Windows driver in RISCPC Problem

Post by quill.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Since installing the new sound and  windows driver software in my Risc PC I
can't get Windows to load.  The windows 3.11 logo comes up then it reverts to
the DOS prompt with an error message 'Error loading PROGMAN.EXE'
Can anyone help me get out of this.  I only want to be able to access some
PC-CDs in case anyone out there thinks I *like* windows!
I have followed the User Guide to the letter, but have had no success for three
days now.
--

  Christopher Jarman - CLIPS ROUND THE YEAR
  Wyke Hill House Cheriton Close Winchester SO22 5HN

Windows driver in RISCPC Problem

Post by quill.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks to all. I guess I'll just have to re-install Windows yet again again. On
bitter experience I wish the RiscPC had come with more RAM and no PC card!To
those out there who have not yet bought the 486chip... I have found it is simply
not powerful enough to do anything I want.  The Acorn does all my graphics and
WP.. I had hoped the PC card might run the odd game or Flight Sim but it won't
even run the CDs off magazines if they have movies or Sims. As my father-in-law
used to say "Well, the adverts spoke highly of it"
--

  Christopher Jarman - CLIPS ROUND THE YEAR
  Wyke Hill House Cheriton Close Winchester SO22 5HN
  Tel/Fax 01962 862227

Windows driver in RISCPC Problem

Post by r.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Since installing the new sound and  windows driver software in my Risc PC I
> can't get Windows to load.  The windows 3.11 logo comes up then it reverts to
> the DOS prompt with an error message 'Error loading PROGMAN.EXE'
> Can anyone help me get out of this.  I only want to be able to access some
> PC-CDs in case anyone out there thinks I *like* windows!
> I have followed the User Guide to the letter, but have had no success for
> three
> days now.

Just a thought - did you install the correct window driver for your version of
!486PC software?  If you put a new windows driver version with an older version
of software you do get an error like that.  The new ones are called ARMDRV.DRV
and I think the old one is ARMVGA(SVGA).DRV.  They are not interchangeable with
their software versions.

Ray D

--
 --. --. : : --.      ------------------

 |\  | | |   | |      ------------------
 | \ | | |   |_|AWSON

1. Windows speaker driver, why?

Hi all,

I too am a bit annoyed at the lack of sound from PC cards on 8bit
sound RiscPCs. But I've *got* to ask. Why did I get a copy of the
Windows PC speaker driver with my !PC software? I get no sound out
of it at all. In DOS, the only sound that I can make is the standard
ctrl-7 beep :-(

Is it really worth getting a 16bit sound card just to play games on the
PC? AFAIK there is very little RiscPC software that uses the 16bit sound
yet.

Answers on a post card to the usual address.

Dave 'Spriteman' Watson.

2. Cash Flow Problem M2002 Dlx

3. StrongArm -Windows-RiscPc

4. Z-Modem 34 ?????????

5. Visual Plug-Ins for DigitalCD

6. References to the use of gestures in GUI

7. Acorn trade ins

8. problem using DJGPP

9. Forget Opera, we need Plug-ins!

10. Ant INS oddity - help?

11. HELP: RiscPC in Windows-Network?

12. Is it worth getting the Turbo driver for stong-arm RiscPC

13. Windows XP and Virtual RiscPC on an 800MHz PC?