Another Attempt by MS et al to Highjack the Web

Another Attempt by MS et al to Highjack the Web

Post by Iain Wilkie Loga » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 05:00:44

I'd like to draw your attention to the following:

"The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has reacted to a firestorm of criticism
about proposed changes that would allow technology companies to highjack Net
standards into patented products. This response shows that the W3C at least
understands why people are upset, though the explanation is a bit lame." -
Dan Gillmor

To find out more go to:

<http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/>

and

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/>

The address to register your protest is:

The deadline is 11th October. Let's make our presence felt.

Please pass this on.

All the best,

Iain

--

Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire - Chartered Transport Consultant
<http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/>

Post by Toby Bryan » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:35:04

>  I'd like to draw your attention to the following:

>  "The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has reacted to a firestorm of criticism
> [SNIP]

>  The deadline is 11th October. Let's make our presence felt.

A good responce about this was written by Alan Cox (who, coincidentally, I
recently saw speak about software patents) and can be found at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Sep/...

--
T./ | web : http://www.bryans.org/toby/