Advise on Filters please

Post by Raymond Twor » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 06:27:49

Hi,

Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need.
Let me explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension that
has a CallerID unit and modem attached. Plugged into the master box i have
a mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax machine deployed
around the home.
Would i get away with just one for the exchange and one each for the CID
unit & modem, or would i need one for each of the exchanges extensions as
well.

TIA

Ray

--
.---------------.
| RAYMOND TWORT |   Using an Acorn RiscPC700/SA RiscOS4

 MEDWAY, ENGLAND    http://www.rwt.ukgateway.net/

Boldly going where no modem has gone before...

Advise on Filters please

Post by Chris War » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:58:44

> > Hi,

> > Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need. Let
> > me explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension
> > that has a CallerID unit and modem attached. Plugged into the master
> > box i have a mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax
> > machine deployed around the home. Would i get away with just one for
> > the exchange and one each for the CID unit & modem, or would i need
> > one for each of the exchanges extensions as well.

> I would recommend filtering at source ie just one filter. You can get a
> new Master Socket Front plate which will have an ADSL output and a
> filtered voice outlet, also all extensions will be filtered if you take
> them from the back of this new Master Socket front plate.

> Clarity sell them as do other folk.

> See:-

> http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

Misco advice on my BB set up.
============================

ANY device that is plugged into a telephone socket - needs a filter.

This includes SKY set top box cable out to phone as well.

I have fitted the Linksys units - cheap, samll and so far - good.

Chris
--
If Carlsberg made computers, they would say that:

RiscOS technology with ARM chips make:

'.... the best Computer System in the world.... '

Advise on Filters please

Post by Ray Dawso » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:49:42

> > > Hi,

> > > Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need. Let
> > > me explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension
> > > that has a CallerID unit and modem attached. Plugged into the master
> > > box i have a mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax
> > > machine deployed around the home. Would i get away with just one for
> > > the exchange and one each for the CID unit & modem, or would i need
> > > one for each of the exchanges extensions as well.

> > I would recommend filtering at source ie just one filter. You can get
> > a new Master Socket Front plate which will have an ADSL output and a
> > filtered voice outlet, also all extensions will be filtered if you
> > take them from the back of this new Master Socket front plate.

> > Clarity sell them as do other folk.

> > See:-

> > http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

> Misco advice on my BB set up. ============================

> ANY device that is plugged into a telephone socket - needs a filter.

Presumably Misco are trying to sell filters.

Any device which eventually ends up plugged into a telephone socket needs
to go VIA a filter. It doesn't need one each. If you have three telephones
plugged eventually into a socket, all you need is ONE filter from the
socket going to whatever splits the telephone devices.

Cheers,

Ray D

Advise on Filters please

Post by Chris War » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:50:33

> > > I would recommend filtering at source ie just one filter. You can get
> > > a new Master Socket Front plate which will have an ADSL output and a
> > > filtered voice outlet, also all extensions will be filtered if you
> > > take them from the back of this new Master Socket front plate.

> > > Clarity sell them as do other folk.

> > > See:-

> > > http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

> > Misco advice on my BB set up. ============================

> > ANY device that is plugged into a telephone socket - needs a filter.

> Presumably Misco are trying to sell filters.

> Any device which eventually ends up plugged into a telephone socket needs
> to go VIA a filter. It doesn't need one each. If you have three telephones
> plugged eventually into a socket, all you need is ONE filter from the
> socket going to whatever splits the telephone devices.

> Cheers,

> Ray D

Sky box = 1 telephone connect
telephone = 1
BB connect = 1

Due to the wiring in house / extension facility

Chris
--

Post by Steve Fryat » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:30:50

> > > Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need. Let
> > > me explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension
> > > that has a CallerID unit and modem attached. Plugged into the master
> > > box i have a mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax
> > > machine deployed around the home. Would i get away with just one for
> > > the exchange and one each for the CID unit & modem, or would i need
> > > one for each of the exchanges extensions as well.

> > I would recommend filtering at source ie just one filter. You can get a
> > new Master Socket Front plate which will have an ADSL output and a
> > filtered voice outlet, also all extensions will be filtered if you take
> > them from the back of this new Master Socket front plate.

> > Clarity sell them as do other folk.

> > See:-

> > http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

> Misco advice on my BB set up.

> ANY device that is plugged into a telephone socket - needs a filter.

> This includes SKY set top box cable out to phone as well.

> I have fitted the Linksys units - cheap, samll and so far - good.

Any 'non-broadband' device needs a filter, so in Raymond's case the Caller
ID unit, the modem and the exchange will need filters (ie. three filters).
The three phones and the fax must also be filtered, but they will get
their filtering from the fact that the exchange is filtered.

However, depending on where the ADSL modem will go, I would second Barry's
advice: stick a master filter on the incoming BT socket (assuming its an
NTE5 type) and filter the lot in one go.  This single filter will cover
the exchange (plugged into it) and the callerID + modem (as the extension
will be filtered).  I can also recommend Clarity, having just bought the
kit that Barry mentions.

The only possible problem, since it looks as if the extension goes to the
place where the computer(s) live, is that it would require the existing
extension to be duplicated with unfiltered wires to carry the ADSL signal.
This would still be the ideal solution, but pragmatically the OP may find
that filtering the output of each socket may be an easier option which
removes the need to run in parallel wiring.  In this case, using one of
the items on http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_linejacks.html may help
to make the wiring neater at the extension end (the master socket end may
require a bit more thought).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Advise on Filters please

Post by New » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:05:46

Quote:> Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need. Let me
> explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension that has
> a CallerID unit and modem attached. Plugged into the master box i have a
> mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax machine deployed
> around the home. Would i get away with just one for the exchange and one
> each for the CID unit & modem, or would i need one for each of the
> exchanges extensions as well.

It depends on how far you wish the broadband to go round the house on the
telephone wiring. If, for example, you want to use the last socket on the
line for broadband, you'll need filters on all the rest used for
telephones, etc. But if you can run Cat 5 cable from the first socket to
the computer, one *built in* filter at that socket will do the rest of the
house.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Advise on Filters please

Post by charle » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:27:36

Quote:> Hi,
> Going Broadband, and am uncertain how many filters i would need. Let me
> explain i have the normal BT line master box also an extension that has a
> CallerID unit and modem attached.  Plugged into the master box i have a
> mini exchange with 3 phones and a combined phone/fax machine deployed
> around the home.

I have a virtually identical system.  I only have one filter, plugged into
the incoming line before the exchange and CLI unit.

Quote:> Would i get away with just one for the exchange and one each for the CID
> unit & modem, or would i need one for each of the exchanges extensions as
> well.

I wouldn't expect broadband signals to travel through the exchange since it
doesn't pass CLI data.

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Advise on Filters please

Post by Steven Pamplin » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:53:14

[Snip]

Quote:> > Presumably Misco are trying to sell filters.
> > Any device which eventually ends up plugged into a telephone socket
> > needs to go VIA a filter. It doesn't need one each. If you have three
> > telephones plugged eventually into a socket, all you need is ONE
> > filter from the socket going to whatever splits the telephone devices.
> Sky box = 1 telephone connect
> telephone = 1
> BB connect = 1
> Due to the wiring in house / extension facility

If the filter is placed at a point between the input from the telephone
exchange and your phone (and sky plug) with another line out for broadband
router then you only need the one filter.

As stated previously Clarity sell replacement faceplates for BT phone
sockets which filter both the phone out on the front and the connection on
the rear while giving you an extra little socket to plug in the broadband
plug.

For a little extra they do another version that also includes an additional
Krone style connector on the rear so you could extend the broadband link
through to another part of the house.

I'd put money on the more expensive faceplate still being cheaper than the
combination MISCO are trying to sell.

Advise on Filters please

Post by Dave Higto » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 04:03:58

Quote:> I wouldn't expect broadband signals to travel through the exchange since it
> doesn't pass CLI data.

What?

Dave

Advise on Filters please

Post by charle » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 05:35:37

> > I wouldn't expect broadband signals to travel through the exchange
> > since it doesn't pass CLI data.
> What?

CLI = Caller Line Identity = who's calling?

Quote:> Dave

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Advise on Filters please

Post by Dave Higto » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:22:42

> > > I wouldn't expect broadband signals to travel through the exchange
> > > since it doesn't pass CLI data.

> > What?

> CLI = Caller Line Identity = who's calling?

Yes.. but what connection has that got with whether broadband signals
will travel through the exchange?

Dave

Advise on Filters please

Post by charle » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:34:55

> > > What?

> > CLI = Caller Line Identity = who's calling?
> Yes.. but what connection has that got with whether broadband signals
> will travel through the exchange?

because I suspect the data is sent as high frequency signals.

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Advise on Filters please

Post by Steven Pamplin » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:19:20

> > > CLI = Caller Line Identity = who's calling?
> > Yes.. but what connection has that got with whether broadband signals
> > will travel through the exchange?
> because I suspect the data is sent as high frequency signals.

"High frequency"? It's digital. Rather like the phone calls beyond certain
points in the infrastructure.

Advise on Filters please

Post by charle » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:44:07

> > > Yes.. but what connection has that got with whether broadband signals
> > > will travel through the exchange?
> > because I suspect the data is sent as high frequency signals.
> "High frequency"? It's digital. Rather like the phone calls beyond certain
> points in the infrastructure.

Then how does it get removed by passing through an PAX?  It can't be in the
voice frequency range.

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Advise on Filters please

Post by n.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:01:41

> Then how does it get removed by passing through an PAX?  It can't be in the
> voice frequency range.

It certainly is!

If CLI signals used the same frequency range as broadband, a
microfilter would stop the CLI data too!  And how could they coexist on
the same line anyway?  Since CLI data is sent before (or between) the
rings it's entirely likely that a private exchange would remove it.

See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

Richard (ex-BBC R&D).
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

1. Panic - Paul Vigay please advise

Please read and respond to thread "Migration from ukgateway
to tiscali" in this group. I can no longer send email (not
even by dial.pipex.com), though I can still download it.

Joyce.

--
"Like one, that on a lonesome road
 Doth walk in fear and dread,

2. Change a dimension in JMDL

3. SONET - advises please

4. recommendations for laser printer/flatbed copier

5. Please advise on Mail-order parts.

6. Connecting to two providers.How?

7. New to archi please advise!

8. ISDN

9. Please please please please FAQ + DuneII

10. Telephone filters - advice needed please

11. 495SX motherboard: how to upgrade - advise needed

12. Need your advise regarding SCAN.co.uk

13. Can anyone advise