Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by Bobs Pluto_ » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:59:02

Allo,
     I have aquired a problem with my RiscPC + RiscOS 4.02 caused by what
I guess might be the !Boot structure.

Symptoms are:-
                The machine boots up and looks O.K. BUT if I drag a file
anywhere BEFORE I launch an application the machine hangs without any kind
of message. If I launch any application before I drag a file all is O.K.

As soon as I start to drag the file the transfer icon appears but freezes
before it leaves the window. Sometimes it gets a bit further than others
before it happens but it never gets outside the window.

Recent History (What did I change) :-
                                      I am not implying that it is in any
way responsible for the problem but it started just after I had  installed
GemPrint. It put two files in !Boot.choices.boot.Tasks (can't remember the
names exactly something like !!RunprintersGp and !RunPrintersG). I think
it was the double pling one which generated an error message saying a file
could not be found.  I thought the "!!" a bit unusual, also it had a ".^."
bit in it.  Thinking I had found the problem, I deleted these two files -
but no - its still there.

        The hang up is not a big problem but it sure is annoying.

        Does anyone have any ideas how to sort this without re-installing
and re-constructing !Boot.

        Any help will be most gratefully received.

                                               Many Thanks in Advance  Bob.

--

  _                                   ______________________________
 |_) _ |_   |   . |_ |_  _  _        /  Acorn RiscPC + Strongarm

Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by Steve Pott » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:24:09

Quote:> Allo,
>      I have aquired a problem with my RiscPC + RiscOS 4.02 caused by what
> I guess might be the !Boot structure.

> Symptoms are:-
>                 The machine boots up and looks O.K. BUT if I drag a file
> anywhere BEFORE I launch an application the machine hangs without any kind
> of message. If I launch any application before I drag a file all is O.K.

> As soon as I start to drag the file the transfer icon appears but freezes
> before it leaves the window. Sometimes it gets a bit further than others
> before it happens but it never gets outside the window.

[snip]

Quote:

>         The hang up is not a big problem but it sure is annoying.

>         Does anyone have any ideas how to sort this without re-installing
> and re-constructing !Boot.

[snip]

Could this be due to no memory allocated in the "Next" wimp slot?  Try
increasing this in the Task Manager before loading an application and doing a
drag operation.

Given the odd nature of the problem and the fact that installation of a clean
!Boot is not too much hassle, I'd be inclined to reinstall the !Boot because
this symptom you are aware of may not be the only problem awaiting you.

I'd suggest that you rename your current !Boot to something without a "!" and
then install a clean RISC OS 4 !Boot.  Then check everything is okay and
gradually put in your !Boot.Resources and !Boot.Choices, checking after each
addition that the problem does not return - and if it does, you'll know what
you added that caused it.  However, I suspect that it is an ommission or
incorrect copy of a critical file that causes this (if indeed the fault lies
within !Boot).

Don't forget that in some cases, your old !S*may contain stuff you also
want to preserve when installing a new !Boot.

--
StevePotts at blastzone DOT demon STOP co DOT uk (www.blastzone.demon.co.uk/)
Written on RISC OS.

Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by Martin Wuerthne » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:05:37

>> Symptoms are:-
>>                 The machine boots up and looks O.K. BUT if I drag a file
>> anywhere BEFORE I launch an application the machine hangs without any kind
>> of message. If I launch any application before I drag a file all is O.K.

>> As soon as I start to drag the file the transfer icon appears but freezes
>> before it leaves the window. Sometimes it gets a bit further than others
>> before it happens but it never gets outside the window.

> Could this be due to no memory allocated in the "Next" wimp slot?

Most definitely not.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier

Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by Martin Wuerthne » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:04:43

Quote:>                 The machine boots up and looks O.K. BUT if I drag a file
> anywhere BEFORE I launch an application the machine hangs without any kind
> of message. If I launch any application before I drag a file all is O.K.

I presume you refer to dragging from a Filer window and the freeze
occurs before you drop the file anywhere? Does the same happen when
dragging from the Pinboard?

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier

Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by Martin Wuerthne » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:03:18

Quote:> I am not implying that it is in any
> way responsible for the problem but it started just after I had  installed
> GemPrint. It put two files in !Boot.choices.boot.Tasks (can't remember the
> names exactly something like !!RunprintersGp and !RunPrintersG). I think
> it was the double pling one which generated an error message saying a file
> could not be found.

Which means that Gimp-Print has not been installed correctly.

Quote:> I thought the "!!" a bit unusual also it had a ".^." bit in it.

Both are perfectly normal and there for a purpose.

Quote:> Thinking I had found the problem, I deleted these two files -
> but no - its still there.

I cannot see how this would have anything to do with your other
problem, but certainly deleting the files is not a good idea, at least
not if you want to use Gimp-Print. In any case, having deleted these
files, you can be certain that no Gimp-Print components are running,
so if your dragging problem persists then this proves that Gimp-Print
has nothing to do with it.

If !!RunGP reports an error then this indicates that !GemPrint is not
located in the same directory as !Printers (or maybe !Printers has not
been seen, but this is unlikely because this is normally done
automatically by the boot sequence). !GemPrint not being where it
should be can happen if you have multiple copies of !Printers and the
one seen at start-up is not the one that was active when Gimp-Print
was installed.

You can always double-click on the !UnInstall script to remove
Gimp-Print and then install it again after a fresh boot.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier

Problem with !Boot RO 4.02

Post by druc » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:56:22

Quote:>      I have aquired a problem with my RiscPC + RiscOS 4.02 caused by what
> I guess might be the !Boot structure.

> Symptoms are:-
>                 The machine boots up and looks O.K. BUT if I drag a file
> anywhere BEFORE I launch an application the machine hangs without any kind
> of message. If I launch any application before I drag a file all is O.K.

> As soon as I start to drag the file the transfer icon appears but freezes
> before it leaves the window. Sometimes it gets a bit further than others
> before it happens but it never gets outside the window.

Do you have the task manager window open by any chance. There is a bug in
some versions of 4.x which occationally causes a lock up when a drag occurs.

Does Alt+Break work, and if so is any task name?

---druck