Help with ExtraBar and sprites

Post by New » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:36:49

> Could someone help me with a problem with !ExtraBar please?
> I cannot get the spites to appear on the bar unless the applications on
> the bar are seen first. I have saved the sprites from the bar spritesave
> routine but I cannot work out where to put the saved sprites so that
> ExtraBar can see them nor can I work out where to put the *Iconsprites
> command to call the sprites.
> I have emailed the author but I have not yet had a reply. He released the
> last version a few years back and I have only recently found the latest
> version which has had a major change re sprite handling from the earlier
> version that I had.

I have an app in Apps called !Sprites which loads (IconSprites) a file with
custom sprites.

This is to give me some consistency of sprites, but if you put the sprites
of the apps in a spritefile, could help with your problem.

E-mail observing cautions.

John

--
John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject

Post by Steve Fryat » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:12:37

> > I have an app in Apps called !Sprites which loads (IconSprites) a file
> > with custom sprites.

> > This is to give me some consistency of sprites, but if you put the
> > sprites of the apps in a spritefile, could help with your problem.

> Thanks, the sprite save routine puts the sprites into a file but it is
> knowing where to put the file that is the problem. ExtraBar is a routine
> in its own right and when you format a "bar" and save it the saved "bar"
> is another routine which you click on to load that "bar". So I don't
> know where to put the sprite file or the *Iconsprites command to get the
> "bar" to display the sprites. The latest ExtraBar has handed sprite
> handling back to the OS and the sprites will be displayed if the
> routines on the "bar" have been seen first. However, the author has
> allowed sprites to be displayed as soon as the "bar" is loaded but his
> explaination as how to do it is rather vague.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is...  You can put the sprites
wherever you want, and *IconSprites them.

If you really don't have anywhere better to put them, create a dummy
application (ie. a directory whose name starts with !), and shift
double-click to open it.  Put the sprites file in there (you may want to
call it !Sprites).  Create a file in a text editor containing the single
line

 IconSprites <Obey$Dir>.!Sprites

and save it in the dummy app as !Run, with the type Obey.  Optionally,
copy this file again as !Boot.

Now put this app somewhere on your hard disc, and add it to the Run (or
Look At, if you added the optional !Boot file) section of Configure/Boot.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Help with ExtraBar and sprites

Post by New » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:42:07

Quote:> create a dummy application (ie. a directory whose name starts with !

 [Snip]

Exactly what I suggested in less detail in my posting

app !Sprites does.

It allows me to auto-load any replacement/additional sprites I want, and,
as it's in Apps, it gets auto-booted. Therefore my IconSprites command is
in a !Boot file, not a !Run.

However, the same effect could be achieved by putting all the apps used
with ExtraBar on the Boot:>Boot sequence>Look at list.

That might be 'less technical' for the OP.

John

--

Post by new » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:51:01

> > create a dummy application (ie. a directory whose name starts with !

>  [Snip]

> Exactly what I suggested in less detail in my posting

> app !Sprites does.

> It allows me to auto-load any replacement/additional sprites I want, and,
> as it's in Apps, it gets auto-booted. Therefore my IconSprites command is
> in a !Boot file, not a !Run.

> However, the same effect could be achieved by putting all the apps used
> with ExtraBar on the Boot:>Boot sequence>Look at list.

> That might be 'less technical' for the OP.

First of all, if you want a sprites file to be automatically iconsprited,
just put it into the Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk directory (or whereever ROL
have decided to put that).

Secondly, isn't the best answer here to simply make sure that the filer
boots the required applications before ExtraBar is started? Just use the
Configure->Boot->Look at tool to add the applications.

It seems a bit odd to start grabbing icon sprites out of applications,
putting them into sprite files and creating dummy applications containing
them. You're making an awful lot of work for yourself.

Steve

--

Note: All opinions expressed herein are my own.

1. ExtraBar 0.31 released

ExtraBar version 0.31 is now available.

The main changes between 0.31 and 0.28 are;

   Added Web (WP) option so that you can create user menus of frequently
    used Web pages.
   Added key press (Shift F11) to toggle toolbar position.
   Added key press (Ctrl F11) to hide/show toolbar.
   Added option to clear bar on loading of a file.
   Added minium size for buttons.

As well as the normal bug fixes and improvements.

It will be available from my website in a couple of days, depending on
Demon and there blasted web cache :(

The upgrade archive for versions of ExtraBar above 0.25 is at;
  http://www.rylands.demon.co.uk/software/extrabar/u026.zip

If you have version 0.21 (comp.binaries.acorn release) you will need
to download the full version at;
  http://www.rylands.demon.co.uk/software/extrabar/ex031.zip

There are also new and improved examples available at;
  http://www.rylands.demon.co.uk/software/extrabar/examp.zip

                ----------------------------------

Extrabar is one of those desktop utilies that you will either hate or
decide you can't live life with out it. It has been designed to ease the
use of the desktop. It does this by creating a new tool bar for the
desktop, which can have buttons created on it.

These buttons can do a number of things;

   Opening a 'Filer_Menu' which shows the contents of a directory and
    leads to it's sub-directories.
   'Insert_text' to enter frequently used text in to an application.
   'Emulate_Key' presses for use with applications that do not have
    tool bars.
   Issue any star command.

and it also features;

   Easy save. Just drag a file from the Save As window of any application
    on to the ExtraBar and it will get saved in to a central directory just
    like with a normal directory.

--

WWW   : http://www.rylands.demon.co.uk/

Atlanta : Advanced ShareWare font mangaer.
Featuring folding directories, typeface control, typeface renaming.

(See website for more details or Email about beta release)

does not constitute endorsement by any part of the Acorn Group.

2. coinstaller question????????????????

3. Internet, FreeDial and ExtraBar - a way of emulating Acornet

4. The Client-Server Computing Page?

5. newlook sprites...oldlook sprites ;)

6. Rev 5 A500

7. How do you plot a sprite on a sprite?

8. New to .Net

9. Using sprites - help!

10. Help with sprite plotting.

11. Help: Sprite memory requirement

12. help printing Sprites using Archway?

13. Help - How do you print out sprites?