!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Gareth V. Willia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     Cheers and Jeers

 :-)  Today (6th May) I received the mailing offering a 25% discount on
      purchasing the latest versions of !Java and !Browse.

 :-)  The address on the envelope was correct!  Hurrah!  No more
      mailings to the non-existant '50 Garden Street' getting lost in
      the future.

 :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.

 :-(  Why am I only now getting the mailing.  What was the date of
      the postmark on the envelope?  26 March?  Oh, it was sent
      surface mail...  Did other non-U.K/non-european recipient
      get theirs via surface mail too?  If a surface-mail package
      takes 6 weeks to get from the U.K. to the east coast of the
      U.S., I dread to think how long they take to AU/NZ!

Gareth V. Williams, MS 18, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Associate Director, IAU Minor Planet Center
E-mail address suppressed         http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html
OpenVMS & RISC OS: refined choices in operating systems

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by James Steven » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.

Don't despair, the offer has been extended till the end of May.

Jamie.

--
Name   : James Stevens.                   | Using An Acorn RISC PC.

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jamess/    | P133 Co-Processor running Win95
Includes Movie/Music Reviews, Software,   | 2.5Gb HD, 48Mb DRAM, 2Mb VRAM.

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Dana K Scull » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  :-)  The address on the envelope was correct!  Hurrah!  No more
>       mailings to the non-existant '50 Garden Street' getting lost in
>       the future.

I've got to ask, why isn't there a 50 Garden Street, when, according to
your .sig, you live at no. 60?

* A likely impossibility is always preferable to an unconvincing possibility.
--
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)

 A woman of many talents.  (possibly?) ;)

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Stuart Bel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>      Cheers and Jeers
>  :-)  Today (6th May) I received the mailing offering a 25% discount on
>       purchasing the latest versions of !Java and !Browse.
>  :-)  The address on the envelope was correct!  Hurrah!  No more
>       mailings to the non-existant '50 Garden Street' getting lost in
>       the future.
>  :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.
>  :-(  Why am I only now getting the mailing.  What was the date of
>       the postmark on the envelope?  26 March?  Oh, it was sent
>       surface mail...  Did other non-U.K/non-european recipient
>       get theirs via surface mail too?  If a surface-mail package
>       takes 6 weeks to get from the U.K. to the east coast of the
>       U.S., I dread to think how long they take to AU/NZ!

What are you worried about? I live less than 2 hours from Cambridge, UK,
and mine's still in the post!  ;-)

PS I believe the discount period has been extended!

cheers,

--
Stuart Bell - change nospam to argonet to email responses to news.
Running an Acorn Risc PC, a Mac Color Classic and

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Victor Markwar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>  :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.

I think that offer has been extended. See Acorn's web site.
Quote:

>  :-(  Why am I only now getting the mailing.  What was the date of
>       the postmark on the envelope?  26 March?  Oh, it was sent
>       surface mail...  Did other non-U.K/non-european recipient
>       get theirs via surface mail too?  If a surface-mail package
>       takes 6 weeks to get from the U.K. to the east coast of the
>       U.S., I dread to think how long they take to AU/NZ!

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and emailed Tom Waller of Tower
Electronics immediately to take advantage of the offer.
[snip]
Cheers
Victor

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Steven Syke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>       If a surface-mail package
>       takes 6 weeks to get from the U.K. to the east coast of the
>       U.S., I dread to think how long they take to AU/NZ!

Well, I'm going to tell you! I remember last year asking for a Clan
membership form at the beginning of the year and I received it in
August!

Cheers,

--
Steven

Newsletter editor and Webmaster of WACC - Wellington Acorn Computer Club
WACC pages: http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/pbrowne/WACC/
Phone: (04) 527-8812 or (025) 908-448
My pages: http://www.ee.cit.ac.nz/1996YearBook/web/students/sykesst/

... As long as I can remember, I've had amnesia.

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by James Steven » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> What are you worried about? I live less than 2 hours from Cambridge, UK,
> and mine's still in the post!  ;-)

That's nothing!  I live 10 minutes from Acorn HQ and I still haven't received
my Clan Newsletter.

Totally unrelated, but who cares!

Jamie.

--

Post by Vincent Lefevr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.

The date was postponed to the end of May because of the delays.

--

WWW: http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~vlefevre/ | 20+2MB RAM, Eagle M2, TV + Teletext
PhD st. in Computer Science, 2nd year  | Apple CD-300, SyQuest 270MB (SCSI)

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Gareth V. Willia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: >  :-)  The address on the envelope was correct!  Hurrah!  No more
: >       mailings to the non-existant '50 Garden Street' getting lost in
: >       the future.

: I've got to ask, why isn't there a 50 Garden Street, when, according to
: your .sig, you live at no. 60?

   I don't live at number 60.  That is the address of the observatory.
The observatory sprawls over a couple of acres on the outskirts
of the Harvard "campus", and it is quite common for such large complexes
to "absorb" surrounding numbers.

Post by Alisdair McDiarmi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Dana K Scull » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : >  :-)  The address on the envelope was correct!  Hurrah!  No more
> : >       mailings to the non-existant '50 Garden Street' getting lost in
> : >       the future.
> : I've got to ask, why isn't there a 50 Garden Street, when, according to
> : your .sig, you live at no. 60?
>    I don't live at number 60.  That is the address of the observatory.
> The observatory sprawls over a couple of acres on the outskirts
> of the Harvard "campus", and it is quite common for such large complexes
> to "absorb" surrounding numbers.

Aha. IC. apologies.

* Give me chastity and continence, but not just now.
--

Post by Chris Hughe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > What are you worried about? I live less than 2 hours from Cambridge, UK,
> > and mine's still in the post!  ;-)

> That's nothing!  I live 10 minutes from Acorn HQ and I still haven't received
> my Clan Newsletter.

Ah! But they don't come from Acorn HQ anymore......

--
Chris Hughes, Member of Wakefield Acorn Computer (User) Group
(The views expressed above are mine, and not necessarily the User Group's)

Wakefield Acorn Spring Show (16/17 May) -
                        Don't miss the Clan preview launch of RiscPC 2

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by Chris Hughe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>      Cheers and Jeers
>  :-(  The 25% discount offer expired April 30.

The offer has been extended due to the delays to end of May.

--
Chris Hughes, Member of Wakefield Acorn Computer (User) Group
(The views expressed above are mine, and not necessarily the User Group's)

Wakefield Acorn Spring Show (16/17 May) -
                           Don't miss the Clan preview launch of RiscPC 2

!Browse/!Java post-beta offer

Post by James Steven » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > That's nothing!  I live 10 minutes from Acorn HQ and I still haven't
> received
> > my Clan Newsletter.
> Ah! But they don't come from Acorn HQ anymore......

Yeah, they now come from Stevenage (It did eventually come).

Jamie.

--

Post by Andrew Berr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I wouldn't if I were you; the Clan newsletter's best feature is the
> plain brown envelope it came in. Much more interesting than the

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:> contents.

In that case I'm not very happy. Mine came in a white envelope so it
looks like I missed out on the best part. I shall be complaining.

Seriously, I found the Eidos and Unix articles interesting but the URI
article was a waste of space, looking very much like it was added to
save having to write anything else in order to fill the space. An
*article* on URIs would have been interesting and useful, but instead
we get an excerpt from a future PRM update which will be of interest to
only a limited number of people. There was less of interest in that
article than in Stewart Brodie's recent post in this thread; a two- or
three-page article with a reference to the technical stuff on the web
site would have made for a much better newsletter, IMO.

Cheers,
--

http://www.metallinks.com/

Crying are souls that have forgotten how to bleed

1. Advice ? !Browse & !Java or !Fresco & !Java ??

Now we have the opportunity to use !Java my question is do I just use
it with my existing Ant Suite (1.29b/1.69R) or is the new Acorn !Browse
a better option.

I started to use the Beta after the show but chickened out when problems arose !

Any advice would be appreciated, I only started using the Internet from the time
of the show so my experience is limited.

--

Tel: 01992 629659

2. 6502 logic analyzer pod

3. Browse beta CD

4. Server Internet aaccess

5. Making Windows 2000 Work with DHCP

6. Java and Browse Update Discs.

7. Next Laser Printer

8. Buying Browse and Java CD's

9. No news re Phoebe, Medi, Peanut, Browse, Java, Forbidden...

10. Browse suspended, Java continues...

11. Browse/Java CD installation- What a MESS!

12. FS: Browse and Java