SA 287MHz modification

Post by Wayne Baggule » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I would like a definitive answer, before embarking on a slightly risky
> modification to my SA board:
> 1) Is it definitely the two tracks on the back of the board, behind the
> dip switches?
> 2)How deep is the next layer of the board, i.e. how deep is it OK to
> cut?
> 3)Is it worth it for running games, MPEG3, Illusionist, and software
> like that?

> Any advice will be most aprecriated.

> BOB

Hang on, I'll just get my bargepole...

;)

--
        _      ,_   _      http://www.majic12.demon.co.uk

          ` _|

Uses for Bill Gates #2 - Mouse mat

SA 287MHz modification

Post by Rob Iron » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I would like a definitive answer, before embarking on a slightly risky
modification to my SA board:
1) Is it definitely the two tracks on the back of the board, behind the
dip switches?
2)How deep is the next layer of the board, i.e. how deep is it OK to
cut?
3)Is it worth it for running games, MPEG3, Illusionist, and software
like that?

Any advice will be most aprecriated.

BOB
--
---------------------------------------------|

               http://www.mor-dor.demon.co.uk|
---------------------------------------------|

SA 287MHz modification

Post by Ian Banniste » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I would like a definitive answer, before embarking on a slightly risky
> modification to my SA board:
<snip>
> Any advice will be most aprecriated.

 Leave the SA running at 200MHz. Even if you were to get the benefit of the
additional 87MHz which after all is less than 50%, the system bus will limit
the speed. Anything which pumps data around, like screen updating, will be
the worst candidates for any improvement.

--
 Ian Bannister          ____________________________
||---------------------/                            \

||---------------------\____________________________/
Tue,09 Sep 1997.19:48:08

SA 287MHz modification

Post by Furrbal » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I would like a definitive answer, before embarking on a slightly risky
> modification to my SA board:
> 1) Is it definitely the two tracks on the back of the board, behind the
> dip switches?

Yes. As a test, keep the two switches (the middle ones) 'on', removing the
links shouldn't make any difference.

Quote:> 2)How deep is the next layer of the board, i.e. how deep is it OK to
> cut?

I don't think there's a problem here, I did it the other night, just be
prepared to spend a bit of time and use a sharp knife - don't rush it.

Quote:> 3)Is it worth it for running games, MPEG3, Illusionist, and software
> like that?

There's an improvement in the responce of the machine for mp3, illusionist
runs a bit faster but not as much as one might expect (although I've only
tried a couple of scenes, the preprocess time is unnaffected, the render
stage is much quicker.) Games, well, are there any arc games out there
that actually use all the power in the 200MHz version? I've never seen
any.

Quote:> Any advice will be most aprecriated.

> BOB

No problem, I wouldn't advise doing this mod. without then putting a
heatsink / cooling system and probably a temperature readout, if only for
peace of mind, otherwise it's no warranty and a couple of hundred quid if
it goes wrong - bad.
Anyway, if you do decide to do it, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Tom.

---
Tom Oinn, Queens' College, Cambridge

---

1. 287MHz SA advice=HELP!

WHAT?? When I was a student we had to shop from Food Giant.. none of
that
fancy Tescos stuff there.. ;)

Give Neil and the crew more respect than that. I'd have tought Acorn
would
take sometime to complete Galileo from scratch and get to the same
functionality (GUI etc- not the problems!) as RISCOS is now. Meanwhile a
rival OS could be ported (although I'd doubt it would be targetted for
the
mobile phone market).

I wonder where they are taking the idea's from? MACH? AMOEBA? UNIX??
NT???
Hmm, what ever it is it will still be restricted by the
shoot-themselves-in-the-foot hardware design.

If I am proved wrong then fine I'll accept that but it doesn't smell of
roses
to me at the moment- have a look at Acorn's share price.

Nick.
--
* Nicholas Kitchener, Software Engineer, Logica UK
http://www.logica.com  *

2. Hexmines v1.2

3. SGI 320 - Digital cameras with movie mode

4. 636 Kdhrystone/s from a 287Mhz SA yeah!

5. Cells

6. Sound_Failed

7. !Turn your 200mhz SA into 287mhz for free!

8. modification of RiscPC motherboard

9. Getting a file's modification date

10. !Equasor Modifications by CC ?

11. Sick RiscPC after modification