Dismount DOS floppy, Dismount DOS floppy

Dismount DOS floppy, Dismount DOS floppy

Post by Richard Sargea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just sorting out some files to take with me, and noticed that when I
dismount a DOS disc, it seems to catalogue it or something afterwards
so if I dismount it once more before removing it then it does not seem
to make a disc access the second time, and then it's forgotten about?

Sometimes (not just using DOS discs) it tells me to insert a disk when
I shut down the computer even if I dismounted each one separately. Is
this to do with using HD discs, DOS discs, perhaps SparkFS or what else?

Richard S.
--
    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___
|  /   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \  | The Archimedes Bulletin Board in London |

Dismount DOS floppy, Dismount DOS floppy

Post by Thomas Boros » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Just sorting out some files to take with me, and noticed that when I
> dismount a DOS disc, it seems to catalogue it or something afterwards
> so if I dismount it once more before removing it then it does not seem
> to make a disc access the second time, and then it's forgotten about?

It's OK that it doesn't do anything the second time.
DOSFS treats a DOS disc as one large image file, so what happens
if you dismount a DOS disc is that that file gets flushed.
All IMO.

Quote:> Sometimes (not just using DOS discs) it tells me to insert a disk when
> I shut down the computer even if I dismounted each one separately. Is
> this to do with using HD discs, DOS discs, perhaps SparkFS or what else?

Can't answer that, but I have another question:
When starting !Wordworks (from a disc called IDE), it keeps asking me
for a disc called "IDE-203mb" SEVERAL times. This was a previous name
of my IDE disc, but I reinstalled the whole !Style pack several times
after that.
What's goin on ?

--
Thomas Boroske
.. Set phasers on tickle!

Post by Darren Sal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Just sorting out some files to take with me, and noticed that when I
> dismount a DOS disc, it seems to catalogue it or something afterwards so if
> I dismount it once more before removing it then it does not seem to make a
> disc access the second time, and then it's forgotten about?

(DOSFS 0.43, I presume.)

No - it's probably just writing some data to the disk; DOS disks are treated
as image files.

Quote:> Sometimes (not just using DOS discs) it tells me to insert a disk when I
> shut down the computer even if I dismounted each one separately. Is this to
> do with using HD discs, DOS discs, perhaps SparkFS or what else?

SparkFS seems the most likely culprit here - I try to avoid opening archives
on floppy because I know from experience that it'll ask for me to insert some
disk or other when shutdown time comes along...

| Acorn A3010 - Spectrum +3 - BBC Master - Wintel free zone - Season ticket |
+-01268-515441-free-email-&-Usenet---Retrocomputing:-a-PC-card-in-a-Risc-PC-+

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Dismount DOS floppy, Dismount DOS floppy

Post by Richard Murr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quoting Richard Sargeant (in comp.sys.acorn.misc)...

RS> dismount a DOS disc, it seems to catalogue it or something afterwards so
RS> if I dismount it once more before removing it then it does not seem
Flushing the 1K cache.

RS> Sometimes (not just using DOS discs) it tells me to insert a disk when I
RS> shut down the computer even if I dismounted each one separately. Is this
RS> to do with using HD discs, DOS discs, perhaps SparkFS or what else?
SparkFS has been known to hold files open. Try a filesearch in your downloads
directory and see how far it gets before you run out of file handles. :-)

   ___          Is there anything in the universe more beautiful and
  /__/          protective than the simple complexity of a spider's web?
 /  \ichard.    -- C*te
--
   ___         _______       ___  ___
  / _ \_______/_  __(_)___  / _ )/ _ )___   http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Floppy DOS problems

ISTR a recent discussion on difficulties with DOS-format FDs in RO4.

I noticed difficulties sometimes when trying to read these discs in my
R7500.
The error is usually "Ambiguous disc name" or sometimes "disc not
formatted"
The problem has been solved by using:
1. my A5000 to read the discs
 or
2. 'SHIFT-Boot'ing my R7500 (ie safe-mode), which then allows me to T-fer
the files to HD

I don't fully undersand the new Boot sequence enough to figure out which
module or app doesn't like DOS Discs.

Anyway,

There's my two pennies' worth

Cheers

Phil

2. Is it possible to use ISDN devices to provide 56K analog dial-up connections?

3. ADFS_DiscOp & DOS 720 Kb floppies

4. oops...

5. Scans on DOS Floppy

6. Clean install - Setup hangs when installing drivers

7. RO4 won't recognise DOS floppies

8. unix lharc to uncompress gcc21.lha?

9. display of DOS floppy under ADFS

10. DOS floppy file names?

11. Help: any hope for corrupt DOS floppy?

12. Dos floppy disk problem

13. problem formatting DOS floppy disks...