CD ROM drive speeds

Post by Rick Hudso » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My (IDE) 40x CD ROM drive has a useful front panel feature which allows the
drive speed to be stepped down to 32x, 24x or 8x which I find useful
sometimes when playing audio files off it (eg MP3s and Waves) to stop it
sounding like a jet engine (Ok, maybe not quite!) when only a low read speed
is required. I don't suppose there's anything in the CD ROM control protocol
that would allow control over this from software? Even if it did I'd imagine
that it might be tricky to get at without support from CDFS or something. :-\

--

                                         http://www.actrix.gen.nz/users/rick/

CD ROM drive speeds

Post by Andrew Sellor » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My (IDE) 40x CD ROM drive has a useful front panel feature which allows the
> drive speed to be stepped down to 32x, 24x or 8x which I find useful
> sometimes when playing audio files off it (eg MP3s and Waves) to stop it
> sounding like a jet engine (Ok, maybe not quite!) when only a low read speed
> is required. I don't suppose there's anything in the CD ROM control protocol
> that would allow control over this from software? Even if it did I'd imagine
> that it might be tricky to get at without support from CDFS or something. :-\

The CDSpeed command is meant to control the spin speed of the CD ROM drive.

==> Help on keyword CDSpeed
*CDSpeed displays or sets the CD-ROM read speed.
Syntax: *CDSpeed [drive] [speed]

( cdfs:cdspeed [drive] [speed] if the current FS is not CDFS ).

I guess it's up to the driver whether it's supported though as my SCSI CD ROM
driver does not accept anything other than 0 as the speed setting.

Andrew Sellors

CD ROM drive speeds

Post by Rick Hudso » Sun, 30 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> My (IDE) 40x CD ROM drive has a useful front panel feature which allows
>> the drive speed to be stepped down to 32x, 24x or 8x which I find useful
>> sometimes when playing audio files off it (eg MP3s and Waves) to stop it
>> sounding like a jet engine (Ok, maybe not quite!) when only a low read
>> speed is required. I don't suppose there's anything in the CD ROM control
>> protocol that would allow control over this from software? Even if it did
>> I'd imagine that it might be tricky to get at without support from CDFS or
>> something. :-\

> The CDSpeed command is meant to control the spin speed of the CD ROM drive.

So it does; I hate it when there turns out to be a reasonably obvious command
or SWI that I simply overlooked!

Quote:> ==> Help on keyword CDSpeed *CDSpeed displays or sets the CD-ROM read
> speed. Syntax: *CDSpeed [drive] [speed]

> ( cdfs:cdspeed [drive] [speed] if the current FS is not CDFS ).

> I guess it's up to the driver whether it's supported though as my SCSI CD
> ROM driver does not accept anything other than 0 as the speed setting.

Interestingly I can read the speed which shows 40, 32, 24 or 8 if I fiddle
things on the front panel but attempts to set it with the command don't do
anything. :-( I guess this is because I'm using the generic ATAPI driver in
the RISC OS 4 ROM which doesn't support all things which dedicated drivers
might well do.

--

Post by micm » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My (IDE) 40x CD ROM drive has a useful front panel feature which allows the
> drive speed to be stepped down to 32x, 24x or 8x which I find useful
> sometimes when playing audio files off it (eg MP3s and Waves) to stop it
> sounding like a jet engine (Ok, maybe not quite!) when only a low read speed
> is required. I don't suppose there's anything in the CD ROM control protocol
> that would allow control over this from software? Even if it did I'd imagine
> that it might be tricky to get at without support from CDFS or something. :-\

You can certainly do this on Windows, though as far as I remember you only get
the option of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 24 or Max speed.

With SCSI you can prolly just send the required SCSI command to the drive, dunno
about IDE.  Windows just does it all through the ASPI layer.

--
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect Hungry.http://www.actrix.gen.nz/users/rick/

1. CD ROM Drive Speed

Help!

I bought a RiscPC700 from Davyn computers a few months ago which included a
six speed CD ROM drive.

In recent editions of Acorn User Mike Cook has metioned that his quad speed
drive was only going at single or double speed. He said he'd contacted the
suppliers who had supplied a patch which set the speed to always be 4.

I had always thought our drive was a bit slow for a six speed drive and so,
after reading this, I checked the speed the drive was set to.

*CDFS
*CDSpeed 0
Current speed setting is 1

My six speed CD ROM drive seemed to be set of single speed! I've tried
changing this using *CDSpeed 0 6 but the speed is always 1.

Transfering files from the CD to hard disk is the same speed or slower than
tranfering from a floppy disk. Are 6x drives this speed or is my drive going
painfully slow?

At the Acorn World show I viewed a CD ROM presentation where a page of
thumbnail images were loaded onto screen. This happened straight away.
When I took the CD ROM home and used it on my now StrongARM powered RiscPC
the CD ROM drive 'chugged' away loading each of the images one by one.

What should I do about this speed problem? Are the drivers set up
incorrectly? Do I need to do something different to set the CD speed?

I don't think this is a problem with my StrongARM upgrade although I did not
install any CDFS patches after upgrading, did I need to?

I have noticed the ~CDReinit file in my Boot Tasks directory. Could this be
the root to my problem? It has CDFSSoftATAPI surrounded by control
characters when I view it in !Zap. If anybody has a 6 speed CD ROM using
this driver could they email me their ~CDReinit file so I can test that?

I've checked the drive and it is the 6x Goldstar that I paid for. Has
anybody had problems with these?

If a patch is needed, as with Mike Cook's problem, please would somebody
send it by email. I don't want to send my whole computer back if this is
just a driver problem.

Thanks in advance, Robert.

--
  _                  ___
 |_) _ |_  _ ._ _|_   | o_|_ ._ _  _.._   Games coder for ARM'd & Dangerous
 | \(_)|_)(/_|   |_   | | |_ | | |(_|| |   -------------------------------

2. Problems with Router-Router VPN setup

3. CD-ROM Drive Speed

4. How bold the process name string ?

5. CD-ROM drive compatibility, was CD-ROM in A7000 help

6. FP2000 opens WEB with newpage

7. 12 Speed CD-ROM drive available

8. Export files

9. Eesox 12 speed CD-ROM Drive - ATAPI

10. YES Quad speed IDE drives/Connecting CD-ROM audio to internal speaker of RISCPC

11. Quad speed SCSI CD rom drive

12. Using NEC 4X4c 4 CD changer CD-ROM drives with Risc PC.