Importing csv's, making pdb's appear

Post by Maus » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi! I just got my Palm3 after months and months of anticipation, but I
have run into some glitches that cannot seem to be found anywhere in the
manuals. :( So much for the thrill of having it in my hands.

First, I put in my old addresses into an Excel spreadsheet then saving
the sheets as .csv files for import into the Palm Desktop address book.
The first couple of tries worked, with the columns in Palm Desktop
matching up nicely with those in my .csv, but now all the columns of
Palm has turned into an endless array of "First Name"! I don't know what
happened. (I tried reinstalling Palm Desktop, but there was no change.
And the .csv file looks fine when opened in Excel, so they aren't
corrupted.)

Next is the .pdb files I installed. If I look at the list of apps in the
Palm 3, they are installed, but there are no icons I can click to view
these databases. Am I missing something?

Finally, I connected the Hot Sync cradle to my modem port COM2. Now I
have to change the configuration in Hot Sync to COM1 for my modem to
work, then change it back to COM2 (not to mention switch cables) to do
the Hot Sync. Is there an easier way, other than adding ports?

Please help me! Thanks in advance...

Importing csv's, making pdb's appear

Post by Michael Glyki » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> First, I put in my old addresses into an Excel spreadsheet then saving
> the sheets as .csv files for import into the Palm Desktop address book.
> The first couple of tries worked, with the columns in Palm Desktop
> matching up nicely with those in my .csv, but now all the columns of
> Palm has turned into an endless array of "First Name"! I don't know what
> happened. (I tried reinstalling Palm Desktop, but there was no change.
> And the .csv file looks fine when opened in Excel, so they aren't
> corrupted.)

The first thing is that your address data on the pilot desktop is in a file
address.dat.  So checking if the .csv file is corrupt won't help you much.  When
you transferred the files, did you open up the Import part of the Pilot Desktop
and make sure that the fields lined up?
Are you sure they are "comma separated" and not "tab separated" when you saved
your excel file?

Quote:> Next is the .pdb files I installed. If I look at the list of apps in the
> Palm 3, they are installed, but there are no icons I can click to view
> these databases. Am I missing something?

Different programs use different techniques on their programs.  pdb files are
pilot database files that are used by a .prc file.  The .prc file is the program
while the .pdb file is the database that the program uses.  make sure you have
the .prc program installed.

Quote:> Finally, I connected the Hot Sync cradle to my modem port COM2. Now I
> have to change the configuration in Hot Sync to COM1 for my modem to
> work, then change it back to COM2 (not to mention switch cables) to do
> the Hot Sync. Is there an easier way, other than adding ports?

First, you could just exit from HotSync instead of changing the port settings.
If it is not running, then your computer will look for the modem.  Second,
unfortunately, you have to switch cables for now until you purchase a switch
box.  A switch box allows you to plug one wire into your computer and then 2, 3,
4...(depending on which one you get) different cables each assigned to a
different letter ex. Modem on A, Pilot on B.
Then all you do is switch from A to B when you want your pilot to sync.
Switch boxes range in price from about $35 and up.
A cheaper alternative is to get a serial cable extension.  That way you don't
have to keep plugging and unplugging from the back of your computer and wearing
down the connections.

Hope this helps
if you have any questions email me
-Mike

1. My 200LX destroys gdb's and pdb's on RAM/FLASH -cards

During normal work (searching a phonenumber or something) it happens,
that the databases i work with, are sudden broken. That means some
entries are mixed up with ASCII chars and/or there are whole parts
missing.
If I view these files with the filemanager I find things like help
text's of DOS commands or some env-files or entries of the
schedule-manager etc. in the beginning of such a file. This files can
not been copied any more. CHKDSK (CHECK) reports no errors on the SRAM
or FLASH card. I can't provoke this error but it happens one or two
times a week. It crashes not only during work but also when I try to
open a database it says 'Can't open file xxxxx on a:/.....' and then the
file is in a mess.
I tried different card's. I tried to reinstall everything after
SHIFT-STRG-ON and things like that, but it doesn't help at all.
So is there anybody with same experience. Does anybody know if there are
bugs in the software?

Sebastian Lux

2. forcing multiple bar graphs to same scale?

3. Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantum' at CeBIT ! :

4. PDF for Lotus Notes R5?

5. More info about Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantun'

6. I'm Male, DAMMIT!

7. About 'e' and 'n' of Graffiti

8. Need help with apparent AWDFLASH 'bug'...

9. Heeeere comes the 'PalmV' (AKA 'Razor') !

10. WTB: all palmtops/ hpc's/ pp's/ libretto's/ pda's/ etc

11. How to get TODO's to appear on the calendar...

12. Online/Upload text file and convert to Palm's PDB format