Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Chris Evan » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:45:41



Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?

I have driven there twice but do find my map and the signposting confusing
and last time ended up going through the Kennedy Tunnel at Antwerp which
seems very out of the way.

Based on my first trip?there 6 years ago I think my best route is:

from Calais
A18/E40? towards Ostend
A10/E40 towards Gent, just past Gent
A14 to Antwerpen (french: Anvers),

A1/E19 to Breda (kennedy tunnel appears very out of the way)

becomes A16 (in Netherlands)
South of Breda direction Tilburg (A58),

Carry on east to tilberg or north on E311?

If east to tilberg

?/E?? to Hertogenbosh

A2/E25 to Nieuwegein(on the map as Nijmegan?)

I have a map but is is 1 : 1 000 000 as seem to be all the other maps I
could see in town!

Can anyone recommend a map web site that covers Antwerp to Nieuwegein

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D                'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222             Fax: 01903 523679

78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex,     BN11 2EN
The most beautiful thing anyone can wear, is a smile!

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Peter Naull » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:55:10



> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?

> I have driven there twice but do find my map and the signposting confusing
> and last time ended up going through the Kennedy Tunnel at Antwerp which
> seems very out of the way.

> Based on my first trip there 6 years ago I think my best route is:

> from Calais
> A18/E40? towards Ostend
> A10/E40 towards Gent, just past Gent
> A14 to Antwerpen (french: Anvers),

> A1/E19 to Breda (kennedy tunnel appears very out of the way)

In no way am I an expert on roads in .fr/.be/.nl, however
it doesn't look really that out of the way, although I know
the traffic in Antwerp isn't much fun:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=calais,+france&daddr=Nieu...

You might try some of the other route planners too.

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Grahame Paris » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 02:06:12




> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?

Are you arriving at the ferry terminal or the Channel Tunnel?  I can do
you a route with my GPS software if you let me know.

Cheers,
Grahame.

--
Grahame Parish
Aylesbury, Bucks. HP19 (UK)
maillistDOTparishATmillersHYPHENwayDOTnet

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by John Tytga » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 02:19:48




>> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?

>> I have driven there twice but do find my map and the signposting
>> confusing
>> and last time ended up going through the Kennedy Tunnel at Antwerp which
>> seems very out of the way.

No it isn't.

Quote:>> Based on my first trip there 6 years ago I think my best route is:

>> from Calais
>> A18/E40? towards Ostend
>> A10/E40 towards Gent, just past Gent
>> A14 to Antwerpen (french: Anvers),

>> A1/E19 to Breda (kennedy tunnel appears very out of the way)

> In no way am I an expert on roads in .fr/.be/.nl, however
> it doesn't look really that out of the way, although I know
> the traffic in Antwerp isn't much fun:

> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=calais,+france&daddr=Nieu...

> You might try some of the other route planners too.

The above mentioned google route is the one you need to follow.  Last
years traffic work on the Antwerp ring road are finished (thank
goodness).  You should go through the kennedy tunnel before entering the
ring road.  Actually you can't miss there, just keep on following there.

John.

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Russell Hafter New » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:30:13




Quote:> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best
> route?

First things first: you are going to *Nieuwegein* and *not*
to Nijmegen.

Nieuwegein is just south of Utrecht, so if you go
's Hertogenbosch (or Den Bosch) from Breda you are going in
completely the wrong direction!!

Quote:> Based on my first trip there 6 years ago I think my best
> route is:
> from Calais
> A18/E40? towards Ostend
> A10/E40 towards Gent, just past Gent

Yes, take the E40 from Calais to Gent. It is signed as the
Axx in France, but the Belgians do not use A(Autoroute)
numbers on signposts where there is also an (European) route
number. From France follow signs to Bruges, which becomes
Brugge once you have crossed the border.

Once you reach Brugge signs are for Gent and Brussel

Quote:> A14 to Antwerpen (french: Anvers)

The motorway junction you want is after J15 and before J16 -
Belgian motorway junction numbers are technically exit
numbers, so if you transfer from one motorway to another you
do not exit the motorway system, so there is no junction
number. Head for Antwerp (Antwerpen) on E17 (you will not
see A14 on signposts).

From Antwerpen follow Breda (E19). In the Netherlands this
remains E19, signposts though will show A16

Quote:> A1/E19 to Breda (kennedy tunnel appears very out of the
> way)

[Snip wrong direction]

Just after the Dutch/Belgian border and junction 14 there is
a motorway junction onto the A58 to Tilburg. Pass junction
14, then turn north on A27 for Utrecht.

(If you miss the above, leave the A16 after junction 17 onto
the A59 towards 's Hertogenbosch (or Den Bosch), then north
onto A27 for Utrecht after junction 34.)

Pass the motorway junction at Gorinchem, then at the
junction with the A2 (probably signposted here for
Amsterdam, turn onto the A2 north.

The first junction should be for Vianen, the second for
Nieuwegein-Zuid, where there is a non-motorway dual
carriageway into Nieuwegein.

I do not have junction numbers in the Netherlands for the
latter part of the journey: this map is a little long in the
tooth.

--
Russell

http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
Russell Hafter Holidays         E-mail to enquiries at our domain
Holiday specialists for Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic
  Tel 01946 861652                     Fax 01946 862085

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Chris Evan » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:43:03






> > Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best
> > route?

> First things first: you are going to *Nieuwegein* and *not*
> to Nijmegen.

Yes well spotted, I had been disabused of that by Paul of ROL yesterday

snip very useful info, thanks.

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D                'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222             Fax: 01903 523679

78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex,     BN11 2EN
The most beautiful thing anyone can wear, is a smile!

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Nico ter Haa » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 04:29:24







>> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best
>> route?

> First things first: you are going to *Nieuwegein* and *not*
> to Nijmegen.

> Nieuwegein is just south of Utrecht, so if you go
> 's Hertogenbosch (or Den Bosch) from Breda you are going in
> completely the wrong direction!!
> Yes, take the E40 from Calais to Gent. It is signed as the
> Axx in France, but the Belgians do not use A(Autoroute)
> numbers on signposts where there is also an (European) route
> number. From France follow signs to Bruges, which becomes
> Brugge once you have crossed the border.

> Once you reach Brugge signs are for Gent and Brussel

>> A14 to Antwerpen (french: Anvers)

> The motorway junction you want is after J15 and before J16 -
> Belgian motorway junction numbers are technically exit
> numbers, so if you transfer from one motorway to another you
> do not exit the motorway system, so there is no junction
> number. Head for Antwerp (Antwerpen) on E17 (you will not
> see A14 on signposts).

> From Antwerpen follow Breda (E19). In the Netherlands this
> remains E19, signposts though will show A16
> Just after the Dutch/Belgian border and junction 14 there is
> a motorway junction onto the A58 to Tilburg. Pass junction
> 14, then turn north on A27 for Utrecht.

> (If you miss the above, leave the A16 after junction 17 onto
> the A59 towards 's Hertogenbosch (or Den Bosch), then north
> onto A27 for Utrecht after junction 34.)

> Pass the motorway junction at Gorinchem, then at the
> junction with the A2 (probably signposted here for
> Amsterdam, turn onto the A2 north.

Yep, Amsterdam it is.

Quote:> The first junction should be for Vianen, the second for
> Nieuwegein-Zuid, where there is a non-motorway dual
> carriageway into Nieuwegein.

It's better /easier to take junction 9 on the A2 which is signposted
Nieuwegein (Nieuwegein-Zuid is 10 and should be ignored).

Now you have left the motorway and on the end of this exit (top of the
crossing) turn right, stay on this road for about 200-250m and turn
right at the trafficlights.
After another 200m there is the entry to the hotel, turn right once
more.

When you leave the motorway you can already see the hotel on your
right hand, signposted Mercure.

Beware that 2 years ago there was a speedcamera AT the exit number 9
hidden in the sound barrier, so don't speed when your late !!

--
Running RISC OS Select 4.39 on VRPC / Omega / RiscPC Mk 1
For information on the Select Configure Plugins visit  www.gh2.nl
Home of: AppsSetup / BinScheme / BootBanner / CCWsetup / MDFsetup

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by News poste » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 02:01:13




Quote:> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?

Thought about crossing Sheerness-Vlissingen or Harwich- Hoek van
Holland.

From Hoek van Holland you'd be really unlucky to take more than two
hours to get to Nieuwegein (we used to do it in under an hour and a
half).

I suspect both those options are too out of your way on the UK side/too
pricey etc.
Regards
Stan
--
--

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Russell Hafter New » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:05:44




> Thought about crossing Sheerness-Vlissingen or Harwich-
> Hoek van Holland.

Err... the Sheerness-Vlissingen closed many years ago,
around the middle of the last decade of the last century.

Quote:> I suspect both those options are too out of your way on
> the UK side/too pricey etc.

Harwich-Hoek is actually probably the cheapest option, (at
least when packaged with accommodation), but Worthing to
harwich is probably a tougher drive than Worthing -
Folkestone (but then, as I have been told by a friend from
the area, Worthing to anywhere can be a pain).

--
Russell

http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
Russell Hafter Holidays         E-mail to enquiries at our domain
Holiday specialists for Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic
  Tel 01946 861652                     Fax 01946 862085

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Ben Cric » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:34:13




>  Harwich-Hoek is actually probably the cheapest option, (at
>  least when packaged with accommodation), but Worthing to
>  harwich is probably a tougher drive than Worthing -
>  Folkestone (but then, as I have been told by a friend from
>  the area, Worthing to anywhere can be a pain).

 I have been told that the Ramsgate-Ostend car ferry service has
 now been resumed. This is a longer crossing (4 hours), but you
 get a decent kip on the boat, and save 100 miles off the drive
 from Calais. And quite a bit off the ferry fare!  Ask your local
 Travel Agency for a booking.

 From Worthing, take the A27 to the M23 to the M25; M25 to M26;
 M26 to M20; M20 to the A249 and the M2; M2 to the A299 Thanet Way;
 A299 to A253 to Ramsgate. Alternatively, stick with the M20 to Dover,
 then the A2 and A256 to Ramsgate.

 Bon voyage!

 Ben

--
    _                     __________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

 232 Canterbury Road, Birchington on sea, Kent CT7 9TD (UK)
 Acorn RPC700 Kinetic RO4.03 and Castle Iyonix X100 RO 5.06 Ethernet
* He who angers you, controls you.

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Ned Abel » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:34:18







> > I suspect both those options are too out of your way on
> > the UK side/too pricey etc.
> Harwich-Hoek is actually probably the cheapest option, (at
> least when packaged with accommodation), but Worthing to
> harwich is probably a tougher drive than Worthing -
> Folkestone (but then, as I have been told by a friend from
> the area, Worthing to anywhere can be a pain).

Worthing to Clows Top was very easy via London, Ascension
Island and Birmingham :-)
BTW for low cost ferry crossings you could go Dover-Boulogne
on Speedferries but then you would have to go back up the
motorway to Calais!

--
besters
Ned

(this email address is unused)

 
 
 

Directions to the Dutch Show from Calais

Post by Richard Porte » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:55:57





>> Could anyone with local knowledge advise me of the best route?
> Thought about crossing Sheerness-Vlissingen or Harwich- Hoek van
> Holland.

> From Hoek van Holland you'd be really unlucky to take more than two
> hours to get to Nieuwegein (we used to do it in under an hour and a
> half).

> I suspect both those options are too out of your way on the UK side/too
> pricey etc.

Is Sheerness-Vlissingen running again? I though it closed years ago.

However you can now go from Ramsgate to Oostende for 64 return (Trans
Europa Ferries) and there's no hassle at either end, unlike Dover
Eastern Docks. The crossing takes 4 hours. Alternatively Speedferries
is charging 19 each way Dover-Boulogne. It's farther to drive but a
much faster crossing.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com
"You can't have Windows without pains."

 
 
 

1. Dutch RISC OS show

Where abouts exactly is this? And anyone that replies 'Holland' will be
castrated :)

73.74 GBP is the return fare from Easyjet to Amsterdam, flying out in the
morning and returning in the evening, in case anyone was interested.

Cheers,

--
Russ Tarbox

Biog: http://www.userve.co.uk/russbiog.htm
Shop: http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/riscitfromruss
Remove THELID to reply by e-mail

2. Active Angle

3. Dutch Expo news (was: New StongARMs? Beefcake! )

4. USR X2 Sportster only connects at 3.3k

5. Dutch RISCOS Expo 2002

6. MPC Says It's Ready for Y2K

7. Dutch Acorn Day, Sat. 23rd Sep.

8. How do you use MatrixVB in COM?

9. Question for the Dutch :

10. Dutch Postbank internet banking now RISC OS friendly!

11. Any news from the Dutch Expo 2001

12. VERA accounting software (Dutch)

13. Dutch manuals wanted