Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by John M. Jakobsso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden I can't set Sassoon to be my
desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
Trinity or Hommerton etc from the !Boot Configure Font option with no
problem.  If I Set the desktop to Sassoon Primary for intance, it will
change correctly when I click on SET but after a hard break the desktop
reverts to the System font. Strangely when I click on the FontFS
application The Desktop immediately restores Sassoon.

Anybody any suggestions?

John

PS I have copied the !Boot font directory fron the from the latest
Acorn User CD just in case the original had become corrupted but this
made no difference.

--

Acorn RiscPc 34Mb 200Mhz StrongArm              http://www.jako.demon.co.uk
Director / Springfield School Ltd.              http://www.springfield.co.uk

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Nigel Parke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden I can't set Sassoon to be my
> desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
> Trinity or Hommerton etc from the !Boot Configure Font option with no
> problem.  If I Set the desktop to Sassoon Primary for intance, it will
> change correctly when I click on SET but after a hard break the desktop
> reverts to the System font. Strangely when I click on the FontFS
> application The Desktop immediately restores Sassoon.

> Anybody any suggestions?

> John

> PS I have copied the !Boot font directory fron the from the latest
> Acorn User CD just in case the original had become corrupted but this
> made no difference.

I have a handy utility on my website which sets the desktop font (called
!WimpFont).  It seems more reliable than using the configure application
for some reason...

http://welcome.to/nigels

Just follow the link to Acorn software.

Cheers.

Nigel

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by John M. Jakobsso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden I can't set Sassoon to be my
> > desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
> > Trinity or Hommerton etc from the !Boot Configure Font option with no
> > problem.  If I Set the desktop to Sassoon Primary for intance, it will
> > change correctly when I click on SET but after a hard break the desktop
> > reverts to the System font. Strangely when I click on the FontFS
> > application The Desktop immediately restores Sassoon.

> > Anybody any suggestions?

> > John

> > PS I have copied the !Boot font directory fron the from the latest
> > Acorn User CD just in case the original had become corrupted but this
> > made no difference.

> I have a handy utility on my website which sets the desktop font (called
> !WimpFont).  It seems more reliable than using the configure application
> for some reason...

> http://welcome.to/nigels

> Just follow the link to Acorn software.

> Cheers.

> Nigel

Thanks Nigel

I Downloaded !WimpFont, it changed the fonts beautifully but a hard
reset returned the desktop to System Font. The selected font is set as
*Show gives 'Wimp$Font : \FSassoon.Primary\ELatin1'

Several things temporarily restore the correct font. i.e. changing mode
or changing fontsize.

I think the system is only recognising the fonts stored in ROM on reset.

??? John

--

Acorn RiscPc 34Mb 200Mhz StrongArm              http://www.jako.demon.co.uk
Director / Springfield School Ltd.              http://www.springfield.co.uk

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Paul LeBea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
> Trinity or Hommerton etc

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the font directory
with Sassoon in it has not been seen by the time that
the wimp tries to set that font.

Homerton & Trinity will work because those fonts are in ROM,
and hence always available.

Do you have Sassoon in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts (or similar)?
or is it somewhere else?

Paul

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Alastair Franc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden I can't set Sassoon to be my
> > > desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
> > > Trinity or Hommerton etc from the !Boot Configure Font option with no
> > > problem.  If I Set the desktop to Sassoon Primary for intance, it will
> > > change correctly when I click on SET but after a hard break the desktop
> > > reverts to the System font. Strangely when I click on the FontFS
> > > application The Desktop immediately restores Sassoon.

> > > Anybody any suggestions?

> > > John

> > > PS I have copied the !Boot font directory fron the from the latest
> > > Acorn User CD just in case the original had become corrupted but this
> > > made no difference.

> > I have a handy utility on my website which sets the desktop font (called
> > !WimpFont).  It seems more reliable than using the configure application
> > for some reason...

> > http://welcome.to/nigels

> > Just follow the link to Acorn software.

> > Cheers.

> > Nigel

> Thanks Nigel

> I Downloaded !WimpFont, it changed the fonts beautifully but a hard
> reset returned the desktop to System Font. The selected font is set as
> *Show gives 'Wimp$Font : \FSassoon.Primary\ELatin1'

> Several things temporarily restore the correct font. i.e. changing mode
> or changing fontsize.

> I think the system is only recognising the fonts stored in ROM on reset.

> ??? John

My guess is that something that has happened in the boot setup has lost the
link to the disc based !fonts.

After booting, get to a command line (f12 - or shift f12 if you like) and
type

FONTCAT

If the only ones that you get are the rom based set then you have lost the
starting of the disc based fonts.

They are normally (IIRC) in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts

--
Alastair France

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by John M. Jakobsso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > desktop font that will survive a hard break. I seem to be able to set
> > Trinity or Hommerton etc

> If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the font directory
> with Sassoon in it has not been seen by the time that
> the wimp tries to set that font.

> Homerton & Trinity will work because those fonts are in ROM,
> and hence always available.

> Do you have Sassoon in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts (or similar)?
> or is it somewhere else?

> Paul

Quote:>My guess is that something that has happened in the boot setup has lost the
>link to the disc based !fonts.

>After booting, get to a command line (f12 - or shift f12 if you like) and
>type

>FONTCAT

>If the only ones that you get are the rom based set then you have lost the
>starting of the disc based fonts.

>They are normally (IIRC) in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts

                             ----------------------
Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after a hard
reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I discovered that
merely going to the command line and back restores Sassoon. - Weird or
what! - It must be something simple but ATM I'm stuck for ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions, if you can think of anything else I'd like
to hear it.

John

--

Post by Martin Longle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>                              ----------------------
> Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after a hard
> reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I discovered that
> merely going to the command line and back restores Sassoon. - Weird or
> what! - It must be something simple but ATM I'm stuck for ideas.
> Thanks for the suggestions, if you can think of anything else I'd like
> to hear it.

A bodge that might solve the problem.
Find a copy of 'Redraw' (it was on the !NewLook disc)
Stick it in !Boot.Utils and make you boot file run it as the last thing it
does.
Effectively it is the same as pressing f12 and return.

No idea why the problem occurs though - sorry

Martin Longley

--

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Martin Wuerthn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after a hard
>reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I discovered that
>merely going to the command line and back restores Sassoon. - Weird or
>what! - It must be something simple but ATM I'm stuck for ideas.

My guess is that your disc-based font directory is made known to the system
too late. A FontCat after the desktop has initialised is too late to check
for this problem.
  Probably the disc-based !Fonts directory only gets booted during the Desktop
boot sequence, i.e. *after* the Wimp has started up and unsuccessfully tried
to access the font. Try something like Fontinstall <FontDir> in the PreDesk
section of your boot sequence. However, I am not sure how this is supposed to
work in a standard boot setup (my machine is at home, so I cannot check; I do
use Sassoon as desktop font and I did not have to change anything to make this
work).

It is no surprise that going to the command line and back restores Sassoon,
as the Wimp tries to refind the font after a mode change.

Martin

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Matthias Seife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after a hard
> >reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I discovered that
> >merely going to the command line and back restores Sassoon. - Weird or
> >what! - It must be something simple but ATM I'm stuck for ideas.
> My guess is that your disc-based font directory is made known to the
> system too late. A FontCat after the desktop has initialised is too late
> to check for this problem.   Probably the disc-based !Fonts directory
> only gets booted during the Desktop boot sequence, i.e. *after* the Wimp
> has started up and unsuccessfully tried to access the font. Try
> something like Fontinstall <FontDir> in the PreDesk section of your boot
> sequence. However, I am not sure how this is supposed to work in a
> standard boot setup (my machine is at home, so I cannot check; I do use
> Sassoon as desktop font and I did not have to change anything to make
> this work).
> It is no surprise that going to the command line and back restores
> Sassoon, as the Wimp tries to refind the font after a mode change.
> Martin

Erm, another possibility:

If you want to use any outline font for the desktop you don't only have to
set the sytem variable Wimp$Font to the desired font but also have to
configure WimpFont as needed:

==> Help on keyword WimpFont
*Configure WimpFont sets the font to be used within the desktop for icons
and menus. 0 means use Wimp$* and 1 means use system font. 2-15 refer to a
ROM font.
*Configure WimpFont <font number>

Now there are some possibilities:

a) !Configure doesn't configure WimpFont right (for any reason)
b) !Configure can't write to the CMOS (e.g. because it is FSLocked)
c) !Configure writes the right value to the CMOS but the CMOS forgets this
   value again (e.g. because of low baterie)
d) !Configure writes the right value to the CMOS but the old value is
   written back on bootup (for any reason)

--

| | |   _, _|__|_ |)   '  _,   ,   |     130 Mbyte RAM, ~30 Gbyte HD
| | |  / |  |  |  |/\  | / |  / \  | ------------------------------------
| | |_/\/|_/|_/|_/|  |/|/\/|_/ \/  | Buy Acorn - 23 users can't be wrong!

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by Joyce Hasla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after
> >a hard reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I
> >discovered that merely going to the command line and back restores
> >Sassoon. - Weird or what! - It must be something simple but ATM
> >I'm stuck for ideas.
> My guess is that your disc-based font directory is made known to
> the system too late. A FontCat after the desktop has initialised is
> too late to check for this problem.

Where is the 'right place'? We have the old boot, and FontFS is in
Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks with the pinboard et al.

Joyce.

--
Joyce Haslam using Ant+Pluto on an Acorn RPC 700
Powerbase in Karos http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/dljhaslam/

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by David H Wil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Nope! !Fonts is in the right place and FONTCAT (immediately after a hard
> reset) shows Sassoon has been seen. Having tried that I discovered that
> merely going to the command line and back restores Sassoon. - Weird or
> what! - It must be something simple but ATM I'm stuck for ideas.

I had a problem like this at one time with one of the games programs -
!Clumps. When you came out of it my desktop font had been replaced by the
system font, but, like you, f12 followed by return put it right.

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   / Acorn Risc_PC
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines

Sassoon Font prejudice?

Post by John M. Jakobsso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

By Jove I think I've done it! <fingers crossed mode on>

By comparing my boot files one by one with the files on the AU 200 CD i
discovered that there is a file '!Boot.Choices.Tasks.Configure' which
had the line -
 'if "<Wimp$Font>" <> "" then/BootResources:Configure.FontChange'
missing it a mystery how this line disappeared but now restored all
seems well again on the font front.

I will never completely understand the deep and dark secrets of the
!Boot structure.

Many thanks to all those who took the trouble to write in with helpful
suggestions.

John

--

Post by Liam Gretto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> By comparing my boot files one by one with the files on the AU 200 CD i
> discovered that there is a file '!Boot.Choices.Tasks.Configure' which had
> the line -
>  'if "<Wimp$Font>" <> "" then/BootResources:Configure.FontChange'
> missing it a mystery how this line disappeared but now restored all
> seems well again on the font front.

I think this line will disappear if you change any of the screen config
options, such as backdrop or monitor type.

--

Physics and Astronomy Dept,                      phone +44 (0) 116 223 1039
Leicester University,                             fax  +44 (0) 116 252 2464

1. Sassoon font with a euro symbol

Where can I find a sassoon font with a euro symbol?

--

validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des
Jeux Mathmatiques et Logiques, TETRHEX, etc.

2. GO32 for OS/2?

3. Sassoon Primary font

4. Corporate Need 4 Assistance

5. Printing with PD fonts (was: PD fonts)

6. Linking VueScan to buttons on Scanner?

7. Auto Reset of Desktop Font to System font (RISC OS 3.6 and 3.7 only)

8. %@replace wanted, spaces trimmed

9. Font problem (TTF2f / Unicode fonts)

10. Font Manager 3.37 - adding EFF PD fonts

11. TTF fonts to Acorn font converter?

12. Fonts - comp.fonts FAQ

13. Font Numbers in Font Dir