Cookies and Oregano

Post by Dave Syme » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 02:54:38

> In a recent message           "John Williams (News)"

> [...]
> > Not, of course, that I am advocating names of more than 10
> > characters. That would be silly, despite Dave's protest. He'll be
> > wanting spaces in filenames next!

> However he may know about alt-space.

He does, but see my reply to John... Carbolic soap for you as well. ;-)

And as you are on RO 4.39 you can do spaces as well. :-/

Dave S

--

Cookies and Oregano

Post by druc » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:00:50

>>> What's with this 10 Character thingy, are we still in the 20th century?

>>> Real RO supporter use 4.02 or later, anyone with an earlier OS is just
>>> playing at it. ;-)

>> You can only have a max of 12 character names for applications, otherwise
>> the wimpprites don't work.

> In fact you can have more but the first 12 must be unique, so your
> CookieMonster would only listen to !CookieMonst

Its the first 10 characters of the filename including the pling. Sprite names
are 12 characters long to accomadate the large and small sprites !012345678
and sm!012345678 respectively.

---druck

Cookies and Oregano

Post by druc » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:03:56

> > Not, of course, that I am advocating names of more than 10 characters.
> > That would be silly, despite Dave's protest. He'll be wanting spaces in
> > filenames next!

> > John

> Not a protest John, just a concern that our beloved OS is retreating even
> farther back into the dark ages.

> If I so desired, I already have it, RO Select and Adjust do spaces in
> filenames...

The do not have space characters, they have a different character which has
the appearance of a space (160, the "hard space"), but does not break command
line parsing. The filer and other swoftware may transparently substitute
space for hardspace characters, but its important to remember the
distinction.

---druck

Cookies and Oregano

Post by Stephen C. Fros » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:51:51

> > [Snip]

> > > Whereas... Cookie cutter, Cookie stomper, Cookie Crusher,
> > > Cookie Toilet, Cookiegettheeffout of my machine, etc
> > > would be an application that removed cookies.  ;-)

> > Possibly! But they're all longer than 10 characters... ;-)

> Isn't there a point where life moves on.? If backward
> compatabillity were so important I would still be able to get
> into my '70s flared trousers :-)

I still can - just :-)

10 chars limit - SigMonster?

scf

--
Sig. under developement.... maybe.

Cookies and Oregano

Post by beamendslt » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:14:12

> > As RISC OS is British, perhaps something "biscuit" related would be more
> > appropriate: "Bread Beetle" or "Stegobium" gets my vote.  ;-)

> > http://www.hms.org.uk/nelsonsnavymaggot.htm

> Perhaps I ought to setup a poll on my website so that people can vote for
> the most appropriate name for it... hehe

!Weevil ?

Richard
--

RISC-OS - Where have all the good guys gone?
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay

Cookies and Oregano

Post by Bryn Evan » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 05:46:31

In a mad moment - beamendsltd mumbled :

>> > As RISC OS is British, perhaps something "biscuit" related would be more
>> > appropriate: "Bread Beetle" or "Stegobium" gets my vote.  ;-)

>> > http://www.hms.org.uk/nelsonsnavymaggot.htm

>> Perhaps I ought to setup a poll on my website so that people can vote for
>> the most appropriate name for it... hehe

> !Weevil ?

!Crumble    [ thats the way the cookie goes ]

--
|)    [

http://www.bryork.com

Cookies and Oregano

Post by S G » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:21:49

Quote:> !Crumble

That would get my vote.

--
Stewart Goldwater
http://www.janus.freeserve.co.uk/

Cookies and Oregano

Post by Tim Hil » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:30:11

[Snip]

Quote:

> > If I so desired, I already have it, RO Select and Adjust do spaces in
> > filenames...
> The do not have space characters, they have a different character which
> has the appearance of a space (160, the "hard space"), but does not
> break command line parsing. The filer and other swoftware may
> transparently substitute space for hardspace characters, but its
> important to remember the distinction.

And never, ever, ever, use spaces in filenames.

As one who has fallen foul of having to rename a huge number of files
because something (!FSI_batch or !ChangeFSI was it?) was completely
confused by them, use spaces in filenames at your peril.  ;-)

Got the t-shirt and the promotional world cup football.

Note: the app is called !FSI_Batch not "!FSI Batch". Irony, huh?

--
* Cheap phone bills? Gift shopping? www.timil.com/usenet.php
* Spam-proof Usenet address? Visit www.invalid.org.uk

... "Who can control his fate?" Othello, Act v, Sc.2

Cookies and Oregano

Post by Alan Wrigle » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:39:52

Quote:> God (according to my late father) put rhubarb on this earth specifically
> for crumble!

Stewed rhubarb on top of muesli for breakfast is rather nice too.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents

Cookies and Oregano

Post by Ian Lowr » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:54:05

>> God (according to my late father) put rhubarb on this earth specifically
>> for crumble!

> Stewed rhubarb on top of muesli for breakfast is rather nice too.

> Alan

Use a good fruit and nut muesli instead of plain oats to make the
topping for the crumble. That is real indulgence.

Fresh apricots come a close second to rhubarb in a crumble. Usually a
very bland and boring fruit until baked.

ian

--

Fax is stranger than fiction