TopModel2 - keeping it alive.

Post by John Nola » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:23:45

ello All,

  About 2 years ago I posted here and then about January this year. Please
forgive me posting again, but it is just so that I might catch some
interested people (if they are anything like me) who may have missed it
before. This is about trying to keep TopModel2 alive, for it is
(potentially) such an excellent program.

  I say "(potentially)" because for me there remains one important aspect
that I have not been able to crack, "Textures". I can find no obvious reason
for this and am always willing to blame my own incompetence, especially if
the answer is staring me in the face ! If I could crack this problem, I
would use TopModel a great deal. "Textures" are about replacing the plain
colour (say) of a surface with something more complex using a sprite or
another suitable RISCOS bit map image. I wish to do something about a garden
design, and a lawn looks better with a "grassy" look than the plain green of
a ping pong table.

  That earlier posting produced a very useful response from about 3 people.
One sent me a TopModel2 manual ( I had had to return my borrowed one to
Cerilica). Another said, Yes, he would be interested if he could get
TopModel to work ! A third is interested in helping me to crack my problem
when he has the time and if it is crackable, and not some bug.

  Since then I did a web search some time ago. I found a site where they
were planning to do something about it. But they were a bit vague. Perhaps,
I must try and look them up.

   One of the problems re. "Textures" is that I can find no example using
them. If any of you have such an application, I would be happy to receive it
by email. It might be about 100k. I can then study the application to see
what settings it has.

   I have no doubt that one of the things that will keep RISCOS alive is
having flagship applications in all the main areas. Of course, I am biassed,
but I think that 3D modelling is one of them.

  I have progressed some little way with TopModel2. I am quite willing to
try to help those who are behind me, or who are having problems that I have
not had, or who might like to dip their toes in.

  As I ended my last email, "If any of you, reading this, are interested in
reforming a TopModel group, please email me, and offer any ideas that may be
of help."

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
    _                     _________________________________________

TopModel2 - keeping it alive.

Post by John Nola » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:58:57

>  This is about trying to keep TopModel2 alive, for it is
> (potentially) such an excellent program.

>   I say "(potentially)" because for me there remains one important aspect
> that I have not been able to crack, "Textures". I can find no obvious
> reason
> for this and am always willing to blame my own incompetence, especially if
> the answer is staring me in the face ! If I could crack this problem, I
> would use TopModel a great deal.

I just thought I should tell you that I THINK that I have cracked the
"Textures" problem. It was right beneath my nose !!

I was trying to work out why different sorts of rendering seemed to work in
ways in which there were some differences that were not obvious.

I looked up Phong and it simply referred me to p.88 of the Manual. This is
in a section called "View mode".

Reading this through 3 more modes that I just hadn't really noticed,
   Radiosity
   Textures
   Transparency

Under Textures and Transparency it said you could switch them on/off.

There was nothing about this on p.29 where Textures are first mentioned.

With bated breath, in an appropriate TopModel2 application I switched
Textures on - IT WORKED !!  :-))

If any of you would like me to keep you up to date on my progress on this
NG, please let me know. Alternatively, since there are not many of you, it
might be better for me to email you with an open i.e. Cc: list.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks to all of you who have made contributions.

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
    _                     _________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

TopModel2 - keeping it alive.

Post by druc » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:56:38

Quote:> I just thought I should tell you that I THINK that I have cracked the
> "Textures" problem. It was right beneath my nose !!

[snip]

Quote:> Under Textures and Transparency it said you could switch them on/off.

Damn forgot that one was there - sorry!

---druck

TopModel2 - keeping it alive.

Post by Vince » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:01:55

Quote:> If any of you would like me to keep you up to date on my
> progress on this NG, please let me know. Alternatively, since
> there are not many of you, it might be better for me to email
> you with an open i.e. Cc: list.

If you think there's enough interest, I'll be happy to host a
TopModel mailing list for you. See http://www.riscository.com
(Only a simple page there ATM until I have more time).

--
VinceH - http://www.softrock.co.uk/info/vinceh.html

TopModel2 - keeping it alive.

Post by John Nola » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 02:41:56

> > If any of you would like me to keep you up to date on my
> > progress on this NG, please let me know. Alternatively, since
> > there are not many of you, it might be better for me to email
> > you with an open i.e. Cc: list.

> If you think there's enough interest, I'll be happy to host a
> TopModel mailing list for you. See http://www.riscository.com
> (Only a simple page there ATM until I have more time).

Hi Vince,
That is a very kind thought. However, there are not too many of us, about 6
at present. So it may not be worth your while right now.

However, if we give it more publicity, interest might be re-awakened. Also
one person emailed me with the website of XAT, some folk in NL who have
acquired the rights. They might be encouraged to get cracking if they see
growing interest. It's a bit chicken and egg.

I would think that it might be best to stay here until real interest builds.

I might see if Paul Vigay resurrect argonet.acorn. binaries or something
similar. We Topmodel enthusiasts, could then "publish" results for people to
use and put in their TopModel examples, or whatever.

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
    _                     _________________________________________

Post by J Peache » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 04:58:48

>> > If any of you would like me to keep you up to date on my
>> > progress on this NG, please let me know. Alternatively, since
>> > there are not many of you, it might be better for me to email
>> > you with an open i.e. Cc: list.

>> If you think there's enough interest, I'll be happy to host a
>> TopModel mailing list for you. See http://www.riscository.com
>> (Only a simple page there ATM until I have more time).

> Hi Vince,
> That is a very kind thought. However, there are not too many of us, about 6
> at present. So it may not be worth your while right now.

> However, if we give it more publicity, interest might be re-awakened. Also
> one person emailed me with the website of XAT, some folk in NL who have
> acquired the rights. They might be encouraged to get cracking if they see
> growing interest. It's a bit chicken and egg.

I spoke to XAT recently on another matter, and asked them what was
happening with Topmodel. Unfortunately they do not seem to own the
rights, which appear to still be with Cerillica. :(

Quote:

> I would think that it might be best to stay here until real interest builds.

> I might see if Paul Vigay resurrect argonet.acorn. binaries or something
> similar. We Topmodel enthusiasts, could then "publish" results for people to
> use and put in their TopModel examples, or whatever.

I don't see the point of a.a.binaries in this day and age of universal
web pages. Much better to buy a cheap domain, and post images and
resource files on that for people to download.

Regards
John

                       |   RISC OS British Technology

_______________________|   http://www.jpeachey.co.uk

1. Keeping the Using Acorns for Internet Access FAQ alive, plan #2

OK; having had no response to my first plan, and since I really do not
want to let the FAQ die without trace, I have come up with a second
cunning plan, which may prove more workable.

The plan is that I will keep overall control of the FAQ, but
elicit help from other people for various sections.  There's no
money available, of course, but perhaps a little glory (shouldn't
that be notoriety?  Ed. :) ).

In particular, there's nothing (or very little) in the FAQ about
Tom's FreeNet, Doggysoft's Termite, ANT's Suite, and Acorn's latest
offerings.

Similarly, with the newsreaders and WWW sections, it'd be nice to
have someone for each package to write hints-and-help sections as
appropriate.  I just don't have the time to use all of them
properly.

Basically, if you see any section you feel you could take over, or
if you can think of a section that is not already present that you

and I'll talk it over with you in more detail.

Thanks for your time,
Kev.

--
All comments, suggestions etc. relating to the "Using Acorns on the

Kevin F. Quinn

A posting in c.s.a.a does not constitute endorsement by Acorn Computers Ltd.

2. Domain not known....

3. Keeping the RISC OS spirit alive in Wakefield

4. RPG SQL Precompiler Feedback

5. How not to keep the Acorn market alive

6. Close MDI child window?

7. Keeping the Using Acorns for Internet Access FAQ alive, plan #2

8. Info about RISC architecture

9. It`s "RiscOS" :-)

10. Topmodel2 (again)

11. Wanted: Dead or Alive - Nebulous manual/artwork

12. is acorn user still alive ?