No news from Skynet for 2 days

Post by Wendy Gra » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:35:57

We haven't changed any settings, but for the last 2 days, going online has
downloaded zilch from any of the c.s.a... and other newsgroups we read. No
error message is generated, it goes throught the list but nothing happens.
This is just to see if a post to Skynet generates a message. I assume Skynet
(Belgium) must be doing some work on the servers over what is here a Bank
Holiday weekend, but it is unusual for them to be offline for so long!

Wendy
--
Homework Error 404: the page could not be found.

No news from Skynet for 2 days

Post by Adam » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:24:16

Quote:> We haven't changed any settings, but for the last 2 days, going online has
> downloaded zilch

Same here (until this morning) but I don't think there's a connection.
Maybe some news servers can't handle it when the traffic goes up a lot?
(E.g. weekends)

Adam

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/

Post by Stefaan Clae » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:57:11

> > We haven't changed any settings, but for the last 2 days, going online
> > has downloaded zilch
> Same here (until this morning) but I don't think there's a connection.
> Maybe some news servers can't handle it when the traffic goes up a lot?
> (E.g. weekends)

There are problems with the skynet newsserver but there are alternatives:
I'm using one of the newsservers of readfreenews (news.readfreenews.net)

 <http://www.readfreenews.org/>

Quote:> Adam

HTH

Stefaan

--

Post by Wendy Gra » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 02:03:11

> > > We haven't changed any settings, but for the last 2 days, going online
> > > has downloaded zilch

> > Same here (until this morning) but I don't think there's a connection.
> > Maybe some news servers can't handle it when the traffic goes up a lot?
> > (E.g. weekends)

> There are problems with the skynet newsserver but there are alternatives:
> I'm using one of the newsservers of readfreenews (news.readfreenews.net)

>  <http://www.readfreenews.org/>

Thanks. I finally managed to get through to a human being at one of the
Belgacom numbers, who confirmed that the server had crashed big time and was
going to be off for the foreseeable future.

Time to jump ship. As usual Google was my friend and recent c.s.a posts
recommended various free news servers. I went with aioe as I could not make
sense of claranet or terranews and I wanted a free one with no passwords etc.
It seems to have worked. Interesting that skynet managed to send the original
post out.

Anyway, I'm back :-)

Wendy
--
Homework Error 404: the page could not be found.

No news from Skynet for 2 days

Post by Dave Higto » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 04:25:09

Quote:> I finally managed to get through to a human being at one of the Belgacom
> numbers, who confirmed that the server had crashed big time and was going
> to be off for the foreseeable future.

> Time to jump ship. As usual Google was my friend and recent c.s.a posts
> recommended various free news servers. I went with aioe as I could not make
> sense of claranet or terranews and I wanted a free one with no passwords
> etc. It seems to have worked. Interesting that skynet managed to send the
> original post out.

> Anyway, I'm back :-)

Welcome back :-)

Dave

1. Good News Day

Good news comes in threes (for me anyway)

1. Peter Naulls has separated the PCCard code into managable chunks
for us DialUp users. (1.5Mb for the basic code)

2. New release of NetSurf that is almost back up to May/June speed.

3. Discussion about the use of VirtualEH on network cards , just as I
was going to have to ask.

Well done, and thanks to all involved.

--
|)    [

http://www.bryork.com

2. DeleteField

3. Acorn News: Schools Hit The Headlines In The TES Newspaper Day Awards

4. Typed Dataset table only gets one row

5. SkyNet was Adieu Goodbye Farewell hardware

6. Stuck with Dial up?

7. WSS phone nos

8. CREA/TERM/DETA <command>