Tone dialling from psion 3

Post by Robin Fairbair » Thu, 18 Feb 1993 19:00:34

A couple of days ago, I posted a plea from "Alan J.Flavell" (SY07 at

directly BT-connected 'phone.  He still hasn't got write access to
Usenet, but he writes in private mail to me:

================

I should like to extend my thanks to uk.telecom for their very
useful advice.  Having tried the settings of tone=4units, gap=
4 units, I got much better results, provided I was careful with
the distance to the microphone.

Increasing the lengths (as suggested in the Psion manual for
dealing with adverse situations) does not help, indeed it seems
to make matters worse.  On the other hand I found 3/3 less reliable,
and 2/2 unusable, so I think I've settled on 4/4.

It now works well with a borrowed phone (I cannot tell you what type,
it has no model name, only a BT logo and approval number) - in spite
of the fact that this phone's mike picks up a lot of hash from the
"works" of the Psion - I can hear hash in the earpiece and there's
even a little !eek when I push the key to start the dialling!
(Must be electromagnetic coupling - unlike the dialling itself).

On my own phone (an Audioline TEL45 that otherwise works well for
me) Psion dialling is significantly less reliable, and initially I was
not able to get it to work at all.  (Especially with the initial
settings of 8/8 before I asked advice).  The distance of the Psion
from the mike seems very critical.

I'll be trying other telephones with renewed confidence.  Thanks
a lot to the several informants.

==========

Crossposted to comp.sys.palmtops, at Alan's suggestion.
--

U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK

Tone dialling from psion 3

Post by Toin Bl » Fri, 19 Feb 1993 01:09:28

Hello,

I had a similar problem in the Netherlands: I can dial to 'normal' numbers
(like that of people at home), but not to the buy-numbers. That are the
06-numbers here in Holland. Does anyone know why this is?

Toin Bloo                                 The Young Scientists Eindhoven
                                          Frederiklaan 163  5616 NE  Eindhoven

1. Tone dialling from psion 3

    I just caught the tail of this thread.  So let me throw in a related
question about auto-dialing from a palmtop.

    I have a vanilla HP95lx, which I've successfully used with the new
Worldport fax-modem to dial up my host machine here at uiuc through our
local telephone system.  I recently attempted to do likewise in London,
accessing a courtesy account through British Telecom.  Despite fiddling
with all the parameters I could find to fiddle with on the HP, nothing
would work until, finally, I set up a configuration file with the phone
number field blank.  Then, when running "connect", I would key in the
prefix and number, and everything worked fine.  I'm at a loss to understand
why, and would appreciate help or comments from anyone.

.

2. ANN: Clock+ 3.7 with hi-rez support for Tungsten T

3. Technique for Tone Dialing using LX-DIAL

4. round viewports

5. FS: STACKED A2500HD/030/882 System!

6. PSION 3a: Sending Hayes-AT instead tone-dial from Data-app?

7. Informatics '95

8. Tone Dialling

9. Can the Pilot generate dial tones?

10. Tone dialing from a HP200LX from Phone?

11. Tone dialing phone book

12. Tone dialling facility