Sparkplug....strange

Sparkplug....strange

Post by Gabrio TheCl » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:26:31



I'm sorry if i post very dummy questions but i'm a complitely newbie
of Acorn and RiscOS.

the problem of the day is: Sparkplug doesn't work. When i try to
launch it i see "System resources cannot be found" and nothing else.
Where is the problem?

tnx for help!

gabrio

 
 
 

Sparkplug....strange

Post by Alex Macfarlane Smit » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:31:10




Quote:> I'm sorry if i post very dummy questions but i'm a complitely newbie
> of Acorn and RiscOS.

> the problem of the day is: Sparkplug doesn't work. When i try to
> launch it i see "System resources cannot be found" and nothing else.
> Where is the problem?

> tnx for help!

> gabrio

You need to obtain a resources called !System from somewhere. Alternatively,
if you're running >RO3.0, then just comment out the line in the !Run file
inside !SparkPlug that references System resources (with the | symbol).

Alex.
--

WWW:    http://www.toth.org.uk/~aardvark/
ICQ:    29035638


 
 
 

Sparkplug....strange

Post by Gabrio TheCl » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:38:50


On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:31:10 GMT, Alex Macfarlane Smith


>You need to obtain a resources called !System from somewhere. Alternatively,
>if you're running >RO3.0, then just comment out the line in the !Run file
>inside !SparkPlug that references System resources (with the | symbol).

what exactly have i to find?

gabrio

 
 
 

Sparkplug....strange

Post by MattL » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 02:07:23



> I'm sorry if i post very dummy questions but i'm a complitely newbie
> of Acorn and RiscOS.

> the problem of the day is: Sparkplug doesn't work. When i try to
> launch it i see "System resources cannot be found" and nothing else.
> Where is the problem?

The answer to this depends on which computer you have. If it's a recent
one (RiscPC, A7000, RiscStation, Mico) then inside the !Boot application
on the hard disc should be a directory called Resources, inside which is
the !System application. On older computers which don't have a hard disc
!System is on one of the two application floppy disks that come with it.

Alternatively, if you're using an emulator such as Red Squirrel you may
not have !System at all.

Another possibility is that the computer is not booting up normally and
so RISC OS doesn't know where !System is. Switching on with 'Delete'
held down may sort this out.

I'm speculating, but it could be one of the above.

MattLB

 
 
 

Sparkplug....strange

Post by Steve Fryat » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 04:02:53




> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:31:10 GMT, Alex Macfarlane Smith

> > You need to obtain a resources called !System from somewhere.
> > Alternatively, if you're running >RO3.0, then just comment out the
> > line in the !Run file inside !SparkPlug that references System
> > resources (with the | symbol).

> what exactly have i to find?

It depends on what version of RISC OS you are running.  If it is RISC OS 3
or later, then Shift-double-click on !SparkPlug, then Shift-double-click
on !Run in the window that opens.  This will load the !Run file into a
text editor (probably Edit).

Look for the line that reads

 if "<System$Path>" = "" then Error 0 System resources cannot be found

and comment it out by placing a vertical bar -- that's | -- in front of
it.  If your copy is like mine, there are several comments already in the
file.  Now save the modified file.

Re-run SparkPlug and it should work.  The reason this works is that
SparkPlug only needs System for the SharedCLibrary; this is in ROM on RISC
OS 3 and later so the check is redundant.

If you have RISC OS 2, you'll need to get a copy of System (the system
resources).  If you have one on disc, open the directory containing it
before running SparkPlug.

--
Steve Fryatt - Glasgow, Scotland

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

 
 
 

Sparkplug....strange

Post by The Perkins Famil » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 05:20:48


if it is any acorn below A4000(this and above have hgarddrives) it will not
have a sytem file. if it does, when you run sparkplug, make sure that the
harddisk (the folder ) is displayed. otherwise it wont work.

Regards Alex Perkins
Collector and creator of acorn technology

 
 
 

1. SparkPlug archive question

What is the Sparkplug command line command to extract the contents of an
archive to another floppy disk

The command     !sparkplug.!run -x adfs::disk1.filename/arc adfs::disk2

Does not do anything. Not even prompt me to insert disk2.

!sparkplug.!run -t adfs::disk1.filename/arc  confirmed that the archive was
good.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris.

2. Basic HTML layout code wanted

3. problems with SparkPlug

4. Include Webbot Problems

5. ArcFS/Spark/SparkPlug Problems

6. Yahoo! new settings

7. Sparkplug

8. "FTO" DOS window

9. How do I use !SparkPlug ???

10. Sparkplug

11. !Sparkplug command question

12. Freenet archive & Sparkplug

13. Help on downloading sparkplug archives