HD Fault

Post by Brian Hog » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:43:02

My 2Gb scsi disc has developed a fault which I 'think' may be in the
newshound app somewhere.  Errors only seem to start occuring when I
have fetched news and mail.  Nothing else 'seems' to be affected.
I have a SARPC with os3.7.

I did have an old !boot file that went duff quite a long time ago which I
deleted recently so maybe I have freed up the fault area.

Fsck and checkmap say the map is ok but verify says there is a fault at
6AD6400.

How can I, at the minimum, find if there is a file that lays over this area
so that I can flag it as dead change its name and replace the original file.
Is this possible?

Also, is Fsck capable of mapping out the fault.  I have v1.31.

Are there any other codes that I can safely use to repair the disc?

TIA

Brian.

HD Fault

Post by ROS402d » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 08:15:15

Quote:> My 2Gb scsi disc has developed a fault which I 'think' may be in the
> newshound app somewhere.  Errors only seem to start occuring when I
> have fetched news and mail.  Nothing else 'seems' to be affected.
> I have a SARPC with os3.7.

> I did have an old !boot file that went duff quite a long time ago which I
> deleted recently so maybe I have freed up the fault area.

If there IS a fault in a specific area, simply try copying the data to
another drive, when it hits the problem it will let you know, downside is
that it could take a while, whilst *Defect will tell you which file is
occupying a particular sector immediately.

Quote:> Fsck and checkmap say the map is ok but verify says there is a fault at
> 6AD6400.

Fsck and Checkmap only check the used sections of the disk, and then only
normally at the file level, whereas Verify checks the integrity of the
media itself.

Quote:> How can I, at the minimum, find if there is a file that lays over this
> area so that I can flag it as dead change its name and replace the
> original file.
> Is this possible?

Command line
  defect <drive spec> 6ad6400
where drive spec is the number of the drive, or the full FS:X if it isn't
the current drive, this will tell you the name of the file using that
address, or simply maps out the defect if that area is unused.

Quote:> Also, is Fsck capable of mapping out the fault.  I have v1.31.

> Are there any other codes that I can safely use to repair the disc?

Probably an idea to get DiskKnight if you haven't got it already.

It is definitely worth the 10 pounds asking price.

HD Fault

Post by Edward Lor » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:24:31

Quote:> My 2Gb scsi disc has developed a fault which I 'think' may be in the
> newshound app somewhere.  Errors only seem to start occuring when I
> have fetched news and mail.  Nothing else 'seems' to be affected.
> I have a SARPC with os3.7.

Are you sure its a disc fault. Which version of Newshound are you using?
(Mine is 1.42 2/12/00)

Quote:> I did have an old !boot file that went duff quite a long time ago which I
> deleted recently so maybe I have freed up the fault area.

> Fsck and checkmap say the map is ok but verify says there is a fault at
> 6AD6400.

> How can I, at the minimum, find if there is a file that lays over this area
> so that I can flag it as dead change its name and replace the original file.
> Is this possible?

> Also, is Fsck capable of mapping out the fault.  I have v1.31.

> Are there any other codes that I can safely use to repair the disc?

> TIA

> Brian.

Down load the trial version of DiscKnight and try it, (From the ARM
club). Then buy it ? its the best 10 of insurance you will ever buy!!!

--
Regards

Eddie
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napoleon

HD Fault

Post by Brian Hog » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 07:43:27

<snip>

Quote:> Command line
>   defect <drive spec> 6ad6400
> where drive spec is the number of the drive, or the full FS:X if it isn't
> the current drive, this will tell you the name of the file using that
> address, or simply maps out the defect if that area is unused.

Thanks for the guidance.

Used the above and found that !newshound.config.idhist needs to be 'moved'.

Any idea what this file is for and what should be in it?

Can it be deleted or does it need to be replaced?

Looks like I need to delete the file, use defect again to map it out then get
or build a new copy of the file.

Brian.

HD Fault

Post by ROS402d » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 11:23:23

> <snip>
> > Command line
> >   defect <drive spec> 6ad6400
> > where drive spec is the number of the drive, or the full FS:X if it isn't
> > the current drive, this will tell you the name of the file using that
> > address, or simply maps out the defect if that area is unused.

> Thanks for the guidance.

> Used the above and found that !newshound.config.idhist needs to be
> 'moved'.

For 'moved' read 'copied', then delete the original, then do the defect
command again, of course if the file is uncopyable then just delete and
defect.

Quote:> Any idea what this file is for and what should be in it?
> Can it be deleted or does it need to be replaced?

It seems to hold the ID references for all fetched messages, I'm not
sure if it is safe to simply delete or not, you could certainly try it,
I doubt that it would cause any major hassles.

You could always use the 'Rebuild' or 'Check' features on the Mail and
news storage panel.

Quote:> Looks like I need to delete the file, use defect again to map it out
> then get or build a new copy of the file.

Looks that way.

HD Fault

Post by Reg Hem » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 20:58:52

>> Command line
>>   defect <drive spec> 6ad6400
>> where drive spec is the number of the drive, or the full FS:X if it isn't
>> the current drive, this will tell you the name of the file using that
>> address, or simply maps out the defect if that area is unused.
> Used the above and found that !newshound.config.idhist needs to be
> 'moved'.
> Any idea what this file is for and what should be in it?

As it says, it is the ID history file and contains the Message-IDs of
downloaded News articles, separated by #time giving date and time of your
downloads. Load it in your Text editor and see. It acts as a filter to
prevent articles from being downloaded twice.

Quote:> Can it be deleted or does it need to be replaced?

It can be deleted. NewsHound will remake it during your next News fetch.
It will be deleted anyway when it gets over a certain size and copied to
SysLog as OldLog to the !SysLog App in resources..

Quote:> Looks like I need to delete the file, use defect again to map it out then
> get or build a new copy of the file.

* When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers - O.Wilde
--
Reg Hems  ZFC LXX \_
BBC B Micro Iss.3&7 \_

Uploaded on Fri,02 Nov 2001.13:32

HD Fault

Post by Brian Hog » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 06:35:38

Looks like it's fixed the Newshound error.  Brilliant... Thanks.

Also found another defect in a Destiny file which I have fixed.

HD is OK now.  Cheers folks.

Brian.

HD Fault

Post by druc » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 04:21:46

>>> Command line
>>>   defect <drive spec> 6ad6400 where drive spec is the number of the
>>> drive, or the full FS:X if it isn't the current drive, this will tell you
>>> the name of the file using that address, or simply maps out the defect if
>>> that area is unused.

>> Thanks for the guidance.

>> Used the above and found that !newshound.config.idhist needs to be
>> 'moved'.

> For 'moved' read 'copied', then delete the original, then do the defect
> command again, of course if the file is uncopyable then just delete and
> defect.

However if its a directory, you cant delete it because the defect means its
corrupted so the system can open it to recursively delete its contents. The
only way round this is to use the kill object feature of DiscKnight, which
will remove the directory and recover its contents to a different directory.

---druck

--
              |\/|o _|| _  _  _| _
The ARM Club  |  ||(_||(_|| |(_|_\ Show,  1st December 2001

1. segmentation fault, not my fault

hi

I searched for this on deja-news but could only find someone asking the
question, no answers.  So apologies, but I'm going to ask it again.

I have a C++ program, essentially has a base class, a derived class and
another, independent class.  The derived class has as a member an array of
the latter class.  The whole lot is constructed and what not, and then the
following loop is entered:

some_fn()
{
  // some other stuff

  for (each member of array)
  {
  cout<<"*";
  take member of array, examine it, and:
  if (condition) stick it on end on list 1
  else stick it on end of list 2.
  cout<<"*\n";
  }

//}

  cout<<"sorting lists";
  sort each list;

  // some more stuff

In the testing of this, there are only four members in the array.  Each is
placed in the correct place (I know this because there are more printed
statements inside the if bit telling me what happens), and the array is
not overrun, i.e. only 4 pairs of stars are printed.  After that I get a
segmentation fault and a register dump.  I understand that this means I am
accessing some bit of memory I shouldn't, but it doesn't even get from
printing the last star to the 'sorting lists' statement.  If I end the fn
after the for loop finishes (the commented out brace above), no errors
occur and the fn terminates as expected.

What is causing this?  How can I stop it?

I was using GCC 2.7.2, but tried also the new beta version (2.9.6?), and
both do it, using !UnixLib38 and !Libio.

Help!

Chris

--
C. Lund

2. Epson Compatible?

3. How can a Filecore format HD change into a DOSdisc format HD ???

4. S-PLUS Free Trial CD - Request Survey

5. CJE Phones Fault

6. query re porting files from MapleV R1, R2

7. Dune II Fault Screenshot

8. Apple Laser on Ethernet

9. Help with BBC Ram Fault

10. Help with BBC B powerup fault