tftp client

Post by Tim Howart » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a RISC OS tftp client? - beyond the one in the
AntSuite.

I'm looking for one which will simply fetch a file from a server via
command line (*tftp server get myfile adfs::4.$.myfile)  - the Ant tftp
(AFAICT) uses a tftp environement which accepts commands so can't be
driven by obeyfile (it can be driven by an exec file but I want to use
system variables for the paths).

Or does anyone know an examples of sockety stuff in BASIC which could be
adapted ?

Ta.

--
___
 |im    ---- ARM Powered ----

tftp client

Post by James Burs » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Or does anyone know an examples of sockety stuff in BASIC which could be
> adapted ?

Python has got lots of sockety stuff, and a module for handling ftp. Might
be worth looking at http://eh.org/~laurie/comp/acorn/ropython/

James

--

Cambridge, UK                                  http://www.bursa.freeuk.com/

tftp client

Post by Iain Williamso » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a RISC OS tftp client? - beyond the one in the
> AntSuite.

> I'm looking for one which will simply fetch a file from a server via
> command line (*tftp server get myfile adfs::4.$.myfile)  - the Ant tftp
> (AFAICT) uses a tftp environement which accepts commands so can't be
> driven by obeyfile (it can be driven by an exec file but I want to use
> system variables for the paths).

sFtp can be scripted, so can probably do what you want. I don't think
it'll take commands directly from the command line and quit as appropriate,
though.
--
To avoid being sent to a communal spam bin, remove the XXX to e-mail me.
You'll get a quicker response -- Iain Williamson

tftp client

Post by Tim Howart » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know of a RISC OS tftp client? - beyond the one in the
> > AntSuite.
> sFtp can be scripted, so can probably do what you want. I don't think
> it'll take commands directly from the command line and quit as appropriate,
> though.

Same problem, I want to be able to fetch a file called <system$var> -
IIRC sftp like Ant's tftp tries to fetch a file with that name not its
value.

I also want tftp (trivial ftp) rather than ftp as the client has to be
small (Ant's tftp is 15k sftp is IIRC 130k) to fit into an NC ethernet
ROM (128k).

--
___
 |im    ---- ARM Powered ----

tftp client

Post by Stewart Brodi » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > I want to be able to fetch a file called <system$var> - IIRC sftp like
> > Ant's tftp tries to fetch a file with that name not its value.

> Can't you use 'Set Alias' to get around this?

> e.g. my NC is happy with:

>   *Set Alias$DoCommand LanMan: Connect <NFSBoot$LanMan$Mount>
>     <NFSBoot$LanMan$Domain> <NFSBoot$LanMan$Directory> user

>   *DoCommand

> but is not happy with:

>   *LanMan: Connect <NFSBoot$LanMan$Mount> <NFSBoot$LanMan$Domain>
>     <NFSBoot$LanMan$Directory> user

That's because the Set will cause gstransing to occur.  We have a small
utility called Do which simply passes its parameters to OS_CLI with the
benefit of having had the macros expanded.

Quote:> > I also want tftp (trivial ftp) rather than ftp as the client has to be
> > small (Ant's tftp is 15k sftp is IIRC 130k) to fit into an NC ethernet
> > ROM (128k).

15K?  What's it doing to be that large (ours is 7K)

--
Stewart Brodie, Senior Software Engineer    (Views expressed are my own and
Pace Micro Technology PLC                   not those of my employer)

tftp client

Post by Peter Bel » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Yes, that puts a different spin on things. I have a command line FTP
> client here which is 60k, but doesn't seem to take a simple session
> as a parameter. It also doesn't seem to work here.

> The author states it as freeware but he retains the copyright.
> Unfortunately, he doesn't say who he is, other than being

From memory, I think the surname was Greatorex, or something like
that, but I haven't seen any postings from him for some time.

5 Drome Path, Winnersh, Wokingham, Berkshire  RG41 5HB, UK.
Tel. +44 (0) 118 989 0982   Fax. +44 (0) 118 989 0929

tftp client

Post by Tim Howart » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > > I also want tftp (trivial ftp) rather than ftp as the client has to be
> > > small (Ant's tftp is 15k sftp is IIRC 130k) to fit into an NC ethernet
> > > ROM (128k).

> 15K?  What's it doing to be that large (ours is 7K)

Swap you a small bag of sparkly things for it.

--
___
 |im    ---- ARM Powered ----

1. Running AUN clients and TCPIP/AUN client from same server

We are hoping to run a mixture of acorn computers off an AUN server,
where they can also connect to TCP/IP for browsing the WWW using
something like ANT's Internet Suite.

After looking into this problem for a little while now I seem to have
come to the conclusion the only way to do this is to load an !internet
module (setting the correct IP address for TCP/IP) and then running
!Bootnet from a disk (which maps an AUN station number from the TCP/IP
IP address).  The problem associated with this is that you need a local
disk to store the !Internet and !Bootnet modules (with a system) so this
doesn't really work on a floppy disk machine.

We think the best way is to only install an Internet connection on the
Hard Disk machines, but because the sub-net mask is changed from a class A
to a class B subnet these machines will only see AUN servers that also
run the internet module. Changing the server to run internet means the
older floppy A3000's would then not be able to see the server (due to
them expecting a Class A network).

We would really like to be able to run an AUN server (containing a
Share'd Disk) that can be seen from both inernetted and non internetted
Acorns.  Unfortunately I have not found any way of doing this, and would
be most grateful for any suggestions or help that can be offered.

One of the ideas we had was, would it be possible to have two ethernet
cards in the Acorn server, one which is setup to talk to the Interented
(class B net) acorns, and one which could talk to the non Interneted
acorns (class A net).

Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Mark Stephens

PS If you are answering this from a newsgroup please could you mail me a
copy as I do not always get time to read the newsgroup.

Thanks

2. Problem with circumflex-key

3. Is there a TFTP server for RO?

4. Demon Dialers Information Wanted

5. How to transforms: Sybase Open Client DB-Library/C on HP-UX applications into Sybase Open Client Client-Library/C compatible applications on UNIX

6. Using OLE Source for transfer to Windows Explorer

7. Add a link

8. Why don't all RISC OS proponents have RC5 clients?

9. ViNCe (VNC client) - new version

10. ViNCe (VNC client) released

11. RISC OS MSN Messenger client - first public beta

12. Needed: Citrix ICA Client