1. abysmal modem speed
a few weeks ago i was regularly getting connect speeds of 24000
and 28800 with my internal 33.6 modem (one of those former
Online Media jobbies). then one day for no apparent reason it
went down to 12000, 9600, 7200 and now 4800. very frustrating.
- i have wasted an embarrassing amount of time floundering about
messing with this setting and that, not really knowing what all those
- have had BT check the line and increase its "gain" -- no improvement
(although this helped in a previous episode last summer).
- have swapped telephone lead from another modem -- no better.
here are lines from my Antsuite log showing the start of recent online
sessions (ATW2\V1 in the modem init string produces this report):
12:08 < CONNECT 57600/V34/LAPM/V42BIS/31200:TX/4800:RX
22:36 < CONNECT 115200/V34/LAPM/V42BIS/28800:TX/4800:RX
984:40 < CONNECT 115200/V32/LAPM/V42BIS/4800
2172:10 < CONNECT 57600/V32/LAPM/V42BIS/4800
142:05 < CONNECT 38400/V32/LAPM/V42BIS/4800
258:16 < CONNECT 38400/V32/LAPM/V42BIS/4800
851:37 < CONNECT 57600/V34/LAPM/V42BIS/31200:TX/4800:RX
as i understand it, the first figure is the "port" speed. the OM modem
came with 57600 recommended; i tried cutting it to 38400 to see if
it made any difference; also tried putting it up to 115200.
i don't know what causes V32 instead of V34 sometimes
(and have only a hazy idea of what they mean anyway).
and i take it that the 31200 and 4800 mean transmit and receive rates.
it would be much more useful the other way round: faster receive.
but how to reverse it?
also, the modem frequently fails to connect at all; after 60 seconds
of telephone time i get this line:
08:42 "No response from modem - retrying"
i'm on a StrongArm RiscPC, RiscOS 4.00, internet module 5.04,
Antsuite 1.32; the modem reports "Acorn V.34 V1.993 ... rev 44BC".
any expertise extremely gratefully received.
Computer Shopper magazine UK, freelance
on a StrongArm xAcorn Risc Machine. British technik. no tax to Gate$.
immune from MMillenniu worries: online till 2248 AD
... kindly warn before sending fat files
... no Microsoft attachments (Word, Office, Excel, M$HTML, ...) please
keep those viri, worms and trojans to yourself
remove ".spamyourself" to reply -- unless you are a spammer
2. http and server-side "with event" Com object question
3. Does Digital TV affect modem speed?
4. Traversing XML DOM using JSP
5. Modem Speed Takes A Dive!
6. Problems with Symantic C++ 6.0
7. Internet Ready Packs and Low Priced U.S. Robotics Modems ( All Speeds)
8. myodbc and C++ problem
9. Modem connection speeds
10. Speed up you modem - maybe
11. ANT's ISDN modem driver SEGSpdDrgn for the HAGENUK SPEED DRAGON DataBox
12. Serial port speed with Vi modem
13. Speed of 20-30 clients accessing a 28.8K modem.....