Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by jones.family2 » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 05:24:50

Hi All,
I went to WHSmith yesterday to get the september AU.
Where was it?
Amiga Active-Loads!  Why?
No Acorn User.
The AU website says the Altrincham branch stocks it, so I had to put it on
order.
Anyone else have problems getting the mag?
Oh, I think it's a good magazine before anyone says "get Archive or RISC
User".

Thanks
=========
Danny Jones
=========

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by John Cartmel » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 05:58:00

Quote:> Hi All, I went to WHSmith yesterday to get the september AU. Where was
> it? Amiga Active-Loads!  Why? No Acorn User. The AU website says the
> Altrincham branch stocks it, so I had to put it on order. Anyone else
> have problems getting the mag? Oh, I think it's a good magazine before
> anyone says "get Archive or RISC User".

Smiths are their own law regarding magazines. Sale WH Smiths have twice
told me that they stopped getting it because it was only about those old
BBC computers [yes they received an accelerated IT lesson!].
I've not checked in Sale or Altrincham recently but the Trafford Centre
seem to stock it OK.
Going for a magazine 3 weeks late *may* be the problem??

Of course we might start selling it at your local User Group (but you
missed last month and it was !Excellent!        ;-)

--
John Cartmell

MAUG - New Venue in Sale from Wednesday 18th July
- now at Metrovick Rugby Club, FinnyBank Road, Sale
Meetings 19th September & etc

Post by jones.family2 » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:21:45

> Smiths are their own law regarding magazines.

True.
Sale WH Smiths have twice told me that they stopped getting it because it
was only about those old
Quote:> BBC computers [yes they received an accelerated IT lesson!].

If the Alty' branch said that to me there WOULD be trouble.......
Quote:> I've not checked in Sale or Altrincham recently but the Trafford Centre
> seem to stock it OK.
> Going for a magazine 3 weeks late *may* be the problem??

Maybe because I was on holiday when it came out?
Quote:> Of course we might start selling it at your local User Group (but you
> missed last month and it was !Excellent!        ;-)

I will be there on the 19th, maybe............;-)

Thanks
Daniel Jones
=========

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by Tim Anderso » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 04:12:10

Hi,

Do you have a lot of people in your group?

I only ask because I tried to join last week I think it was and haven't
heard anything yet.

I want to join but don't know quite what it is all about.

Tim Anderson

> > Smiths are their own law regarding magazines.
> True.
> Sale WH Smiths have twice told me that they stopped getting it because it
> was only about those old
> > BBC computers [yes they received an accelerated IT lesson!].
> If the Alty' branch said that to me there WOULD be trouble.......
> > I've not checked in Sale or Altrincham recently but the Trafford Centre
> > seem to stock it OK.
> > Going for a magazine 3 weeks late *may* be the problem??
> Maybe because I was on holiday when it came out?
> > Of course we might start selling it at your local User Group (but you
> > missed last month and it was !Excellent!        ;-)
> I will be there on the 19th, maybe............;-)

> Thanks
> Daniel Jones
> =========

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by John Cartmel » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 07:08:17

[presumably about MAUG]

Quote:> Do you have a lot of people in your group?
> I only ask because I tried to join last week I think it was and haven't
> heard anything yet.
> I want to join but don't know quite what it is all about.

Sorry you didn't hear anything. The group meets on the 3rd Wednesday of
every month at the Trafford Metrovick Rugby Club, 28 Finnybank Rd, Sale.
There are many members but attendance at any one meeting can vary from
single figures up.
We're such a friendly bunch that we won't charge you membership fees!

Meetings start at 7.30ish but there are usually some members getting
together from 6.30pm.
Next meeting 19th September.

http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk/dirs.html

for directions to the meetings.

--
John Cartmell

MAUG - New Venue in Sale from Wednesday 18th July
- now at Metrovick Rugby Club, FinnyBank Road, Sale
Meetings 19th September & etc
http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by Tim Anderso » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:17:19

<snip>
Quote:> Sorry you didn't hear anything. The group meets on the 3rd Wednesday of
> every month at the Trafford Metrovick Rugby Club, 28 Finnybank Rd, Sale.
> There are many members but attendance at any one meeting can vary from
> single figures up.
> We're such a friendly bunch that we won't charge you membership fees!

> Meetings start at 7.30ish but there are usually some members getting
> together from 6.30pm.
> Next meeting 19th September.

> http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk/dirs.html

> for directions to the meetings.

<snip>

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Even though I won't be able to make this meeting due to being in Germany
with work I will certainely try to make the October meet.

Tim Anderson

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by dgs » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:49:07

[ MAUG ]

Quote:> I only ask because I tried to join last week I think it was and haven't
> heard anything yet.

Apologies for the (relative) silence, it looks like I added you to our
distribution list for email bulletins on 24th August [1] but possibly
didn't email you at the time to let you know.

I think John has now filled in some of the details.  The next meeting
(Wednesday 19th September) is likely to be based around RISC OS Select...
more info on this soon hopefully.

[1] worked out purely by looking at the datestamp on
!Pluto.Choices.Maillists.MAUG and noting that you were the last email
address to be added :-)

--

(speaking personally) * or Manchester ?  http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk/

Post by jones.family2 » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 02:17:08

> [ MAUG ]

> > I only ask because I tried to join last week I think it was and haven't
> > heard anything yet.

> Apologies for the (relative) silence, it looks like I added you to our
> distribution list for email bulletins on 24th August [1] but possibly
> didn't email you at the time to let you know.

Slipping there dgs ;-)

Quote:> I think John has now filled in some of the details.  The next meeting
> (Wednesday 19th September) is likely to be based around RISC OS Select...
> more info on this soon hopefully.

Free subscriptions/upgrades?!

Thanks,
Danny Jones.
=========
--------------

Post by John Cartmel » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:04:22

Quote:> > I think John has now filled in some of the details.  The next meeting
> > (Wednesday 19th September) is likely to be based around RISC OS
> > Select... more info on this soon hopefully.
> Free subscriptions/upgrades?!

see sig below...

The optimism of youth!

Bring your mother with her chequebook and you could go away with RISC OS 4+

--
John Cartmell

MAUG - New Venue in Sale - now at Metrovick Rugby Club, FinnyBank Road, Sale
Meeting >>Next Week<< 19th September === http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk
        - RISC OS 4+ presentation by Paul Middleton
        - MyRISCOS update by Jeremy Coates

Acorn User-Does anywhere stock it?

Post by dgs » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:27:06

Quote:> Slipping there dgs ;-)

No, prioritising in adverse circumstances.

Quote:> Free subscriptions/upgrades?!

Free MAUG membership!

--

Post by John Cartmel » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:19:42

> > Slipping there dgs ;-)
> No, prioritising in adverse circumstances.
> > Free subscriptions/upgrades?!
> Free MAUG membership!

*and* free troubleshooting on someone's Risc PC!        :-)

--
John Cartmell

MAUG - New Venue in Sale - now at Metrovick Rugby Club, FinnyBank Road, Sale
Meeting >>Next Week<< 19th September === http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk
        - RISC OS 4+ presentation by Paul Middleton
        - MyRISCOS update by Jeremy Coates

1. Acorn User Stock Clearance

We're having a bit of a stock clearance and it's better than an MFI sale!

What software have we got?
==========================

The following for 10ukp each (inc VAT, p&p):

High Risc Racing x1

Eclipse Collection - James Pond 2, Xenon II, Cycloids, F.R.E.D., and Ixion x2

Easy Font x4

Publish Art 2 (!Draw format) x2

RISC OS Clip-art Collection x51

Please note that stocks are limited and will be sold on a first come, first
serve basis.

How to order
============

phone) with the subject "AU offer". Include the title(s) of the software you
want within the e-mail. An e-mail will be sent to confirm your order, with
details of where to send cheques/postal orders -- no credit cards, thanks.

Those that do not recieve a reply have been unsuccessful, but will be
placed on an appropriate list in case we find any more copies lying around.

Disclaimer
==========

The software is sold purely as-is, we make no claims as to usability on
any specific version of RISC OS.

--
Richard Siggee
Marketing Director, Tau Press

2. OS/2 FTP ARCHIVE: New titles at ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

3. Annual Acorn User Stock Clearance

4. Hp Apollo Series 735

5. Acorn News: Dealers Delve in Acorn's Christmas Stocking

6. Was JPEG2000 ratified at Maui meeting?

7. Second User RISC PC systems now in stock!

8. Comments on best e-mail software please

9. It`s "RiscOS" :-)

10. Manchester Acorn User Group (Was Acorn users in Manches

11. Acorn User and email (was: Acorn User CD - Lack Of)

12. Dismount DOS floppy, Dismount DOS floppy

13. Acorn News: Stock Exchange Announcement