Bulletin Board

Post by Tim » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 03:00:09

Apologies if this seems off topic but...

I have been asked to put together a bulletin board for a website with which
I am involved.

I know enough to know this is going to necessitate CGI scripts.

I have already got the CGI/Perl Cook book which comes with a CD and is of
course all set up to run on Windows or Mac but hasn't heard about Risc OS.

Can anyone point me towards any sites which may help with simple scripts and
tutorials etc.

My learning curve is going to be Everest like....

Thanks

Tim

Bulletin Board

Post by Ben Shimmi » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:36:08

Quote:> Apologies if this seems off topic but...

> I have been asked to put together a bulletin board for a website with which
> I am involved.

> I know enough to know this is going to necessitate CGI scripts.

> I have already got the CGI/Perl Cook book

Good choice.

Quote:>                                           which comes with a CD and is of
> course all set up to run on Windows or Mac but hasn't heard about Risc OS.

> Can anyone point me towards any sites which may help with simple scripts and
> tutorials etc.

Why don't you just use an existing script?  There's an archetypal one at
Matt's Script Archive (<URL:http://www.script-archive.com/>), though I'd be
hesitant as to its quality, and there are lists of some 164 similar scripts at
<URL:http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Bulletin_Board_
Message_Systems/> and <URL:http://perlarchive.com/guide/BBS/>.

A better newsgroup for this query would be comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi.

b.

--
`I have a good mind not to take Aloysius to Venice.  I don't want him to
 meet a lot of horrid Italian bears and pick up bad habits.'

Bulletin Board

Post by Stuart Marshal » Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:13:30

> Apologies if this seems off topic but...

> I have been asked to put together a bulletin board for a website with which
> I am involved.

> I know enough to know this is going to necessitate CGI scripts.

> I have already got the CGI/Perl Cook book which comes with a CD and is of
> course all set up to run on Windows or Mac but hasn't heard about Risc OS.

> Can anyone point me towards any sites which may help with simple scripts and
> tutorials etc.

> My learning curve is going to be Everest like....

Use one of the already existing 'Bulletin Board' pieces of software. I'd
recommend something like PHPBB.

www.phpbb.com

It takes less than 10 minutes to set up and get running on most Linux
distributions (assuming Apache, PHP and Mysql [or another suitable
database]) is installed.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Bulletin Board

Post by Russ Tarbo » Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:44:10

>> Apologies if this seems off topic but...

>> I have been asked to put together a bulletin board for a website
>> with which I am involved.

>> I know enough to know this is going to necessitate CGI scripts.

>> I have already got the CGI/Perl Cook book which comes with a CD and
>> is of course all set up to run on Windows or Mac but hasn't heard
>> about Risc OS.

>> Can anyone point me towards any sites which may help with simple
>> scripts and tutorials etc.

>> My learning curve is going to be Everest like....

> Use one of the already existing 'Bulletin Board' pieces of software.
> I'd recommend something like PHPBB.

> www.phpbb.com

> It takes less than 10 minutes to set up and get running on most Linux
> distributions (assuming Apache, PHP and Mysql [or another suitable
> database]) is installed.

There are also several bulleting boards which don't require so many back-end
requirements, MySQL not always being a free service from your ISP.

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Bulletin_Board...
e_Systems/

Gives a good list, also www.freeperlcode.com is a useful site.

Cheers,

--
Russ Tarbox

Biog: http://www.userve.co.uk/russbiog.htm
Shop: http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/riscitfromruss
Remove THELID to reply by e-mail

Bulletin Board

Post by Tim » Mon, 29 Sep 2003 02:48:29

> > Apologies if this seems off topic but...

> > I have been asked to put together a bulletin board for a website with which
> > I am involved.

[snip]
> Use one of the already existing 'Bulletin Board' pieces of software. I'd
> recommend something like PHPBB.

> www.phpbb.com

> It takes less than 10 minutes to set up and get running on most Linux
> distributions (assuming Apache, PHP and Mysql [or another suitable
> database]) is installed.

[snip]

Thanks to those who gave helpful suggestions. I have been waitng for my ISP
to let me have some answers to fairly basic questions, about the Perl modules
etc they have installed, since Tuesday (not Demon) which is why I have not
been back to report progress or indeed beg for help... yet

Tim

1. ETERNAL DESTINY : Beta Bulletin Board Now Operational

The Eternal Destiny Bulletin Board (0.1beta) is now fully operational at the
Official Unnoficial Eternal Destiny Homepages. Take a look in the 'Latest
Information' section:

http://www.argbk65.force9.co.uk/destiny/

Andy

--
 Intui.Net Internet Services : http://www.argonet.co.uk/intuinet/

2. I can't fax R13 .wmf graphic in Word for Windows

3. Acorn Bulletin Boards

4. mailsurr.el

5. Arcade Bulletin Board - serving Acorn users since 1990

6. MSVC++6 libraries with Borland 5.0x ?

7. ETERNAL DESTINY : Beta Version Bulletin Board

8. USR Courier v.32bis with ASL?

9. Eternal Destiny : Bulletin board reminder and Demo

10. BBC Bulletin Boards

11. Acorn Bulletin Boards

12. Updated Acorn Bulletin Board List

13. TI Programs/Games or Bulletin Boards