How to get US Win95 on Libretto 20?

Post by Chris + Nancy Rominsk » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a Toshiba Libretto 20, which came preloaded with Japanese Windows
95.
I'd much prefer to use the computer with US Windows 95.
There have been several posts of people who had Libretto's with English
Windows, so I'm hoping somebody had good advice for me how to get my
machine converted to the US operating system.

I have Windows 95 on CD, and have an external (PCMCIA) CD-ROM player for
the Libretto, but I don't have a floppy drive for it.

All help greatly appreciated!

Chris

How to get US Win95 on Libretto 20?

Post by ymdi.. » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

we have a 30 that we went throught this on. The best we could come up
with so far was to set up networking and copy win 95 on to the 30 then
run a install of the english win95, this worked well, altough we still
do not have the toshiba utilities running.

Let me know what you figure out!

Quote:

> I have a Toshiba Libretto 20, which came preloaded with Japanese Windows
> 95.
> I'd much prefer to use the computer with US Windows 95.
> There have been several posts of people who had Libretto's with English
> Windows, so I'm hoping somebody had good advice for me how to get my
> machine converted to the US operating system.

> I have Windows 95 on CD, and have an external (PCMCIA) CD-ROM player for
> the Libretto, but I don't have a floppy drive for it.

> All help greatly appreciated!

> Chris

How to get US Win95 on Libretto 20?

Post by Dean Zwik » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a Libretto 30.  I didn't try to translate the Win95-J.  Instead
I installed Win95-US but I used a floppy to boot during the
installation process.  I don't know off-hand how you would do it
without a floppy drive.  Sorry.

Quote:>I have a Toshiba Libretto 20, which came preloaded with Japanese Windows

Post by Mark Mayh » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have a Libretto 30.  I didn't try to translate the Win95-J.  Instead
>I installed Win95-US but I used a floppy to boot during the
>installation process.  I don't know off-hand how you would do it
>without a floppy drive.  Sorry.

Do you have the Japanese power-management utilities running?  Thanks!

--
Mark Mayhle

Post by cd21 » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >I have a Libretto 30.  I didn't try to translate the Win95-J.  Instead
> >I installed Win95-US but I used a floppy to boot during the
> >installation process.  I don't know off-hand how you would do it
> >without a floppy drive.  Sorry.

> Do you have the Japanese power-management utilities running?  Thanks!

I managed to install win95e without a floppy... Good thing, too, because
I don't have a floppy.  I used the win95 parallel port linkup (which I
stumbled through in japanese) to copy the contents of my Win95 CD to the
libretto.  I did run into problems, though, with the windows
installation itself.  At about 50% through (ranged from 47-56 or so) it
bombed with a GPF.  It turned out to be due to the presence of a hidden
file in the root directory.  There was info about it on microsoft's
knowledgebase.

I've been too lazy to do this, but I imagine that one can install the
power management utils just by finding a copy of expand from some old
dos disks (6.22 would probably work best).  The files with the .??_
extension can be decompressed with it.  DLLS and such might need to be
copied to the system directory.  Maybe this isn't feasable... The DLL's
may have to be registered.  I might just go try that.

Cap

1. FS: Libretto 20 20 RAM/810 HD Floppy DD

For Sale:

Toshiba Libretto 20
20 Megs RAM
810 HD
Floppy Disk Drive
Win 95 English version with all drivers installed.

asking $1400 plus shipping. Please respond by Monday 6/30/97 morning if
interested.

To stop SPAM I put a "Z" in front of my email address. Remove the "Z" to
email! DIE SPAMMERS!

2. New Service for your "Pager"!!!!!!

3. installing win95 US on libretto 50

4. Test

5. Help! Installing US Win95 on Libretto

6. $250 coupon for sony stuff

7. 20 MEG Flash. Best offer gets it.

8. FS: Everex A-20 Executive US$335

9. Want Libretto 20 (or 30)