Draw file printing (+ XY Plotter)

Post by John Nola » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > > I am looking for an application that can print large Draw files
> (A1-A3)
> > > onto A4 sheets of paper with excellent registration between sheets.

> > > Does any such application exist?

I am not sure if non-Argo people can receive Argo News ARts, nor am I
up-to-date with all the latest techniques on cross-posting - although I am
aware of Pluto, which I may investigate. However, for obvious reasons,  this
is being cross-posted to comp.sys.acorn.hardware and comp.sys.acorn.misc
from original News Thread Re: Draw file printing in argonet.acorn.assist.

In case there is any interest, please reply to  comp.sys.acorn.hardware.

I have followed the thread with interest.

   Way back in 1986, I designed and built my own XY plotter, with a view to
selling kits etc. In those days I was well into BBC/6502 machine code, and
was writing my own CAD package, but that is another story. AS most of you
will know, XY plotters are best for vector type files (as opposed to bit
maps where printers are better).

   The plotter design is v. simple and has the following advantages,
assuming all the materials are still available
        - comparatively easy to build and repair -
        - can make use of some of your own materials -
        - in principle can be expanded to ANY paper size -
        - in principle can be modified to create 3D contour models -

   Main disadvantages
        - for those interested, getting the design/parts to you -
        - manual pen changing, at present. But things have moved on since
1986 and it should be possible to buy and to fit suitable pen changers -
    What defeated me on this score was the need to be able to make accurate
plastic mouldings of the parts needed to hold and park the pens.

   If there is sufficient interest, a co-operative effort could help.

 Cheers.

 John Nolan.

--
 __  __  __       _________________________________________________________
|__||__)/ __     /
_______________ AtomWide High Speed Port & USR 288   trying to keep up!:-|

Post by Phil » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> However, for obvious reasons,  this
> is being cross-posted to comp.sys.acorn.hardware and comp.sys.acorn.misc
> from original News Thread Re: Draw file printing in argonet.acorn.assist.

> In case there is any interest, please reply to  comp.sys.acorn.hardware.

>    If there is sufficient interest, a co-operative effort could help.

Yea, I'm interrested.  I'm building (over a long period of time) a thingy
that needs some common software.  What I've been looking for is something
to take a Draw file and spew out a list of X-Y co-ordinates which when followed
would create the drawing.

I'm sure there was a unix utility that did this, but don't recall which.
It may have been a function of "nroff/troff" or maybe "plot".  ISTR "spline"
looked handy too.  If the right combination could be found then you could string
together a proggy to go: DrawFile -> PostScript/GohstScript -> unix-utility ->
list_of_XYcoords -> hardware device.

I hope I can be of help.
Phill
--
All trademarks acknowleged. No liability accepted.
Opinions expressed are my own. I reserve the right to be wrong. 8-)

1. Draw files to XY coordinates

I have been working on an x/y plotter, see my site below, and have the desire
to be able to use !Draw files as a source to drive my plotter.  However I
don't know how to extract X,Y coordinates of 'best fit'.  Can anyone point
me in the right direction?

Many thanks for any assistance.

--

Try my super ROBOTICs educational site ---->

http://www.mtclearsc.vic.edu.au/Robotics/Robots.htm

2. amortization PD program

3. DIY XY Plotter

4. Domain Name Auto-Registration for Plugged-in IPv6 Nodes

5. Printing Draw Files

6. Which YACC tool do you recommend?

7. How to print a wide draw file

8. Have to buy a Laser Printer in the AM! Lexmark?

9. Acorn Draw file to PC Meta File

10. Printing from Draw -- buffers?

11. Draw Printing Problem

12. Draw printing problem.

13. Printing 32k and 16m colour sprites, jpegs etc from Draw