

Starting point to select right PDA device

Post by T-Ca » Tue, 29 May 2001 11:33:49

Get the Pocket PCs.

Expensive for the start but you will realise they have cheaper add-ons and
thats crucial esp for memory churning user like me

Took 3 months to realise and 1 day to be shattered

Quote:> Hi,

> I am looking to purchase an organizer.  But found myself lost in this
> big world of Palm based units.

> Would it be possible for you to give me a short advice where to start
search.

> About myself
> ------------
> I am looking for the unit that will provide:
> - ToDo, Sched, PhoneBook functions
> - Freehand Memo
> - Sound Memo
> - Long Life battery (at least 3 month)
> - character recognition will adopt to my way of hand-writing
> - backup on a desktop PC

> Not required:
> - color display

> Nice to have
> - wireless dialing (by placing PDA close to the phone set and selecting
designated
> person from a PhoneBook it will dial the number)
> - ability to create links between ToDo, Sched, Memo and PhoneBook entries
> - backup software compatible with Linux

> Thank you for consideration,
> Dmitri

1. Help w/ selecting handheld device

Help.  I do not have a "handheld device" except my cell phone.  I
would like to get a handheld which does the following (in order of
priority):
 - Check e-mail;
 - View MS-Word and Excel Attachments;
 - Keep a calendar;
 - Keep a contacts list;
 - Lightly surf the web (directions, addresses, etc.).

What I don't want/need:
 - I don't care if it operates as a phone;
 - I'd prefer not to surf the web if I'll be surfing at 4kb per hour;
 - I don't want it to be able to take pictures;
 - I don't want to have to dial up a service provider just to get on
the web or check e-mail;
 - I don't want to have to regularly delete e-mail b/c my "account" is
full;

I don't get the whole "writing stick" thing, so I'd like it to have a
built in keypad.

Also, I live in Fresno, California and travel the central valley
regularly.  There are at least 20 areas which will not support cell
service for AT&T in between Fresno and Sacramento (despite what they
advertise).  My most used phrase during the workday is "F---ing AT&T."
 If I get a device and need service, would I do better w/ Sprint,
Nextel or T-Mobile?

 - Mike

2. tar or gzip Multi-Part File Output?

3. need help with selecting a handheld device - thanks!

4. Can Matlab Make You Miserable???

5. best pointing device for palmtops

6. PSERVER takes ages to unload

7. What PDA Would You Buy Right Now?

8. Which PDA is right for me?

9. What PDA is right?

10. Need advice on right PDA

11. Need help with picking the right pda

12. choosing the right PDA - help please