Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by Steven E. Fri » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

     I am using LX-DIAL on the HP 200LX and the program seems to work fine
in getting the speaker to produce tone dialing.  The question is .... do I
just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?
That doesn't seem to work, what is the technique here?  Thanks for any
help (expecting an excrutiatingly embarassingly simple answer).

Post by Leon L » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

|      I am using LX-DIAL on the HP 200LX and the program seems to work fine
| in getting the speaker to produce tone dialing.  The question is .... do I
| just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?
| That doesn't seem to work, what is the technique here?  Thanks for any
| help (expecting an excrutiatingly embarassingly simple answer).

I just hold my HP up to the mic on my hand set while it plays the tones.
Seems very reliable.  I used it on my Sanyo cordless phone.

      _/    _/     _/_/_/  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    _/    _/ of _/  _/_/             Networking Services
   _/    _/    _/    _/      Computing and Communications Services
   _/_/_/      _/_/_/      +-+-+-+-+-+-824-4120 Ext. 6565+-+-+-+-+-+

Post by K. M. A » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:      I am using LX-DIAL on the HP 200LX and the program seems to work fine
: in getting the speaker to produce tone dialing.  The question is .... do I
: just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?

I have another question related to this.
Does LX-DIAL work on HP95LX?  I tried it and it seems to hang.

If it cannot work for my poor 95LX, please let me know?

Post by Michael Mall » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: :      I am using LX-DIAL on the HP 200LX and the program seems to work fine
: : in getting the speaker to produce tone dialing.  The question is .... do I
: : just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?

: I have another question related to this.
: Does LX-DIAL work on HP95LX?  I tried it and it seems to hang.

: If it cannot work for my poor 95LX, please let me know?

Where can I find LX-DIAL?
--
Michael J. Malloy                          Amateur Radio N9WJV
Medical College of Wisconsin               Compuserve 70334,3563

Post by Mark Mayh » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I can't get it to work on my 100lx either.  I've tried with simple
> (old standard style with mechanical bell) desk phone, modern electronic
> desk phones, cheap (conair) slimline phone, nice GE memory desk phone,
> Uniden 900mhz cordless phone.  Nice beeps, but the phone doesn't dial.

> I've tried holding it not quite touching the phone, pressed against the
> phone, various places on the top and bottom of the palmtop, with and
> without my pcmcia card, etc.  No go.

I have exactly the same experience on my 200LX.  It looks like a nice,
well-thought-out program and makes tones that sound like they should work,
but I can't get it to work.  The best I can get is a "This is not a working
number" recording; sometimes not even that.  And sometimes I get a "You must
dial a 1 or 0 before this number" recording on one try, then on the next try
with the same number I get "You do not need to dial a 1 or 0 before this
number."  Go figure.

Mark Mayhle

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by Craig M. Armstro » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I wasn't successful with this program either. It seemed that some tones may not
have been long enough. I have to dial a 9 to get an outside line, and I never
heard the dial tone stop until after the nine was dialled. If I dialled the
nine myself then sometimes it would work.

Craig

Post by Sylvan Butl » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>| just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?
>| That doesn't seem to work, what is the technique here?  Thanks for any
>I just hold my HP up to the mic on my hand set while it plays the tones.
>Seems very reliable.  I used it on my Sanyo cordless phone.

I can't get it to work on my 100lx either.  I've tried with simple
(old standard style with mechanical bell) desk phone, modern electronic
desk phones, cheap (conair) slimline phone, nice GE memory desk phone,
Uniden 900mhz cordless phone.  Nice beeps, but the phone doesn't dial.

I've tried holding it not quite touching the phone, pressed against the
phone, various places on the top and bottom of the palmtop, with and
without my pcmcia card, etc.  No go.

Is there any settings that need to be done?  Particular battery type
(ni-cad, lithium, alkaline)?

sdb
--

 "Don't Tread On Me!"

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by Wolfhard Poern » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have another question related to this.
>Does LX-DIAL work on HP95LX?  I tried it and it seems to hang.
>If it cannot work for my poor 95LX, please let me know?

lx-dial doesn't work with the 95lx, but you will find "dialtone.zip"
on eddie for your palmtop.

gruss wolfhard

*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

| Grimnitz Str. 6F            |            Phone:         +49.30.361 48 91 Q |
| D-13595 Berlin Spandau      |            Phone Actis:   +49.30.88 444 138  |
| Germany                     |            FAX Actis:     +49.30.88 444 100  |
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by Jeffrey Vei » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I got LX-DIAL working for a number late last night, but when I tried to dial
the number again this morning (same phone). it didn't work.  Excellent work
on the program though...I'm gonna keep trying to get it to work.

Jeff

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by Henry Charles Gehringe » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi...

Could you please tell me where I can download this LX-DIAL programme?

Thanks,
Akarin

Post by Leon L » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

| >| just pick up the phone receiver and play the 200LX into the phone to dial?
| >| That doesn't seem to work, what is the technique here?  Thanks for any

| >I just hold my HP up to the mic on my hand set while it plays the tones.
| >Seems very reliable.  I used it on my Sanyo cordless phone.

| I can't get it to work on my 100lx either.  I've tried with simple
| (old standard style with mechanical bell) desk phone, modern electronic
| desk phones, cheap (conair) slimline phone, nice GE memory desk phone,
| Uniden 900mhz cordless phone.  Nice beeps, but the phone doesn't dial.

| I've tried holding it not quite touching the phone, pressed against the
| phone, various places on the top and bottom of the palmtop, with and
| without my pcmcia card, etc.  No go.

| Is there any settings that need to be done?  Particular battery type
| (ni-cad, lithium, alkaline)?

Here is my configuration:

        -Hp200lx 2mb, double speed upgraded
        -20mb Sundisk
        -Radio Shack 850mAH ni-cads

Some phone lines may not be capable of using touch tone.  Are you capable
of using the tones from your telephone to make calls or do you have to set
your phone to rotary dial?  If you have to use the rotary dial then the
tones from the HP likely will not work.

      _/    _/     _/_/_/  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    _/    _/ of _/  _/_/             Networking Services
   _/    _/    _/    _/      Computing and Communications Services
   _/_/_/      _/_/_/      +-+-+-+-+-+-824-4120 Ext. 6565+-+-+-+-+-+

Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

Post by 100653.3.. » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quoting mmjjmm from a message in comp.sys.palmtops

 mm>: I have another question related to this.
 mm>: Does LX-DIAL work on HP95LX?  I tried it and it seems to hang.
 mm>: If it cannot work for my poor 95LX, please let me know?
 mm>Where can I find LX-DIAL?
 mm>--
 mm>Michael J. Malloy                          Amateur Radio N9WJV
 mm>Medical College of Wisconsin               Compuserve 70334,3563

 mm>mcw.edu

Its available on CompuServe in the HPHand forum.  I'm afraid I can't
remember off the top of my head which library it is in so you'll just have
to have a quick look around in the libs.  I know it was up-loaded sometime
around Christmas so you should be able to find it pretty readily.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Wallace-Jones via HP200LX and Nettamer

`[1;34;40mNet-Tamer V 1.00.0 - Registered

Post by The one wha » Sun, 03 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>| I can't get it to work on my 100lx either.  I've tried with simple
>| (old standard style with mechanical bell) desk phone, modern electronic
>| desk phones, cheap (conair) slimline phone, nice GE memory desk phone,
>| Uniden 900mhz cordless phone.  Nice beeps, but the phone doesn't dial.
>Some phone lines may not be capable of using touch tone.  Are you capable
>of using the tones from your telephone to make calls or do you have to set

I've tried a similar list of phones with the same lack of results.
All the phones I tried are tone-dial and in fact can be dialed by a
pocket tone dialer I tried.

TheOne

1. Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

I've had success using LX-DIAL, but only on one particular phone,
and only when the phone is used on speaker phone. It works best
whenwhen the back side of the LX, in the center vertically and about
2" from the right side horizontally, is about the microphone of
the speaker phone.  Although the tones that LX-DIAL uses appear
to be perfect, sadly my LX just isn't loud emough for LX-DIAL to
work one the other phones that I've tried.
  Looks like there is the potential here for more aftermarket LX mods-
cutting holes in the back of LX-s?   :-)
  Brian Hassard

2. Looking for idc based web store applications

3. Tone dialling from psion 3

4. Samsung 12 speed drive

5. Tone Dialling

6. Opening a SCSI tape drive

7. PSION 3a: Sending Hayes-AT instead tone-dial from Data-app?

8. Corrupted Datafile

9. Can the Pilot generate dial tones?

10. Tone dialing from a HP200LX from Phone?

11. Tone dialling from psion 3

12. Tone dialing phone book

13. Tone dialling facility