RiscBSD - A question

Post by JAI. Holt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a full installation of RiscBSD (dowloaded ~11/1/96)and am having a
few problems.
I know enough UNIX to get by on a machine NOT administered by myself, and
even manage to impress first years occasionally - but I am NOT a UNIX
wizard...

and yes I've just checked the RiscBSD pages for answers - with no luck:

The problems are:

Adding a user to the system:
  I could edit the /etc/passwd to put a new user in -- but that is GROSS.
  The only occurence of adduser that 'find' comes up with (starting at
  the rootdir '/' ) is the manual page on adduser...

X will not start:
  I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't fully
  understand

PATHS:
  When booting in single user mode I want to set up various variables, ie
  path - where should the .login or .cshrc file be placed in order for it
  to be run automatically (given that your CSD on boot-up is '/')?

Perhaps we need yet another CFV - for Risc-based UNIX stuff to cover

Risc-IX
RiscBSD
ARM Linux

and what-ever other implementations there are floating around out there...

comp.sys.acorn.unix anyone?

Thanks in advance

James

RiscBSD - A question

Post by Daniel Pe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Adding a user to the system:
>   I could edit the /etc/passwd to put a new user in -- but that is GROSS.

Quiche eater !!!  :-)

Yes - that's the generic UNIX way of doing it.  Technically, you should
use vipw to edit the password file as this sets the appropriate locks.
(you do like VI don't you?)

Some UNIces come with nicer admin utility - RISC-IX has "useradmin" and
"groupadmin" utilities ('nicer' here is a relative term).  AFAIK these
are specific to RISC-IX...?  I'm sure someones done some nice X-based
ones that could be ported...

Quote:> PATHS:
>   When booting in single user mode I want to set up various variables, ie
>   path - where should the .login or .cshrc file be placed in order for it
>   to be run automatically (given that your CSD on boot-up is '/')?

I suspect there are 101 ways of doing this... didn't /.chsrc and
/.profile work?

I confess that I use RISC-IX and not RISCBSD - but they're both BSD
flavoured.

Daniel Pead                      | The Shell Centre for Maths. Education
Shell Centre for Maths Education | does not currently have any financial
Nottingham University            | or other ties with Shell Oil.

RiscBSD - A question

Post by A.R.Gun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I have a full installation of RiscBSD (dowloaded ~11/1/96)and am having a
: few problems.
: I know enough UNIX to get by on a machine NOT administered by myself, and
: even manage to impress first years occasionally - but I am NOT a UNIX
: wizard...

: and yes I've just checked the RiscBSD pages for answers - with no luck:

try the RiscBSD mailing list.

: The problems are:

: Adding a user to the system:
:   I could edit the /etc/passwd to put a new user in -- but that is GROSS.
:   The only occurence of adduser that 'find' comes up with (starting at
:   the rootdir '/' ) is the manual page on adduser...

use 'vipw', or find the adduser script by looking around a unix ftp site

: X will not start:
:   I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't fully
:   understand

either you're X setup isn't installed correctly, or you're not logged
in as root when you call 'startx'

: PATHS:
:   When booting in single user mode I want to set up various variables, ie
:   path - where should the .login or .cshrc file be placed in order for it
:   to be run automatically (given that your CSD on boot-up is '/')?

try one of the startup scripts, you can see which ones are run in single
user startup by watching what gets printed, then looking in /etc for the
correct script file.
You shouldn't need to be booting in single user mode anyway except for
maintenance - the default is multiple user (unless there are problems when
booting)

: Perhaps we need yet another CFV - for Risc-based UNIX stuff to cover

: Risc-IX
: RiscBSD
: ARM Linux

: and what-ever other implementations there are floating around out there...

: comp.sys.acorn.unix anyone?

not for the kind of questions you're asking - they should really be
on a dedicated unix group (ie a netbsd or linux one)

an acorn unix group would be useful for announcements etc.
(the stuff that is on the mailing list at the moment)

--
---Adam---
Real Programmers don't comment their code.  If it was hard to write,

RiscBSD - A question

Post by Robert Blac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a full installation of RiscBSD (dowloaded ~11/1/96)and am having a
> few problems.
> I know enough UNIX to get by on a machine NOT administered by myself, and
> even manage to impress first years occasionally - but I am NOT a UNIX
> wizard...

> and yes I've just checked the RiscBSD pages for answers - with no luck:

> The problems are:

> Adding a user to the system:
>   I could edit the /etc/passwd to put a new user in -- but that is GROSS.
>   The only occurence of adduser that 'find' comes up with (starting at
>   the rootdir '/' ) is the manual page on adduser...

Well, if you read the manual page it tells you how to add a user IIRC
(without using any adduser command).

Quote:> X will not start:
>   I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't fully
>   understand

You need to give precise messages on this. This is a subject for the
RiscBSD mailing list.

Quote:> PATHS:
>   When booting in single user mode I want to set up various variables, ie
>   path - where should the .login or .cshrc file be placed in order for it
>   to be run automatically (given that your CSD on boot-up is '/')?

> Perhaps we need yet another CFV - for Risc-based UNIX stuff to cover

> Risc-IX
> RiscBSD
> ARM Linux

RiscBSD and ARM Linux both have mailing lists for precisely this
purpose. See the c.s.a.a FAQ or the Web sites for details. Neither has
enough traffic or subscribers to justify a newsgroup yet. I would
imagine that there will be an RFD to convert the RiscBSD mailing list
into a newsgroup (possibly gated) some time this year.

Cheers

Rob

PS Further info:

RiscBSD web site: http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/riscbsd.html

message:

Currently the total number of subscribers is 255 and it is averaging
about 10 messages per day.

RiscBSD - A question

Post by Ian Griffith » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I know enough UNIX to get by on a machine NOT administered by
> myself, [...] but I am NOT a UNIX wizard...

> and yes I've just checked the RiscBSD pages for answers - with
> no luck:

> The problems are:

> Adding a user to the system:
>   I could edit the /etc/passwd to put a new user in -- but
>     that is GROSS.

That's what I've always done, but then I'm not often adding
users to systems I administer...  I've always asumed that
'adduser' on systems which have it is just a script of some
kind.  What it does will depend on how your local site is set
up, which will be determined either by you or by the
distribution you have.  You could try getting hold of adduser
from a standard linux distribution like slackware.

Quote:>   The only occurence of adduser that 'find' comes up with
> (starting at the rootdir '/' ) is the manual page on
> adduser...

This implies that either (a) you*ed up your installation or
(b) the distribution you have was pre-cocked up.  If there is a
manpage for the command, the command should be around
somewhere...

Quote:> X will not start:
>   I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't
>    fully understand

How are you attempting to start X?  Using 'X', 'xinit', 'startx'
or 'xdm'?  startx is the one to use if you are running a single
user system and want to run X occasionally.  xdm is for a system
where you will be using X all the time and want to log in
through X.

Consult the man pages for all of these (including X) and the
mapages for the relevant configuration files and it shouldn't
take you more than a day to understand it well enough to set it
up.  (This is the only way, IMO, to get it working on your own,
if the distribution comes pre-broken.  If it works as it comes,
it's still worth reading it all, so that you understand what's
going on.

Quote:

> PATHS:
>   When booting in single user mode I want to set up various
>   variables, ie path - where should the .login or .cshrc file
>   be placed in order for it to be run automatically

I've always put paths in /etc/login (note no '.') and it seems
to work.

Note that I'm answering this from generic Unix experience;  I've
never used RiscBSD.

--
Ian Griffiths

RiscBSD - A question

Post by Wiker, Raymo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >   The only occurence of adduser that 'find' comes up with
> > (starting at the rootdir '/' ) is the manual page on
> > adduser...

> This implies that either (a) you*ed up your installation or
> (b) the distribution you have was pre-cocked up.  If there is a
> manpage for the command, the command should be around
> somewhere...

        Not so! The adduser manpage describes the actions you have to
take to set up a new user account (as opposed to "the command you run
to...") Linux *does* have an adduser script, FreeBSD may have one and
NetBSD does not. RiscBSD is a version of NetBSD, AFAIK, so...

Quote:> > X will not start:
> >   I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't
> >    fully understand
> How are you attempting to start X?  Using 'X', 'xinit', 'startx'
> or 'xdm'?  startx is the one to use if you are running a single
> user system and want to run X occasionally.  xdm is for a system
> where you will be using X all the time and want to log in
> through X.

        Assuming that this is setup in a similar way to
FreeBSD/NetBSD-386, it should be "startx". If your X configuration
file (/usr/X11R6/lib/XConfig under FreeBSD/NetBSD-386, I think) is
faulty, you may see some fairly unhelpful error messages. Some of
these may come from xinit, in which case they may well start with
"xinit: ..."

Quote:> Consult the man pages for all of these (including X) and the
> mapages for the relevant configuration files and it shouldn't
> take you more than a day to understand it well enough to set it
> up.  (This is the only way, IMO, to get it working on your own,
> if the distribution comes pre-broken.  If it works as it comes,
> it's still worth reading it all, so that you understand what's
> going on.

        Good advice, but there may also be an X11-related FAQ which
may be more immediately helpful.

Quote:> > PATHS:
> >   When booting in single user mode I want to set up various
> >   variables, ie path - where should the .login or .cshrc file
> >   be placed in order for it to be run automatically

        Under / for single-user, and /root for multi-user (for
NetBSD-pc532, at least.)

Quote:> I've always put paths in /etc/login (note no '.') and it seems
> to work.

        That would be the global setup file for .cshrc. It is probably
not the right file, unless you think "normal" users should use the
system-related commands (under /sbin and /usr/sbin).

Quote:> Note that I'm answering this from generic Unix experience;  I've
> never used RiscBSD.

        ... and my experience comes from NetBSD-pc532, currently
running on pc532s all over the world! (Well, maybe about 20 of them ;-)

        //Raymond.
--

---

Boks 44, 4817 HIS, NORWAY / Tel +47 370 51482

RiscBSD - A question

Post by Leslie Wiggi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>> X will not start:
>>   I get strange errors regarding using 'xinit' which I don't
>>    fully understand

Sounds like a similar problem I had when I first downloaded the beta.

The problem is that the beta was meant to be an partial upgrade to the
alpha2 version.  What you will need to do is download Xarm-14.gz or
Xarm-15.gz, unzip it and create a symbolic link from xinit to your chosen
X server using the 'ln' command.

Xarm-14 and Xarm-15 can be found in the pub/Riscos/beta/upgrades directory.
I have downloaded Xarm-15 which is the latest version of the X server but
hav'nt installed it as my X server yet. Xarm-14 works fine.

hope this is helpful.

Leslie

1. RiscBSD-Questions

Hi there,
I've got two questions about RiscBSD-Installation :
1. How do I exactly install a new Kernel(4163) into /netbsd ?
Copy it from floppy into /netbsd, o.k. but how ?

2. Why doesn't my Install-program work/exist anymore ? I have the
basic-packets onto the HD and extracted/installed them. But after a
reboot there's no more /usr/local/sbin/inst...
Should I have Patch1 or Configure installed ? ( I didn't so far)

Any Ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Jan-Uwe

2. Any ASE Lisp routines?

3. RiscBSD Question

4. PIX routing limitations?

5. Questions, questions, questions...

6. Ross Processor Upgrades for SPARC 10

7. Question about a question

8. SNMPUtilG

9. RiscBSD/FreeBSD

10. RiscBSD: X is dissapointingly slow on SA.

11. RiscBSD for EBSA285

12. RiscBSD and big disks.