OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Ray Dawso » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:44:05

> Hi all

> Sorry for this off topic but the BBC on its' news website has a "have
> your say" page and one subject is Bill Gates retirement. Just a note to
> say if any articulate RISCOS users want to put comments on the BBC page
> it would be a chance to give RISCOS a small bit of publicity. Someone
> like Paul Vigay for example??

RISC OS needs credible publicity, not a full time Gates knocker venting
his spleen.

Anyway, I saw in the paper the other day that the guy who successfully
fooled some of the world by creating crop circles has died. Perhaps he was
killed by jealous aliens - or one of those he fooled :-)

I believe there has been a lot of publicity regarding Bill Gates'
philanthropic role in life, so I think critisism won't go down
particularly well. I'm not sure that there is a philanthropic side to the
RISC OS world, unless you count users spending money on it as if it had
charitable status ;-)

Cheers,

Ray D

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Steve Fryat » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:32:50

Quote:> Sorry for this off topic but the BBC on its' news website has a "have
> your say" page and one subject is Bill Gates retirement. Just a note to
> say if any articulate RISCOS users want to put comments on the BBC page
> it would be a chance to give RISCOS a small bit of publicity. Someone
> like Paul Vigay for example??

I can't help feeling that would be the last thing the RISC OS world would
need in terms of good publicity...

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Jess » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:31:31

[snip]

Quote:> I believe there has been a lot of publicity regarding Bill Gates'
> philanthropic role in life, so I think critisism won't go down
> particularly well. I'm not sure that there is a philanthropic side to the
> RISC OS world, unless you count users spending money on it as if it had
> charitable status ;-)

I wonder to what extent this offsets the money governments waste on
dodgy software, that could go on aid budgets instead. Not far I
expect.

--
Jess                   Iyonix
contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Ray Dawso » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:02:09

> > Anyway, I saw in the paper the other day that the guy who successfully
> > fooled some of the world by creating crop circles has died. Perhaps he
> > was killed by jealous aliens - or one of those he fooled :-)

> I don't suppose you have the reference/details for that do you? If it
> was "Doug Bower", I didn't know he'd died. Might make a news item on my
> CC site.

It was Matt Williams and I got it wrong - he's not dead. He had to stop
because he got hay fever making th crop circles :-)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=17233768%26method...

Cheers,

Ray D

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Simon Challand » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:13:40

Quote:> Sorry for this off topic but the BBC on its' news website has a "have your
> say" page and one subject is Bill Gates retirement. Just a note to say if
> any articulate RISCOS users want to put comments on the BBC page it would be
> a chance to give RISCOS a small bit of publicity. Someone like Paul Vigay
> for example??

Looking at most of the comments on there you'd be wasting your time. They
nearly all seem to have bought the Microsoft message hook, line, and sinker.
You may not be able to fool all of the people all of the time, but Bill
Gates has come close. If one more person says how he's "brought computing
to the masses", or his donations are anything other than PR stunts using
money he couldn't possibly spend anyway, then I'll be very tempted to
punch them.

--
Simon Challands

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by beamendslt » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:53:40

> > Sorry for this off topic but the BBC on its' news website has a "have your
> > say" page and one subject is Bill Gates retirement. Just a note to say if
> > any articulate RISCOS users want to put comments on the BBC page it would be
> > a chance to give RISCOS a small bit of publicity. Someone like Paul Vigay
> > for example??

> Looking at most of the comments on there you'd be wasting your time. They
> nearly all seem to have bought the Microsoft message hook, line, and sinker.
> You may not be able to fool all of the people all of the time, but Bill
> Gates has come close. If one more person says how he's "brought computing
> to the masses", or his donations are anything other than PR stunts using
> money he couldn't possibly spend anyway, then I'll be very tempted to
> punch them.

There's quite a lot critial of Micksoft, almost all of them along the
lines of "has held back computing 10 years" type of thing. I resisted
mentioning ROS in my contribution as anyone daring to suggest Mac or
Linux got a bit of a pasting.

It does just show how good a job Mickysoft has done on the marketing
front though - many of the posters are quite convinced the Gates
invented everything and that there is no alternative.

It's also interesting to note how many of those sticking up for
Mac OS don't seen to realise it's just a Unix/Linux (or whatever
it is exactly) front end these days.

Richard
--

RISC-OS - Where have all the good guys gone?
Lib Dems - Townies keeping comedy alive

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Quillja » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:16:44

Quote:> It does just show how good a job Mickysoft has done on the marketing
> front though - many of the posters are quite convinced the Gates
> invented everything and that there is no alternative.

> It's also interesting to note how many of those sticking up for
> Mac OS don't seen to realise it's just a Unix/Linux (or whatever
> it is exactly) front end these days.

> Richard

But it's not just computers. Americans don't seem to know anything about
stuff outside America. Two examples are. 1. On a visit to Oregon several
years ago my then 10 year old son did not like the food. Our hostess  kindly
said, 'Well, just have a hamburger then!' He was nearly sick on the spot!

2. I know that almost all American Elementary school teachers believe that
the original form of handwriting (seen on Moses' tablets) is Palmer Cursive!
5000 years of handwriting history and  development might never have
happened...ah well,

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Brian Howlet » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:57:52

[snip]

Quote:> almost all American Elementary school teachers believe that the
> original form of handwriting (seen on Moses' tablets) is Palmer
> Cursive! 5000 years of handwriting history and development might never
> have happened...ah well,

You mean the Ten Commandments weren't written in 24pt Comic Sans?

In Pink?
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Heart of gold, nerves of steel, knob of butter...

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by Martin Wyn » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:24:55

Quote:>> It does just show how good a job Mickysoft has done on the marketing
>> front though - many of the posters are quite convinced the Gates
>> invented everything and that there is no alternative.

>> It's also interesting to note how many of those sticking up for
>> Mac OS don't seen to realise it's just a Unix/Linux (or whatever
>> it is exactly) front end these days.

>> Richard

> But it's not just computers. Americans don't seem to know anything about
> stuff outside America. Two examples are. 1. On a visit to Oregon several
> years ago my then 10 year old son did not like the food. Our hostess  kindly
> said, 'Well, just have a hamburger then!' He was nearly sick on the spot!

> 2. I know that almost all American Elementary school teachers believe that
> the original form of handwriting (seen on Moses' tablets) is Palmer Cursive!
> 5000 years of handwriting history and  development might never have
> happened...ah well,

Well not wishing to sterotype... I had occasion to ring the American
Express help line and this transferred me to good old USA. The
operator had great difficulty in working out where New Orleans was and
was not entirely happy with my suggestion of Louisiana and had to ask
her supervisor!

Martin.

--
Martin Wynn

OT. Bill Gates retirement

Post by n.. » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 06:14:22

> And I just registered www.killmicrosoft.com too. :-)

Is that why you're ignoring my emails about the Windows version of
BasCalc?  Have I upset you by demonstrating that Windows can actually
run a useful program?  :-)

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

1. AVI file showing bill gates crashing win98

If anyone wants a copy of an AVI file showing Bill Gates
when he crashed Windows98 live on CNN tv, I have it, if
there is enough people want it, I may upload it to the web

--
Andrew C. Poole
In the heart of Cheshire - Northwich

Visit AcornSite: http://come.to/acornsite
or my site: http://www.malpasroad.freeserve.co.uk
... SYSTEM ERROR:  press F13 to continue...

2. A1200 monitor problem. Need help...

3. More cream pies for Bill Gates [update]

4. InnoDB losing records, gaps appearing in autoincrement sequence

5. TV Nation & Bill Gates

6. Unable to switch from samba 1.9.16p11 to 1.9.18p4 or better -> Security Problems?

7. Bill Gates is sane...

8. Ethernet or Token ring?????

9. Bill Gates in UK Where & why?

10. Assasin wanted: for Bill Gates

11. Bill Gates in Education

12. Bill Gates was hit by a cake in his face :-)

13. Bill Gates Domestic Products?