Visual CE - Help Needed Badly!

Post by Rich » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Dear Friends

I have a BIG problem I hope you can help solve.  I have created two
databases and have entered data diligently for about 1 months now
(although I had bought Visual CE from Directcom in Oct 97!).  I stored
the two files on my storage card.

Today, I decided to "clear" my HP620LX by doing a hard reset.  I decided
to do this because I have installed a lot of demo software and my
palmtop was getting slow.  After the hard reset, I reinstalled all the
software that I use regularly, including of course Visual CE.  To my
horror, when I tried to open the two databases, there wasn't any records
inside!  Both have become empty shells.  Luckily I had done a backup on
4 Feb 98.  I restored everything and all the records in both the
databases "reappeared" (in the storage card).  However, all the records
I had entered since then  were gone :-(

Could anyone explain why the above happened?

What I did next was to import the 2 databases into 2 Microsoft Access
files.  I then did another hard reset.  Now I want to get the records in
the MS Access files back into 2 databases in my palmtop.  I had
previously sought Syware's help regarding exporting MS Access files into
the palmtop on 31 Oct 97.  I have no problem exporting the MS Access
database into a Visual CE ODBC file.  But after that I am lost.

Do I need to re-design another form for the database?  If yes, after
that, how do I get all the records down into the palmtop?  I sincerely
hope someone can give me some step-by-step idiot-proofed advice.  I am
feeling so desperate now as I have destroyed all the hard copies of
records that I had entered into my lost databases.

Thank you.

Best regards
Rich

Visual CE - Help Needed Badly!

Post by John Pot » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[...]

I am just taking a guess here, but.  There are two parts to the Visual CE
database.  One is the form you create for data entry (this is the icon
that you click on to activate the program).  The other is the actual
database that is stored in the 'Databases' folder on your palmtop
(with all the other database applications).  When you re-installed
Visual CE, you just re-installed the form.  The database got backed
up the last time you ran a backup of your palmtop (which you might
want to do more often).

Gee, I think I might want to back my little guy up now.  It's one of
those things I always meant to do just after I do something stupid to
my palmtop. :)

John Potts

1. What does the author of "Visual Basic Windows CE Programming" say about Visual CE?

Larry Roof, author of "Visual Basic Windows CE Programming" says
"Visual CE from Syware is one application that should be part of
every VB for CE developer's set of tools."

Please read the full review here:
<http://www.vbforce.com/ProductReviews.asp>.

In addition to Larry's brief review, you may want to read the
one written by Jared M of WinCE Lair. It is an excellent
in-depth review of the newest version of
Visual CE.

Jared writes "I am blown away by this product. I am thrilled to see
serious Windows CE development tools available to individuals who have
little or no programming experience!"

He also says "This is a tool of unlimited possibilities; whether you are
a senior programmer or a rookie company manager, you will be able to use
this tool to create a custom solution that is bound to increase profits,
productivity, and save money from made mistakes and unnecessary
downtime."

Please find the full review at <http://wincelair/visualce30.htm>.
Details on Visual CE and a free sample form are available at
<http://www.syware.com>.

2. Attach a file to e-mail

3. ELVIRA - How do you mix spells?

4. Visual CE Pocket Access Edition Beta Testers Needed [WinCE Database]

5. Problems in IRiX 5.3 after Memory Upgrade

6. Need help with Visual Basic DOS

7. Converting segment:offset to a C char pointer

8. Sold my CE 1 machine and Need help finding a CE 2 machine

9. Visual CE now available electronically Create new Windows CE Databases today!

10. Visual CE Forms builder for Windows CE

11. WIN CE Help needed

12. visual basic for CE