HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Andrew Rawnsl » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

HTML editor, I enclose the public / press release note.

Version 1.20 includes better support for UNIX filenames and extensions,
and minor operation changes in response to user feedback. It has been
sent to all purchasers free of charge (about 2 weeks ago!).

We are still working on the demo version, but getting the manual and
packaging finished is top priority at the moment.

Anyway...

Current Status
==============

HTMLEdit is now officially available, although the manual and
packaging are still in production.

As a result, all copies will be dispatched by e-mail, with
suitable documentation.  The full, packaged release will follow
by post.

Pricing
=======

Due to the extensive nature of HTMLEdit's facilities, and onging
development, HTMLEdit has become a commercial project.  This allows
us to offer technical support for users, and keep the system a*
of future developments.

   Single User License:   30-00
   Site License:          100-00

   Postage & Packing:     UK:  Free
                          Outside Europe:  Please at 5.00

   There is no VAT on HTMLEdit

   Dealer prices are available on request.

Payment is by cheque only, please, and non-UK orders should make
sure that a sterling cheque is sent, payable on a London bank.

We plan to add credit card facilities within a month. (Primarily
for overseas enquiries).

Cheques should be made payable to:

         R-Comp

Our address is:    R-Comp
                   22 Robert Moffat
                   High Legh
                   Knutsford
                   Cheshire
                   WA16 6PS
                   England

         Fax:    (+44) 1925 757377

PLEASE QUOTE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS SO WE CAN SEND OUT YOUR COPY
IMMEDIATELY

Contacting Us
=============

You can contact R-Comp on the address and phone number given
above, but HTMLEdit enquiries are best sent via email to:

General enquiries should be sent to:

Demo Version Status
===================

At present we do not have a demo version available, as we are
not in favour of "crippleware" save-disabled versions.  Any
demo produced would be fully functional, but would lack some of
the more advanced features.  If you missed the feature list the
first time, it is included below.

If you still need a demo, (remember the package only costs 30
so it won't make a hole in your pocket!), contact us, and we will
keep you informed of developments.  However, a demo is unlikely
to appear for at least two months.

Features
========
Automatic or manual HTML tag insertion

Future-proofed - if an HTML feature is not available
via the toolbox, you can enter it yourself

HTML 2.0 compliant

All styles and effects are available in two mouse clicks or less!

Netscape extensions supported, where appropriate

Automatic creation of bare HTML document (header etc.)
with user-definable signature, if required

Full support for images and forms

Full foreign language support via a unique Characters Toolbox.
For example:  <, > and (C) symbols, as well as all accented characters

View and edit the bare HTML document and use the automatic
preview tool for WYSIWYG display of the document in any Web Browser,
or use the one supplied

HTML tags can be generated in upper or lower case, with optional
automatic insertion of newlines for improved legibility

Uses the familiar !Edit menu structure and shortcuts for ease of
use.  F4 brings search and replace, F3 Save, F5 Goto line, F8 Undo etc.

User definable undo buffer - the more memory you allocate,
the further back you can go

Strip HTML Tags:  extract the textual information directly from a
                  document for further processing

Automatic Insertion/Removal of [0d] carriage returns for use on PC
or UNIX web servers

Requires only 256K of RAM, so will work on a 1Mb machine easily!

Requires Risc OS 3.1 or later

Designed by a professional Web Authoring company

Developed by a team with over 15 man-years of Acorn experience

Users are encouraged to send in information of any further HTML
extensions they require, for inclusion in future versions

Web Site
========

It is intended to run an HTMLEdit Web Site (naturally this would be
created in HTMLEdit) to provide announcements of new versions, related
product, demos etc.  Any demo version produced will in all likelihood
be downloadable from this site.

The URL will be announced when available.

--
Andrew Rawnsley      ISV Registered Developer
R-Comp               * Computer Journalist

HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Kevin F. Qui » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    There is no VAT on HTMLEdit

Are you sure - software *is* subject to VAT, at 17.5%, as far as I know.

You don't want to be caught with a huge unexpected VAT bill - if
it *is* subject to 17.5% VAT, you have to pay the VAT whether you
charged your customers or not.  Which could be painful...

--
Kevin F. Quinn           * "No-one ever made any money out of good

Compu$erve: 100025,1525  *                               Blackadder III

HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Gareth Rowlan » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Regarding VAT on HTML Edit

Quote:> Are you sure - software *is* subject to VAT, at 17.5%, as far as I know.

The trader needs to be registered for VAT to charge VAT.  If their turnover
is less than a certain figure, then generally speaking, they do not need to
be VAT registered.

( Anyone who wishes to be sure about this aspect should take qualified legal
  advice)

Cheers,

Gareth.

HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Andrew Rawnsl » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> You don't want to be caught with a huge unexpected VAT bill - if
> it *is* subject to 17.5% VAT, you have to pay the VAT whether you
> charged your customers or not.  Which could be painful...

Since we're not VAT registered, and don't plan on making too many millions
out of HTMLEdit, we don't charge VAT on HTMLEdit.  On the downside, we can't
claim VAT back on printing etc.

--
Andrew Rawnsley      ISV Registered Developer
R-Comp               * Computer Journalist
... I believe I will take this opportunity to remove my ears.

HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Simon Bry » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Pricing

[snip]

Quote:> Payment is by cheque only, please, and non-UK orders should make
> sure that a sterling cheque is sent, payable on a London bank.

       By the time we do this we could actually end up paying double!

Quote:

> We plan to add credit card facilities within a month. (Primarily
> for overseas enquiries).

  Yeah, please advise as soon as this is available.

--
Simon Bryan

HTMLEdit 1.20

Post by Richard Barl » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> There is no VAT on HTMLEdit
> Are you sure - software *is* subject to VAT, at 17.5%, as far as I know.
> You don't want to be caught with a huge unexpected VAT bill - if it *is*
> subject to 17.5% VAT, you have to pay the VAT whether you charged your
> customers or not.  Which could be painful...

Your turnover has to be 40000ukp+ before having to pay VAT.  You'd have to

Richard Barlow         -        | New Media Solutions Ltd.

1. XChars 1.20 released

XChars 1.20 is avilable from:
  http://www.mw-software.com/software/xchars/xchars.html

This new version finally fixes the irritating "flickering zoom window"
bug and, most notably, introduces support for font encodings. So, you
can finally see how the ROM fonts look like in Latin2, Latin3, etc.
encoding and you can see how many funny accented characters you have
missed so far.

XChars is a FreeWare advanced character picker to replace the standard
Chars application that comes with RISC OS. An earlier version of XChars
features as the new Chars application that comes with RISC OS Select.
XChars 1.20 is 32-bit compatible and requires the 32-bit SharedCLib.

XChars has many advanced features:
- multiple windows with independent settings
- displays outline fonts at arbitrary sizes
- support for different encodings
- font aspect, line and character spacing control
- configurable default settings
- character zoom window at configurable size (during the duration of the
  mouse button press only or as a persistent window)
- configurable character insertion hot key
- option to install an application icon on the icon bar
- "hotlist": the state of all options (font, font size, line spacing etc.)
  of a window can be saved and restored later from the hotlist menu
- automatic display of character code under the pointer (decimal or hex)

Martin

2. No Admin directory.

3. WinIcon 1.20 released

4. Crashing Clipboard