It took ten attempts ...

Post by David Lov » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:56:37

Hi!

Yesterday, when I turned my computer on I got an error message "Error
1095" (or it could have been "1095" or "905" - sorry I didn't make a
note of it) and when I clicked on the OK box the computer froze.
Alt/Break caused a message "Stop unknown" and when I chose to do so
the machine booted, minus !Organizer.

Everything then worked.  The computer was closed down at about midnight.

This morning when I switched on, after going through the display
of the blinking cursor, hourglass and text RiscOS4, StrongArm, ADFS etc.
and a blinking cursor and then hourglass the iconbar appeared with the
Display Manager and TaskManager icons.  The monitor then went blank
other than the hourglass. After about ten minutes everything froze.

I did a Reset and the same thing happened.

I held down Shift and turned the computer on.  The same thing happened.

I turned the machine off completely. The same thing happened.

After about 10 attempts the !Boot was successful and everything appears
to be normal. But now I'm scared to turn the machine off.

Has anyone on the group any idea what may be causing this?  I have sent
an email to Chris Morison just in case it is a glitch in !Organizer, and
he can recognise the initial error message.  However, I've been using
the application for several years without trouble, so doubt that this is
the problem.

David

--
Using an Acorn StrongArm Risc PC - British Technology at it's best

It took ten attempts ...

Post by Martin Longle » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:12:31

Quote:> Hi!

[Snip]

Quote:> This morning when I switched on, after going through the display
> of the blinking cursor, hourglass and text RiscOS4, StrongArm, ADFS etc.
> and a blinking cursor and then hourglass the iconbar appeared with the
> Display Manager and TaskManager icons.  The monitor then went blank
> other than the hourglass. After about ten minutes everything froze.
> I did a Reset and the same thing happened.
> I held down Shift and turned the computer on.  The same thing happened.
> I turned the machine off completely. The same thing happened.
> After about 10 attempts the !Boot was successful and everything appears
> to be normal. But now I'm scared to turn the machine off.
> Has anyone on the group any idea what may be causing this?  I have sent
> an email to Chris Morison just in case it is a glitch in !Organizer, and
> he can recognise the initial error message.  However, I've been using
> the application for several years without trouble, so doubt that this is
> the problem.

Sounds like a loose component that works better when everything has warmed up
and it expands.

Try removing and re-seating memory, pressing down ROMS and if you've got a
SCSI card, remove and replace and 'check the lead'.

Also hard drive leads - make sure they are in tight.

Martin Longley

--

It took ten attempts ...

Post by druc » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:52:39

Quote:> Yesterday, when I turned my computer on I got an error message "Error
> 1095" (or it could have been "1095" or "905" - sorry I didn't make a
> note of it) and when I clicked on the OK box the computer froze.
> Alt/Break caused a message "Stop unknown" and when I chose to do so
> the machine booted, minus !Organizer.

Unless you have completely misremembered that error, it isn't a system one
and likely to be from a BASIC program, and as Organiser failed disappeared
after most like to be it.

[Snip problem repeating after rebootng]

Quote:> Has anyone on the group any idea what may be causing this?  I have sent
> an email to Chris Morison just in case it is a glitch in !Organizer, and
> he can recognise the initial error message.  However, I've been using
> the application for several years without trouble, so doubt that this is
> the problem.

It is quite likely that its database or configuration files have been
corrupted and that its is causing errors on a time basis, which is
to be expected for an application which is calendar based.

---druck

--
 _   _  _   _  _   _   _   _
|_)|(_ / ` / \(_  ' ) / \ / \ /|  The Prestige RISC OS Show, 20-21 October
| \| _)\_, \_/ _)  /_ \_/ \_/ _|_   Blue Mountain, taste the difference

It took ten attempts ...

Post by Chris Moriso » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:05:14

Quote:> Has anyone on the group any idea what may be causing this?  I have sent
> an email to Chris Morison just in case it is a glitch in !Organizer, and
> he can recognise the initial error message.  However, I've been using
> the application for several years without trouble, so doubt that this is
> the problem.

I got your mail and you should have a reply which should help to pin down
the bug or rule out Organizer as the culprit.

It also suggests that you try the !OrgRun application:
http://www.organizer.morison.net/orgrun.zip

All this does it wait's till your computer has fully booted up before
why this is a problem or why this solves it, but it's worked for quite a
few people with RISC OS 4.  Usually Organizer will load fine, but then a
very small change is made to the boot up sequence which affects the
timing and stops Organizer loading.

Cheers.

Chris.
--
Organizer - THE desktop personal organiser for RISC OS

Post by Peter Prewet » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:20:44

> > Has anyone on the group any idea what may be causing this?  I have sent
> > an email to Chris Morison just in case it is a glitch in !Organizer, and
> > he can recognise the initial error message.  However, I've been using
> > the application for several years without trouble, so doubt that this is
> > the problem.

> I got your mail and you should have a reply which should help to pin down
> the bug or rule out Organizer as the culprit.

> It also suggests that you try the !OrgRun application:
> http://www.organizer.morison.net/orgrun.zip

> All this does it wait's till your computer has fully booted up before
> why this is a problem or why this solves it, but it's worked for quite a
> few people with RISC OS 4.  Usually Organizer will load fine, but then a
> very small change is made to the boot up sequence which affects the

I also had a problem on starting up my computer, with an error
message after acceptance the desktop was loaded OK.
Deleting Organiser from the boot sequence fixed the problem.
I have reloaded and it is now at the end of the boot sequence.
My copy is the one supplied with RO4.

Cheers Peter
--
Peter Prewett, Coromandel Valley, South Australia